Iowawhitetail forums

Go Back   Iowawhitetail forums > Whitetail Conference > Whitetail Management > Dbltree's corner
Register Blogs FAQ Members List IW Links IW Photo Gallery PMA Big Buck Contest PMA Membership Detail Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hunting Land 4-Sale
Sponsors
Lick Creek Enterprises
Feeder Information

Blind Information

Old 07-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #21
dbltree

Default Re: Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

Anybody that is interested in the corn/bean combo might want to check out this post. Looks like he's got it going on with his...although from the looks of his "un-nipped" beans, he may not have any deer [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

Great pics and a good looking plot:

RR corn/soybean plot

When I get where I'm going...don't cry for me down here

Dbltree Habitat Enhancement - Paul & Jesse Knox, Birmingham, Iowa
dbltree2000@yahoo.com
jknox0623@gmail.com

IBA Member
Pheasants Forever Member
National Wild Turkey Federation

Joshua 24:15
dbltree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #22
dbltree

Default Re: Fertilizing Corn

Quote:
What kind and what amounts of fertilizer do you use on corn food plots? With the cost of fertilizer I don't want to over do it but I also want the best corn crop that I can get.

It's always best to soil test of course but here are some thoughts.

Corn needs a heavy dose of nitrogen which of course is the most expensive input.

In the past I have always put on 500#'s of triple 19 per acre which gave me nearly a hundred pounds actual of NPK and then side dressed another 100# of 46% in June for a total of nearly 150#'s of N per acre.

I sent in a soil test this winter and I only need about 30# of P&K per acre since I have built fertility levels up.

I need 180#'s of N though. Ideally the best method is to knife in anhydrous ammonia but that is difficult for a small food plot.

Urea or 46% is the next best option and it's best to till it in right after spreading it on or most of it will be lost within 24-48 hours.

It's difficult to get much of a corn crop with out a bare minimum of 80-100# of actual nitrogen per acre...and more is better.

400-500#'s of triple 19 tilled in before planting is a good easy analysis to put on for corn.

Another option is 300-400#'s of 6-24-24 at planting and then side dressing 100-150#'s of 46% urea just before a good rain (you need a 1/2" of more) in early to mid June.

This winter N was $450 a ton and P&K was about $250 to 300 a ton but those prices have no doubt went up.

dbltree2000@yahoo.com
jknox0623@gmail.com

IBA Member
Pheasants Forever Member

Old 04-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #23
huntdoc
PMA Member

Are you going to give it another try this year?
huntdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #24
dbltree

Quote:
Are you going to give it another try this year? [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif[/img]

Yes...I'm glutton for punishment and corn is still #1 for food and cover...so stay tuned for round 2! [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

I'll be covering everything in the thread of course but two main problems I have are high deer density and foxtail.

I'll be planting plenty of "candy" plots to try to draw deer away from the corn/bean combo.

I'll be using Dual Magnum 2 herbicide for residual control along with Roundup.

Dual Magnum is safe for both corn and soybeans not to mention a host of other crops.

I would love to try these RR Forage Soybeans but with shipping they are nearly $50 bucks a bag versus $15 bucks for leftover RR soybeans locally.

I like Mali's method of planting basically in the same row also:

dbltree2000@yahoo.com
jknox0623@gmail.com

IBA Member
Pheasants Forever Member

Old 04-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #25
turkeyriver
PMA Member

I'm going to try something a little different this year to keep the deer from going down the row and nipping off everthing early. I'm going to turn the population down on my planter and plant the plot BOTH directions. With crossing rows everwhere the deer won't be able to move so easily or at least will lose the ability to move down each row. What do you think?
turkeyriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #26
dbltree

Quote:
I'm going to try something a little different this year to keep the deer from going down the row and nipping off everthing early. I'm going to turn the population down on my planter and plant the plot BOTH directions. With crossing rows everwhere the deer won't be able to move so easily or at least will lose the ability to move down each row. What do you think?

If your planting corn only and using a pre-emergence herbicide then I've heard it does help.

If your using RR corn and you have to spray several times then you run over some corn while spraying...and it doesn't recover like soybeans.

I'm not sure it would even phase my herd of food plot raiders...but I'am at least going to double plant the end rows.

