Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Homemade Mineral Mix Recipe

SCOFFIN

Miles Coffin
Is there a place in DSM or Johnston where I can buy all this in one place..

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE

Ingredients: Makes 250 lbs

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags, you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Look for the highest amounts of calcium and phosphorus on the label.
Comes in 50lb Bags, you need two bags.

2 parts Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags, you need two bags.

That's the exact recipe I use. You can buy the trace mineral salt and stock salt in a store such as farm and fleet, but, you'll have to go to a feed store to get the di-cal.
I'll be up in Johnston next monday evening through the 7th at camp dodge and I can bring you some di-cal if you want.. I think I have a bag and a half of it left yet. Let me know, and I'll call the dealer I got it from and find out how much I paid for it.. I used coffee cans for my "parts". If you just want me to bring you a coffee can or two, i'll bring that up and i wont charge ya anything for it

One other thing you can add is dried molasses. You can buy it at a feed store and they love it. I combine it with the same ingredients as above.

Thanks for the offfer Airassult, but somebody recommended a coop in Alleman that does carry the stuff. As soon as RAGBRAI clears out I'll be heading up to get a bag. Thanks for the help..

Free Di-calcium phosphate

I no long utilize mineral licks, so if any of you guys in SW Iowa want a free bag of Di-calcium phosphate let me know. Send me a PM and we can make arrangements for you to pick it up. :)

I believe a study was done and proved just plain stock salt is all you need for a lick , Di-cal ,and mineral salt is just a waste of money.
just my 2cents

I believe a study was done and proved just plain stock salt is all you need for a lick , Di-cal ,and mineral salt is just a waste of money.
just my 2cents

I'm no chemist or anything like that, but the di-cal is what is actually good for them. Helps lactating does in the spring is the primary reason I put it out. They won't ingest the di-cal without it being mixed with salt. Putting it out this late in the year, I would say its a waste because in my experience, deer really slow down at the mineral sites in the first week or two of september and almost completely quit using them before october even hits. I like to put it out in march/april

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom