Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

It is safe to spray clethodium and atrazine around my first year fruit trees now, I also have Platuea don't want to kill them they did really well just getting some foxtail. Thanks

Yep. Fine. All 3 of those r great and safe. Use crop oil. Even though they r safe- I still take my sprayer tip or nozzle & angle away from tree and spray around it. No- it wouldn't & shouldn't hurt to get on trees but I still avoid it and it's super simple to create a more course mist and avoid overspray on trees. Spray away.

So my Local TSC is Damn near giving apple trees away $10.00 a piece 6ft trees , would they make it in the Pots all winter if I couldn't plant till spring ? The trees I would have to keep in my yard till the spring when I could transplant them to my farm and Plant. Would the roots freeze and kill the trees above ground ?

So my Local TSC is Damn near giving apple trees away $10.00 a piece 6ft trees , would they make it in the Pots all winter if I couldn't plant till spring ? The trees I would have to keep in my yard till the spring when I could transplant them to my farm and Plant. Would the roots freeze and kill the trees above ground ?

I would dig a hole and temporarily plant them. Protect the trunks from mice and rabbits and mulch them. Dig them back up late winter and plant in their permanent homes. If you leave them in the pots unprotected over winter there is a very good chance they will die.

I put trees in my cold garage. It keeps it from going below about 25. I do it when it gets really cold. Water em. Fine. Or- ya- mulch em & put em under ground. Protect the heck out of trunks.
Keep in mind what rootstock they r. If those r dwarf trees- there's more to discuss for a farm/hunting situation.

$10 trees is what you can pay for exactly what variety you want with the right rootstock (5-6' trees). Just have to get a few people together to order the minimum to get to that pricepoint (doesn't take much). From my experience, you don't know what you are getting from TSC, Lowes, Home depot, Menards, etc as far as rootstock. yes, better than not planting, but I would encourage you to dig deeper into this thread. It will save you years of frustration later. (been there)

Last edited:
Where is a good place to buy bare root fruit trees? I have ordered from Stark Brothers before and got dwarf supreme 4-5' trees but would like something with better branching. I don't mind paying more for better tres.

Where is a good place to buy bare root fruit trees? I have ordered from Stark Brothers before and got dwarf supreme 4-5' trees but would like something with better branching. I don't mind paying more for better tres.

Are you growing these for human consumption or wildlife? Dwarf trees are a poor choice for wildlife. You will not get highly branched bare root trees especially if shipped (unless they are tall spindle grade dwarfs). Primarily because root size and vegetative top growth needs to be balanced out when the trees are dug. Semi dwarf trees are a better choice for wildlife they will be producing in 3-5 years (depending on variety) and the quantity of fruit will far exceed any dwarf tree as it matures.

I apologize I believe I have semi dwarf trees. Right now they are for human consumption but I would like to plant some in my timber for the deer. I need to buy cedar apple rust resistant ones because of all the cedar trees around me.

I have two orchards, one by my house and one across the road by my shop. The one by my house the deer keep,the small trees trimmed. The one by my shop they are leaving alone. I should mention none of the trees have had fruit on them yet, the largest tree is 6-7' tall.

Last edited:
look for rootstock Emla-111 or otherwise bud-118. 111 preferred. Largest of grafted stock that does Well in clay type soils, etc. doesn't root sucker much, doesn't usually need a massive amount of staking to keep up, high volume production, etc. longer to produce but a far better tree long term- no question.
I'd look at some pollinating crabapple varieties to add to ur rust resistant trees and also do a few varieties. I go heaviest on Arkansas black, enterprise, Yates, liberty, freedom, limbertwig, empire, etc. I do have my reasoning and spraying routine to do pink lady, goldrush, etc as well. Heck- all apples need some care & watching but not horrid.

I have 3 prairie fire crab apples in my orchard next to our home. In the other orchard I have lots of blackberries and raspberries to help keep bees around as well as other flowering perennials and shrubs.

I have Liberty, red delicious, honey crisp, mackintosh, empire, peach trees, and a cherry tree right now.

Is there anywhere local (in the Midwest) that sells fruit tres for wildlife?

Eventually there will be ;). (& a whole lot better - long story)
I think there's a few nurseries in Missouri. Lots of sources around the country for 1 year one grafted trees that are great. Eventually I'm going to sell something no one has. But yes- there's lots of sources for 1 year old emla-111 tees with good disease resistance. There's one grower on here that's in Iowa that sells these trees as well. I forget who but I know he has posted here before. Probabably can search for old posts.

Eventually there will be ;). (& a whole lot better - long story)
I think there's a few nurseries in Missouri. Lots of sources around the country for 1 year one grafted trees that are great. Eventually I'm going to sell something no one has. But yes- there's lots of sources for 1 year old emla-111 tees with good disease resistance. There's one grower on here that's in Iowa that sells these trees as well. I forget who but I know he has posted here before. Probabably can search for old posts.

Tell me your doing some mad scientist grafting to create a single tree with 6-8 disease resistant varieties with staggering maturity dates covering October and November. That would be AWESOME.

Hmmmm.... How could I put it...... Minus a little bit/some of the Mad-scientist part, SOME of that. So, a little mad-scientist part + add the part you want, September to December for Attraction and FINALLY...... Deduct 10 years off what all of us are trying to do with planting trees. Put it this way - it's what everyone wants & you there's nothing else that compares, nothing else like it. It defines NICHE and is almost PERFECTION as far as fruit trees go. Best case scenario I could dream up..... I dreamt it up and made it happen, put it that way. ;) This is years in the making & I'm still 1-2 years out for: end result & product ready. Yes, most used on my own farm & that's why I did this, but I went bananas with my idea/supply so I'll probably deal with some surplus. More to come as it gets closer. :)

Well last year I planted 30 apple trees from Lowes, TSC I grabbed as many different verities I could obviously there was a lot of the same tree, All but 1 is still alive so I felt like I did good. Followed directions on this sight. I mixed in chestnuts and Crab apples as well. SO you guys these tree will end up dying ? I want to plant 30 more but I cant pant early spring for bare root . What is different about trees from TSC , Lowes what not. ? Don't want waste my time and money. I also planted some Crab Apples from Native Nursery.

Usually those trees are grafted on dwarf rootstock. Meant for behind ur house. A little tree that will stay small but produce faster. U simply need to find out what rootstock it is. For a hunting farm- that's not ideal if it's a dwarf tree

1st year is the hardest on survival and staggers lower in difficulty out to about 5 years. Drought - has to be watered. Trunks must be protected and really the whole tree. Bugs & fungus, etc. it's not incredibly difficult but it's like planting ANYTHING... u need to educate on the proper steps and learn how to deal with "xyz" problem. Read back in this thread and u will see a lot of ur questions answered.

In a nutshell I feel like you are settling by buying a box store tree.

Like skip said you are settling on rootstock

You are settling on variety both for maturity date and disease resistance. ie.... better to pick maturity dates in October and November than August

For the same exact price (get together with some peeps) you can get the EXACT tree you want in the best rootstock possible. (be aware of supply limitations and plan a year+ in advance).

$10 is $10, but the trees are very much different.

Has anyone had success using Hormodin #3 root hormone to propogate new apple saplings? Malus is listed in the species list for #2 and #3? Just curious......

Has anyone had success using Hormodin #3 root hormone to propogate new apple saplings? Malus is listed in the species list for #2 and #3? Just curious......

Most people don't do direct root cuttings. Most want a better root stock and thus the talk of grafted trees. I think it would be a real crap shoot on how well a direct rooted cutting would survive wind, weather and time.

Top Bottom