Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Accura Load

isu22andy

My new CVA Accura MR s shooting like a Walmart gun with a Tasco scope . Can't get a group under a coffee can at 100 yards . Using Barnes 250g Spirfire tmz sabots and 90 gr BH 209 and 100 gr BH 209 . Scope is tight to the gun . Using a TC clear powder volume measure. Cci magnum primers . Been seating the load using my whole body weight every shot and even using a lead sled . Change bullet time ? What are you guys shooting in your accura ? I bought this with hopes It would be a 200 yard gun .

I would definitely try a bullet change first thing. I have a CVA accura V2 and am not getting the superb groups I was hoping for. Went through trying 6 different bullets I believe. Some worse than others, the worst being about what you are saying if I remember correctly. I still have quite a few of the "trial" bullets if you want some to run through it and see if any of them are money! One thing to consider that I've screwed up in the past that can make a HUGE difference is don't let your barrel get hot. If you were shooting on an 80 degree day, and firing quickly, that hot barrel can really start throwing bullets all over the place.

I shot six today ... The first two were within an inch of each other . The rest were thrown all over hell . 4 high 2 low 3 right . Maybe I need to let it cool more. What bullets did you settle on ?

I would definitely try again and give that barrel lots of time to cool, just to make sure. Hornady SST's shot well, but I shot 1 deer with them and will never use them again. Zero expansion. Last year I went with 290 gr. TMZ. However, they got really tight after the first shot (using BH209). Once it cools down outside, I'm going to play with some 290 gr. TEZ's to see if they group well or not. The TMZ's grouped decent, maybe 1.5" - 2" at 100. Killing deer with that, but I am really wanting to get MOA.

I don't know what to tell you. First I've heard of people not being able to hit consistently with that combo. That's the exact amount of BH209 and the same weight and bullet that I use to get touching groups at 100 and can hit a 4 inch plate at 175

Barrel heating may well be part of your problem. Might try losing the "lead sled" too. They do not let a gun recoil consistently and even if you do get a decent group with it, it may not be the same point of impact as when you are hunting. Ask any serious benchrest shooter about them. Sandbags will give you a better idea of what will happen hunting. Use one between gun & shoulder if you are recoil sensitive. "Flinch" opens a group up pretty quick too.

isu22andy said:
I shot six today ... The first two were within an inch of each other . The rest were thrown all over hell . 4 high 2 low 3 right . Maybe I need to let it cool more. What bullets did you settle on ?

I know your shooting BH and it's supposed to be clean but maybe try running a patch.

I had heard from a buddy he had a hard time getting consistent groups with the Mountain Rifle version of this gun so he got rid of it. went back to his Triumph

Ive had 3 different CVA's myself and know a coupld other guys with them... what Ive had the best results with as far as bullets are 300grain knight red hots... they shoot great and its basically a Barnes expander bullet with a different sabot, seems to do the trick

You might need to try a different sabot if it's loading really hard. Make a mark on your push rod then you'll know if it's seating the same each time. Dumb question, but do you have the breach plug to shoot BH? I've some having issues with the flash hole getting partially fouled on a CVA after several shots using BH and they use an 8th inch drill bit, I think, turning it with their fingers to clean the hole out. You said the 1st two shot good and the other 4 were all over the place? Only time I've heard of BH doing this was due to fouling in the breach plug fire hole. Horse might be right with getting the barrel too hot or you're just plain flinching.

iowavf said:
You might need to try a different sabot if it's loading really hard. Make a mark on your push rod then you'll know if it's seating the same each time. Dumb question, but do you have the breach plug to shoot BH? I've some having issues with the flash hole getting partially fouled on a CVA after several shots using BH and they use an 8th inch drill bit, I think, turning it with their fingers to clean the hole out. You said the 1st two shot good and the other 4 were all over the place? Only time I've heard of BH doing this was due to fouling in the breach plug fire hole. Horse might be right with getting the barrel too hot or you're just plain flinching.
Not loading terribly hard . Yep got breach plug in it and have turned the drill bit into the flash hole to clean it . Gonna go try it again today if I get time with the remaining two sabots with cold and clean barrel .

I have 2 CVA Accura MR, 1 has a tight barrel that I had to use the Harvester Black Crush Rib sabots with which ever bullet it liked, the other one liked the Harvester easy load, Black smooth sabots, As far as bullets, the TEZ's and the Hornady Mono flex, shot great out of them, along with just about everything else that I stuffed down it, Mine likes 110 gr of BH 209, Should give the barrel about 6 to 10 minutes between shots to let the barrel cool, if it is in the 50's 6 minutes to cool. BH plug, I clean mine after every 6 to 10 shots, use the drill bit, turn it by hand until carbon is cleaned out.

As a noob I started with 80 grains of blackhorn... groups really well at 100. Is this going to be enough or should I up the grains?

If you compare that to pyrodex or 777 pellets (not loose 777) it's like shooting 96 grn of that powder. It should be fine at around 100 yards but if you feel you might have longer shots, you could try add 5 grn at a time a shoot a couple rounds and see how it groups.

How far will you be shooting, or feel you want to shoot and still be accurate and feel good with the shot?
150 yards or less, 100 gr of Bh 209 still has plenty of power to take a deer at that range, 110 gr of powder, I have taken deer out to 265 yards, and coyotes out to 300 yards, but I do a lot of range time, and know what the guns can do and what they like.

Your gun will let you know what it likes, when you are getting a tight group and it starts to open up, then you will know what it likes for the best accuracy.

Do a search for Drop Dead Center bullets. I use them and weigh my powder and get great results. Shot 9 deer with them and everyone dropped within feet. I am sold on them as you can tell. I use triple seven granulated powder.

Top Bottom