Looking back at the pics I really don't think they would have cared if the whole thing would have been broadcast even [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img]

Dang critters anyhow [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

dbltree2000@yahoo.com
jknox0623@gmail.com

IBA Member
Pheasants Forever Member

Old 04-03-2007, 07:13 AM   #27
turkeyriver
PMA Member

Do you mix your corn and beans in the planter box? I've got a JD 7000 planter. If you mix them do you use bean or corn units?
turkeyriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #28
dbltree

Quote:
Do you mix your corn and beans in the planter box? I've got a JD 7000 planter. If you mix them do you use bean or corn units?

That's what I have also but I've always planted the beans...then switch planter drives and planted the corn.

I'm not sure if soybeans would go thru the corn drive or not, be nice if they would but I haven't tried it.

One could just jump the population way up and mix the seed if that would work.

Right now I'm just going to offset my rows slightly and plant the beans first and then go back over it planting the corn.

Last year I sprayed RUP three times and I ran over to many soybeans with them being broadcast.

The commercial sprayers are huge and cover a wide span but my little sprayer doesn't cover very much. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif[/img]

dbltree2000@yahoo.com
jknox0623@gmail.com

IBA Member
Pheasants Forever Member

Old 04-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #29
dbltree

Default Re: Corn and beans/input costs

While nobody is a bigger fan of corn then I am, it's important to understand the high input costs of corn, corn vs beans and the RR corn/bean scenario.

Nitrogen costs have skyrocketed since it is made almost soley from natural gas.

This is a link to some general comaprisons although I'm not sure that it is current as the price's I've been quoted are even higher.

2007/2007 input costs for corn

Why are nitrogen prices so high?

Quite often one can get free seed corn from Pheasants Forever so the main costs are for nitrogen and herbicide.

At 45 cents per pound for urea 150# of actual nitrogen would run a about $70 per acre.

If residual herbicide is used and assuming spraying is hired done it normally has cost me around $30 to 35 per acre.

Without adding input costs for P & K...corn alone is a bare minimum of a $100 an acre,

Add the additional fertilizer, perhaps seed and fuel...one can easily spend $150 an acre without much effort.

This link is for 2006 costs but gives a good comparison of per acre costs of both corn and soybeans. You can subtract those that would not apply to a "hobby" crop.

Costs of crop production in Iowa

Fertilizer Recommendations For Soybeans

One can easily see that corn on corn is more then double the cost of soybeans.

You can lower your costs if you can apply anhydrous ammonia rather then urea and apply less nitrogen if you plant corn following alfalfa, clover or a good crop of peas.

These are things to consider as far as plot rotations for the future.

It's realtively easy to control weeds in RR soybeans as they will canopy eventually.

RR corn still needs some type of residual weed control in most cases and if planted alone, atrazine is the most commonly used.

Getting someone to purchase it or apply it is another story, which is why I'm going with the RUP/Dual Magnum 2 combo.

I can purchase these and apply them myself...I am still stuck however buying expensive nitrogen.

A bag of seed corn is 80,000 kernels planted at a rate of 26,000 to 32,000 seeds per acre...or approx. 2.5 acres per bag.

Soybean seed is normally in 50# bags but can vary from 2000-4000 seeds per pound.

Planting rates vary widely from 125,000 to 200,000+ seeds per acre.

Check your local dealer for last years seed at considerable discount and join PF...at $130 a bag for RR seed corn...the PF dues are the best bargain you'll ever get!

For those of you in the ag supply industry...help me out here with current fertilizer, seed and herbicide costs in your area.

dbltree2000@yahoo.com
jknox0623@gmail.com

IBA Member
Pheasants Forever Member

Old 04-25-2007, 01:14 AM   #30
dbltree

Default Re: Corn and beans/ RR forage soybeans

If it ever stops raining I hope to get my corn and beans in.

I decided to try a bag of RR forage soybeans from Eagle Seed to compare them to what I'm used too.

They are supposed to stay green (if I understand correctly) up until frost and should get taller and produce more mass forage.

It will be interesting to compare them in side by side plantings with regular RR soybeans.

With the high cost of nitrogen....beans are looking better all the time.

I have great soil fertility so I'm going to put on a 180# of actual nitrogen in the form of urea, disk it in and row plant the beans first, then the corn.

If I wasn't planting corn I could skip the nitrogen altogether.

I'll put on Dual Magnum 2 for residual and then hit whatever comes up later with Roundup.

Hopefully we'll get some of this rain during the summer this time [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

dbltree2000@yahoo.com
jknox0623@gmail.com

IBA Member
Pheasants Forever Member