Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antlerless Deer Tag Poll

Antlerless Deer Poll

• I will harvest one antlerless deer!

Votes: 46 44.2%
  • I will not harvest any antlerless deer this year!

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • I will buy a doe license and use it if I don't get a buck!

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I will buy as many doe licenses as I legally can and try to fill them all.

Votes: 28 26.9%
  • I Never buy a doe license!

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I don't think there is a deer population problem!

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I will buy doe tags, but I don't plan to shoot any does

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters

blake

Life Member
I have seen a number of comments on iowawhitetail about low deer numbers in many counties across the state.

Many members feel that deer hunters must manage Iowa’s deer herd since Governor Branstad decided he knew more about managing the deer herd than the DNR did.

So here is the question:

If you purchased an antlerless deer license this year in Iowa are you going to harvest a deer or throw the tag away?

Last edited:
Im hunting a new farm this year and the neighbors don't want to shoot any deer so our group has been asked to do some population control.

Mobile Cooter

I will be hunting at least one state park management hunt, also have a strawberry farm owner who wants all the deer killed.

The poll option I was hoping to see was that "I might buy a couple of antlerless tags" (without statement on filling them). The way the choices are, you either shoot one or it's an all out slaughter.

The poll option I was hoping to see was that "I might buy a couple of antlerless tags" (without statement on filling them). The way the choices are, you either shoot one or it's an all out slaughter.

I agree! I may buy 4-6 doe tags, and I hope to harvest at least 4, my family loves the meat and there is not ANY problem with deer populations in the county I hunt.

what the heck is a tag for. here in ms we drop em and throw em in the truck. all you have to buy is a hunting lisence.

Get my does in a management hunt< I will take a minimum of three to earn my city buck tag for next year. Hope to start Sunday depending on family. I bought one for a farm I hunt out of the city but will be in no hurry to fill it. Just depends on how the season goes.

I will buy at least 4.. only really want to shoot one.. I just like to keep my options open.. deer numbers are down in my area also, so I won't go overboard.. I think I bought like 7 last yr and only filled 2 or 3

Do you like the poll better now??????????????:D

I feel bad for the folks that are in low deer populations and are surrounded & infested with ignorant hunters. You and I both meet these folks all the time and know these guys are gonna blast with no biological concern in mind. What gets me is every one of the guys I'm talking about are "deer experts" (like anyone is, even farmers who don't hunt) & you can't reason with MOST of them. They're gonna do whatever they wanna do, regardless of what makes the most biological sense & the only solution will be a regulation change in those low population areas.

Why would you buy a doe tag/tags, and not plan on harvesting a doe/does??
Cuz then some other moron who likes to shoot deer, just to shoot deer has less doe tag/tags to use in counties with low populations. I have definitely noticed a drop in deer numbers in my neck of the woods(in certain areas). I don't plan on harvesting any, but if I don't fill my early muzzleloader tag before the last day, I might be taking a trip to a deer infested farm and taking one out to fill the freezer.

I am also a guy who likes to see deer when I am hunting. Also have places where the population has been demolish. Then you have places where the two guys hunt large tracks and only take one or two deer. The deer do not disperse to where the guys that are willing to do what the DNR wants in a lot of counties. Then they do their counts and still see large numbers. So in a way all of us contribute to the issue. So plant your screens so the DNR can't count them unless they fly over and the other guys keep shooting.

Keep on calling each other dumb and the other guy is the problem.

I see the dead horse coming around the corner.

Mobile Cooter

I will probably buy 4 or 5 antlerless tags, but will only try to harvest off of the farms where there is a tremendous amount of does.

I'm giving the Doe's a year off. Only seen about 10 does in two stand locations all year long last year. Buck sightings were WAY off the charts. Previous years this has been totally opposite. 2nd Shotgun season was all button bucks and small bucks. Didn't see one doe and I was hunting SE Iowa.

I plan on only taking one doe this year, and that is in the Ames urban hunt. Other than that I enjoy seeing a lot of deer where I hunt and the numbers are not reflecting that too well currently.

Top Bottom