Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early Season Doe or Any Sex Season??

Yesterday I decieded to head back to the woods after taking a break for over a week. I set up in a new area that I had scouted earlier this year.

Right away I heard a few shots from some early doe hunters. I was watching a hillside across the valley (approx. 700 yrds away) and saw some deer. I watched them through my binoculars and there were 2 does, 3 fawns, a 1 1/2 year old buck and a 120"-130" buck.

I happened to see some orange in a strip of woods above the field where the deer were. Pretty soon there was a shot. I expected to see on of the does taking a dirt nap instead the 120"-130" buck was plowing dirt. I was furious however it's exactly what I expected. Wtihin 10 minutes a 4 wheeler showed up, loaded the deer, and took off over the hill.

I sat on stand trying to decide to get down and call the DNR or hunt. I decided to hunt because I figured it was too late already.

At about 8am I had 3 does, 3 fawns, and a small buck show up. I still had a doe tag so I decided to take a doe. After the shot, I waited for 1/2 hour before I went to find her. She went about 75 yrds and was piled up. As I was headed back to the truck i was walking over a rise and noticed a pickup driving down a field road. I stopped to watch what was going to happen. The truck stopped, rolled down the drivers window, and proceded to shoot several times into the woods. I could not see what they were shooting at, but I could only imagine if I had elected to head that direction to hunt this morning. They had no idea where I was or if anyone else was there as well.

I am pointing this out because I witness this myself and there were hundreds of hunters in the woods across the State. I understand that this is not represent the majority of the hunters throughout the State. These scum bags are the perfect reason that this early season does season needs to be eliminated. I am sure that the late season is no different.

I would still let the C.O. know about the events you witnessed. Shouldn't be hard to follow the leads there.

I agree on this season. I was sitting in my stand tonight listening to the shots going off and wondering what was dropping. You're right, it is just too much temptation for the lazy, slob poachers.

I've done my part in the past by calling them in.
I wish you would have too.You should have made a call.

I hope everybody has a cell phone and does the right thing...when they see something wrong.

Here's my reservation ragarding calling the C.O. In the past if he's not in the immediate area his response is "I'm only 1 person and ultimately the DNR wants all the deer shot"

With that type of attitude it's hard to believe that anyone is going to get in trouble.

The CO in my area would have jumped all over that like a fat kid on cake. It not to hard to prosecute if they find a buck at a residence with a bullet hole in it when there are no legal means of shooting a buck right now. The longer you wait the harder it will be to prove. If you saw the truck and atv and the guy load the buck up. All they would have to do is track the land owner down and see who had permission to hunt this weekend. Not to hard to do. I think you should still call. If the CO gives you any crap call his supervisor. If hes not going to do what hes paid to do he can look else where for a job. The state is looking for ways to cut the budget they can start with people who dont want to do what they are paid to do. I bet there are a 100 willing and ambitious people that would love to have his job and do it well. CALL YOUR CO ASAP

Steve Pierce retired from the DNR a few years back.He was one of the higher ups in the dept.He told me one time that during the November antlerless season EVERY group of hunters they stopped one year was doing something illegal.He said its the worst season we have for game violations.But they will never stop it because it was designed to allow service people and college people a chance to come home for Thanksgiving weekend and hunt.
I am sure there is a lot of bucks hanging in barns somewhere waiting 6 or 7 days to be tagged with shotgun tags.
I definately would call TIP.then THEY will make sure its investigated.

with all due respect, you may as well be an accessory to the crime if you dont do anything about it, you allowed it to happen right infront of you. you wouldnt let someone steal your neighbors car or truck without callin the law, its the same thing.

make the call they are thieves i would love to see this season go away especially after reading post after post this fall about dwindiling deer numbers the insurance companies are trying to ruin the only thing Iowa has left for hunting we all know pheasant numbers will never be back and the ducks dont seem to come through here like they once did deer and turkeys is about all we have left thats my opinion

You have to call that in when you see it. Just coming on here and telling us does nothing, instead of complaining about the situation you could solved it.

Another thing, I guess in general with regards to these situations. Remember dialing 911 may get you help faster than just calling a CO or Tip. I am in Law Enforcement and worked the road for a number of years before getting an office job. Myself along with many other of my co-workers would have jumped on something like this if we got the call. Just because it is a wildlife violation doesn't mean DNR is the only ones that can take care of it.

with all due respect, you may as well be an accessory to the crime if you dont do anything about it, you allowed it to happen right infront of you. you wouldnt let someone steal your neighbors car or truck without callin the law, its the same thing.

Good analogy.

Sounds like a rough area, shotgun season hasn't even started yet... Good luck with that.

get your CO's number saved in your phone and keep you phone with you at all times. I have called in Game and Fish violations from the tree and the cases were taken care of.

THinking the CO wont help you out is no excuse. Please make the call next time. if he is not available call the neighboring CO as that number should be saved in your phone also, if that doesnt work, call the sheriff!

:way:

I have the CO's number in phone and have used it a few times. Always a good idea to have it so you can get it on record that there is a problem going on. Although I have called the sheriff before and had it turn out to be one of the trespassers buddies from high school and it was swept under the rug so to speak.

Not trying to pile on or pick on you, but I don't understand how after seeing this stuff, you can come on here to complain about a bad season but hesitated to call the authorities! Whether you thought you might get a bad response or not you should always make the call to the CO, to TIP, and the Sheriff dept. Then there is a record and a chain of responsibility which the members of this board can't provide. I have 2 CO numbers and the TIP number in my phone and may add more if I have more trespasser problems this year. If you care enough to complain then care enough to complain and report to the people who can actually help. The DNR may or may not close a season with proper documentation, but they darn sure won't do it with out documentation of abuses. ALWAYS MAKE THE CALL!!!

I agree as well. I actually made another thread about it. ITs frustrating. DNR get rid of this season. PLEASE>

Top Bottom