Perfect Spot or Perfect Wind?

blake

Life Member
The idea for this poll was submitted by archer71, thanks Chad.

“Ever since I've been bowhunting, I have been fanatical about hunting with the perfect wind for a particular stand. I often sat in a less than perfect spot just because the wind direction was perfect.

Last year I did things differently. I wasn't so critical of the wind. I hunted stand locations if the wind was marginal, not perfect. I gave up certain directions that deer normally come from just to hunt that particular stand.

I had one of the best seasons ever as far as big buck encounters. In 4 days, I saw 6 bucks over 150" and not one of them winded me.

My question is... would you rather hunt the perfect spot with a marginal wind or the perfect wind in a marginal spot?”

The answer really depends on what time of year if its in the early season then I wont hunt unless I have both in my favor but when the chase is on you can never know for sure where they will come and start to hunt my best areas and still take wind into consideration but a marginal wind wont keep me out of a hotspot or good funnel when the chase is on. Although there are always some spots no matter how good it is or how much theyre moving that I wont hunt with certain wind directions because I will always get busted

Gotta love the perfect spot. Half the time they come from the opposite way we expect anyway making it the perfect wind also! :grin:

if it is a spot where they come from all directions the wind is always right for some deer & always wrong for others

Back