Iowawhitetail forums

Go Back   Iowawhitetail forums > Whitetail Conference > Iowa Whitetail Conference
Register Blogs FAQ Members List IW Links IW Photo Gallery PMA Big Buck Contest PMA Membership Detail Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hunting Land 4-Sale
Sponsors
Lick Creek Enterprises
Feeder Information

Blind Information

Old 06-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
like2hunt
PMA Member

Default no tag for non-resident land owner

I'm sure this does not disappoint most of you.But the tag will go to someone else who is not a land owner since there is no support for the nrland owner having any preference.If I hunt it the land doesn't get leased and my neighbor had a placed to hunt but since I wont't get to hunt I have a decision to make should I lease it or not?If many of you really believe that owning land is only about deer hunting and can't or won't accept there is much more to it then I feel more disappointment for you than myself for not drawing a tag.This is still America you know land of opportunity.Iowa happened to be where I found mine.You boys seemed to be for the Drury's finding aloop hole by buying plates for their truck etc; I would have thought that would have really upset some people.Guess bottom line will be if I can't hunt my property maybe no one else should either so we both lose rather than have a working relationship .I have never tried to take away the rights of American citizens and don't feel mine should be compromised
like2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
Steve-O
World Member

Default Re: no tag for non-resident land owner

I hear your pain almost everyyear. Guys land I hunt on also is from Illinois, I look out for his property when he cant hunt it and set stands for him when he can.

It is better to make friends with your neighbors then just say heck with everyone Im leasing it out.

Why cant your neighbor still hunt it? Did he do something that wont allow or if you cant hunt it nobody can?

I dont know where you heard about the Drury's deal but just because you have plates on your truck doesnt get you licenses in Iowa. They do get "Lucky" everyyear and the governor gives one of them a tag.

If you dont want anyone hunting your property then that is your choice, I dont know where you bought your property but congrats on a great investment and hopefully you can turn it into a great place to live/hunt or whatever you bought it for.

I am also sure that you knew the Iowa hunting laws before you bought your property, so I dont understand why you are upset now, when you knew more then likely you wouldnt be drawn depending on what zone you are in.

So them taking away your rights isnt compromised because you probably knew the rights/law before the purchase.

By the way welcome to the site!
Old 06-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
Hardcorehunter
UL Shelter/Stove Geek

I'm with ya buddy and I think it is a crock of crap!!!!!!! This DNR is out of line with this big business, high$ tag fee for nonresidents and few tags available. Especially you landowners; you pay taxes and you can't hunt!!! An Attrocity!!!!!!I would like to have my buddy from MN come down and hunt with me but who in the hell can afford the steep cost?? I would like to go to MN and hunt with him but MN says,"Screw you IA, we will rape you on fees too since IA does". We are all American citizens and should be able to enjoy the outdoors without being raped in the wallet. Why does it cost a Nonresident $500 to hunt elk in CO on FEDERAL LAND THAT MY TAXES BOUGHT when a CO resident can hunt the same FEDERAL LAND for $36?
A landowner in IA should be allowed to hunt deer on his property; PERIOD.
The state says they own these deer but if you hit one with your car they sure deny owning it then; go figure.
John 3:16 Lifetime NRA Member/Iowa Bow Hunters Association/Black Hoyt Carbon Element "Crackerized"PSE AXE 6 Dave Smith Decoys
KIFARU PACKS, LONE WOLF TREESTANDS, ZEN RAY 8X43 ED2 OPTICS
Hardcorehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Critter
Life Member

[ QUOTE ]
I'm with ya buddy and I think it is a crock of crap!!!!!!! This DNR is out of line with this big business, high$ tag fee for nonresidents and few tags available. Especially you landowners; you pay taxes and you can't hunt!!! An Attrocity!!!!!!I would like to have my buddy from MN come down and hunt with me but who in the hell can afford the steep cost?? I would like to go to MN and hunt with him but MN says,"Screw you IA, we will rape you on fees too since IA does". We are all American citizens and should be able to enjoy the outdoors without being raped in the wallet. Why does it cost a Nonresident $500 to hunt elk in CO on FEDERAL LAND THAT MY TAXES BOUGHT when a CO resident can hunt the same FEDERAL LAND for $36?
The state says they own these deer but if you hit one with your car they sure deny owning it then; go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should the state impose any limitations on what exactly dictates a "landowner"? Should a non-resident landowner be granted a tag every year if he only owns 1 acre of ground? A landowner is a landowner, correct??? You can't pick and choose your limitations if you're totally against them in the first place, besides I'm sure it's your Constitutional Right anyway somehow.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
wernerjd

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with every word. I am graduating here soon and have a job in Colorado and I want to hunt Iowa, but with prices like that the hell with it. I will just spend my money on elk hunting in Clorado. You look at South Dakota and pheasent hunting, there big push is out of staters. Out of staters come there spend money on gas, food, houseing or whatever and they make loads of mony this way. Iowa would rather push them away. Out of staters still come but somstimes not following the law. Iowa should lower there price to bring more hunters in, but limmit the number of tags. All nrlandowners should get first choice. Thats my two cents worth
wernerjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
Hardcorehunter
UL Shelter/Stove Geek

How many nonresident landowners own 1 acre of land and want to hunt deer in IA? Probably none. If the guys' land is supporting a huntable population of deer than by God he should get to come here and hunt his land. It's his land that the deer are living on, he pays taxes on it. The DNR and Farm Bureau are screaming for us residents to basically shoot as many deer as we want to spend $11 tags on. Hell, most hunters I know are buying 2-6 doe tags a year and this nonresident can't even get a tag? Bullsheet if you ask me. A nonresident is not going to hurt a damn thing coming here and hunting our deer or killing a big buck on his own land, or one of his buddies land, or wherever he chooses to hunt legally.
BTW, Nice meeting you and I love the tent
John 3:16 Lifetime NRA Member/Iowa Bow Hunters Association/Black Hoyt Carbon Element "Crackerized"PSE AXE 6 Dave Smith Decoys
KIFARU PACKS, LONE WOLF TREESTANDS, ZEN RAY 8X43 ED2 OPTICS
Hardcorehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
wernerjd

Even if they would just let the nrland owner that had 20 acre or more hunt, that would be better than nothing. If there are deer on your 20 acres or not you still are going to hunt that 20 acres. So what kind of a problem is it for an instate guy or lady.
wernerjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
Iowaide

I guess this should be a problem for archery hunting but I thought that most out of state shotgunners already had it figured out? You know, get a doe only non resident tag and then party hunt with at least five good friends who's wives hunt, ha.ha..., and then the problem is solved right? Not that I support this but it is the unfortunate tactic that seems to be used. You may coin it the "Governers Wife Tag". I may be wrong about the ease of getting a nonresident doe only tag so if I am I will take my crow medium well. Anyhow this is one way I have seen this side stepped with the gun. I only hope I can have the same problem owning land in another state myself. If it is in Illinois we can swap hunts. Good luck.
Iowaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
Tom

Old 06-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
halielynn1

As far as I am concerned, this is the best system in the union! If we open it up to NR Landowners then the NR non-land owners will bitch until they get their way. It won't be long and it will be like Wisconsin or Minnesota (No where to hunt and very limited quality deer). Iowa would soon be just another State to hunt and the "Trophy" possibilities would be few and far between.

I used to hunt both Minnesota and Wisconsin. Both of those States have been ruined by non-residents. I would hate to see Iowa turn into a State like that!
halielynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote