Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lyon's trail cam

Checked a camera yesterday in the same location as my previous pictures. Finally had CJ out in the daylight which hasn't happened since I first got pictures of him in 2014.

Another nice one that I posted a video of a few weeks ago.

A dandy ten that is working on a G5 on his right side.

This guy is young but I like the potential for how tall his tines are! Could be really cool in a couple years!

Finally, a hard horned buck. Only have this one picture, but I'm thinking he looks fairly old. I wish I had another picture or two, he looks like he has some character on his 2's.

Great pics. It almost looks to me like that last buck could have a double G3 on his left side but maybe I'm seeing something from the other side there.

CJ is a stud! Awesome to see some hard horn! Can't wait to see what shows up in the next couple months!

Great bucks! crazy to see hard horns already. I saw a 140's 10 last week that was already hard horned as well.

Checked a couple of cameras this morning on the way to work and had CJ out again in the daylight on the 9th. I'll be doing some weather checking from his last daylight run to this one and see if there's a correlation.
He got rid of his velvet as well!

The hard horned buck in my last post also showed up in the daytime, twice. The second showing was an hour after CJ. That would have been a fun day to be in the stand! What are your thoughts on age? His front end looks mature but he's got a skinny butt.

Another neat young guy showing up on the same property.

Finally I've been working on establishing a food plot at a property I'm managing for an out of state friend. I'll try to get some pictures of the plot on here sometime but man it is coming along nicely for being an absolute poor mans "let's just pretty much wing it" type of thing! I went out there on Sunday to check the plot and add a little more nitrogen to my Turnip and Rape section. Then I attached a small dead oak sapling to a post in the food plot to act as a scrape/rub/whatever the curious deer want it to be. Here's a daylight pic of the setup with my ugly mug. I don't normally have a buzz cut but I had a mishap with the clippers a week and a half ago and the rest is history... Everybody does food plot work in shorts and flip flops right??? The stand in the background is at about 20 yards. My daughter was sitting in it while I was working on stuff.

Two days later..

Nice bucks you have there. Looks like your mock scrape is going to pay off this year.

One more update before we roll into season here. Much of the same. CJ did show up again in the daylight on the 21st. He's also there about 2/3 of the nights just shortly after dark. Having him out and about in daylight gives me some hope. I'll be getting after it fairly hard here in the first couple of weeks just to see if he'll slip up while I'm in the tree.

I'm still trying to figure out this guys age....thoughts?

Good luck and be safe out there everyone!

Pulled another card yesterday on the property that usually doesn't have much for buck activity until later october (based on last year). Had a couple of bucks checking out my mock rub. Last year was the first year I had permission to hunt this property and I saw a couple of really nice ones out there, but for the most part, it was filled with multiple 110-130" 8 or 9 pointers. Looks like it may be ringing true again this year.
IMAG0004.JPG

IMAG0006.JPG

IMAG0142.JPG

Although I did sit out there last friday morning and saw a really nice one about 250 yards away. If I had to guess, I'd say he's a 150" 10. Hopefully I can get some pics of him soon.

I also checked a camera on the property where CJ lives and I just came to the realization that there is a very profound genetic trait out there. It took me awhile to figure out these first two were different deer. But check out the leaning G3 on these 3 deer.
MFDC0528.JPG
MFDC0529.JPG
MFDC0083.JPG

I went out and sat last night in front of the storm that rolled in. Had high hopes but it was stupid windy and I think that had the deer hunkered down. I checked a camera right below the stand and wouldn't you know it, if I had been in that stand, Friday, Saturday or Sunday night I could have had a shot at the two deer on that property that I have on my list.

CJ on Friday night.
MFDC0774.JPG

And Doc Ock on Saturday and Sunday nights. I decided to finally give this guy a name and landed on Doc Ock (Dr. Octopus from Spiderman) due to the huge crab-claw like feature of his main beam and G3's. It reminds me of the grabbers on the ends of Doc Ock's tentacles.
MFDC0784.JPG

MFDC0806.JPG

I'm hoping to check another camera tomorrow morning that I hung over a scrape a week ago on a different property. We'll see what it produces.

Oh! One more pic I forgot about. This is a first for me. I've had lots of coyotes, but never one with a meal in its mouth!
MFDC0646.JPG

Well, unfortunately for me the story on CJ has come to an end. The neighbor got him. I haven't talked to him yet, don't know exactly when he got him, just saw the picture on facebook. On a positive note, I saw Doc Ock last night feeding in a field. He was right where I wanted to be, but I got there about a half hour too late and he was already out in the field. So I'll be out there early today and hopefully he does the same thing....

CJ.jpg

Top Bottom