Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Party Hunting

rtw4lc

If you are party hunting during shotgun season and you have a doe tag only can you shoot a buck and have someone else in the party put a buck tag on it?

It was my understanding that you could fill any unused tag buck or doe if you were party hunting.

Someone told me if you only have a doe tag you can only shoot a doe when party hunting?

as long as your hunting with that person you can. say i shoot a buck and only have a doe tag then my buddie can put his buck tag on it. but only during shotgun season

Party hunting is riduclous.I think Iowa is the only state in the area that allows party hunting.I am not sure though.I know Missouri doesn't.You can continue hunting in missouri after you have filled your tag but can't carry a gun.
What other states can you walk around the woods shooting deer without a tag in your pocket?
I know for a fact that there are people coming to Iowa from all over the country with only a doe tag in their pocket because they know the landowner has any-sex landowner tag and a paid gun tags they can fill.Why else would anyone drive her from Mississippi or Florida just to shoot a doe.The DNR knows it happens all the time but with party hunting it is legal.

Party hunting is riduclous.I think Iowa is the only state in the area that allows party hunting.I am not sure though.I know Missouri doesn't.You can continue hunting in missouri after you have filled your tag but can't carry a gun.
What other states can you walk around the woods shooting deer without a tag in your pocket?
I know for a fact that there are people coming to Iowa from all over the country with only a doe tag in their pocket because they know the landowner has any-sex landowner tag and a paid gun tags they can fill.Why else would anyone drive her from Mississippi or Florida just to shoot a doe.The DNR knows it happens all the time but with party hunting it is legal.

Party hunting is what Iowa is all about. If it weren't - then Iowa wouldnt have the hunting heritage it does. Its about comradery and having fun with your friends and family - not about big bucks and state issued tags. Who cares about that? I understand the NonResident thing but really if they are just up here with their family and friends.. Who cares?

I have two cousins from Florida that come up here each year during the Christmas break and shotgun hunt with my family with only doe tags in their pocket. And for the last three years they have each taken home a buck.. A good buck at that too.. I personally put my tag on a 156 inch ten last year for one of them. And my brother tagged a 174 for the other. Did we bicker about it?? No.. We are residents and that is our priviledge to do that or not. If you have such a problem with it then you are no different than any other PETA member that cares too strongly about the petty hunting issues. GO HUNT - quit whining or go update your PETA membership. LETS HAVE FUN.

i dont agree with the non res shooting a deer they dont have a tag for, that is poaching no matter what way you look at it! i dont care if their buddy has a tag, thats their buddies tag with his buddies name on it.

Party hunting is what Iowa is all about. If it weren't - then Iowa wouldnt have the hunting heritage it does. Its about comradery and having fun with your friends and family - not about big bucks and state issued tags. Who cares about that? I understand the NonResident thing but really if they are just up here with their family and friends.. Who cares?

I have two cousins from Florida that come up here each year during the Christmas break and shotgun hunt with my family with only doe tags in their pocket. And for the last three years they have each taken home a buck.. A good buck at that too.. I personally put my tag on a 156 inch ten last year for one of them. And my brother tagged a 174 for the other. Did we bicker about it?? No.. We are residents and that is our priviledge to do that or not. If you have such a problem with it then you are no different than any other PETA member that cares too strongly about the petty hunting issues. GO HUNT - quit whining or go update your PETA membership. LETS HAVE FUN.

I am in PETA

Poaching is shooting a deer illegally. Party hunting is legal. Its not poaching no matter which way you look at it. As long as your buddy is fine with tagging the buck you shot there is no problem with it. Its his buck tag so its his right to do with it what he wants. Not everybody has the same style of hunting. Just because you don't party hunt doesn't mean its bad or wrong. People who party hunt should make sure before the hunt what their tag situation is. I know i wouldn't put my buck tag on somebody's buck if all they had was a doe tag. Some people might be fine with it but i'm not. Iowa isn't the only state to allow party hunting. Wisconsin is another one around here that does.

Last edited:
Oh Boy

727-canofworms_675996.jpg

Are those things better fried or just boil em up?

Party hunting actually started back when there were very few deer and we had to draw a tag. About 75 or 80 percent of those tags back then were for bucks only and there were darn few bucks. To get an any sex tag was like the Golden Ticket to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. That meant that you could shoot a doe if that is all you saw. If you shot a buck then you would tag it with someones buck only tag and then all of you would continue hunting. I can remember out of a family group of 10 or 11 you might only get 8 tags and 6 of those would be bucks only. Back then it was a great season if you harvested a deer ( any deer) so you might only get to use 3 or 4 of those tags but the any sex almost always went on a doe, and the meat was kind of divided up between every one. Now party hunting means a chance to kill multiple bucks if you can get some one to tag them. One big question I have always have had is about possession. The DNR regs say that the deer is considered in the possession of the persons whose tag is on it. How then can another person transport that deer, which is in another hunter's possession? If an out of state hunter kills a buck and has a resident tag it for him, how can the NR transport someone else's buck across many state lines? That doesn't seem right to me!

Party hunting really isn't much of a hunt anyway...its kind of like hunting for people with no woodsmanship, ethics, etc.

Last edited:
Party hunting really isn't much of a hunt anyway...its kind of like hunting for people with no woodsmanship, ethics, etc. Pussies.

My guess is some people don't party hunt because they can't find enough people who can stand spending five days walking around the woods with them.

Last edited:
I'm taking my 14 year old son this weekend and have 2 tags in my pocket. I dont even plan on pulling the trigger just let him shoot them up. I have my fun with the bow! Thats party hunting and I dont see anything wrong with it.IowaChiro theres sheds and garages all over this state that you wouldnt make it out of this saturday night with that attitude.

i dont agree with the non res shooting a deer they dont have a tag for, that is poaching no matter what way you look at it! i dont care if their buddy has a tag, thats their buddies tag with his buddies name on it.

I definitely think you need to consider this statement before you get all high and mighty and think that you are Mr. Ethical and know the difference between whats poaching and what is not. Please read...

Poaching is shooting a deer illegally. Pary hunting is legal. Its not poaching no matter which way you look at it. As long as your buddy is fine with tagging the buck you shot there is no problem with it. Its his buck tag so its his right to do with it what he wants. Not everybody has the same style of hunting. Just because you don't party hunt doesn't mean its bad or wrong. People who party hunt should make sure before the hunt what their tag situation is. I know i wouldn't put my buck tag on somebody's buck if all they had was a doe tag. Some people might be fine with it but i'm not. Iowa isn't the only state to allow party hunting. Wisconsin is another one around here that does.

Party hunting really isn't much of a hunt anyway...its kind of like hunting for people with no woodsmanship, ethics, etc. Pussies.

Try standing tall in a timber with shots being fired in every direction while still trying to pick out the deer you are going to shoot. Then you call call someone a pussy. :way: If you want to give it a try in my group I would love to bring you along... ;)

Last edited:
Some people obviously aren't intelligent enough to know that you can "party hunt" while sitting in a stand with not a single soul closer than a 15 minute drive to their stand. Party hunting has nothing to do with groups or drives or pushing timber. Where does skill or ethics enter into the picture? Calling other legal hunters Pussies is usually done by the same kind of people who never bother to identify them selves in their bios and do things anonymously like highly skilled poachers, and who want to stir the pot.:thrwrck:

I take it back

Let me rephrase..people who chase big bucks during shotgun 1, shotgun 2, and muzzleloader season....who have groups of 12 guys pushing, those guys suck, and really I don't get how they feel any "pride" about the bucks they kill that way.

Top Bottom