Iowawhitetail forums

Go Back   Iowawhitetail forums > Whitetail Conference > Iowa Whitetail Conference
Register Blogs FAQ Members List IW Links IW Photo Gallery PMA Big Buck Contest PMA Membership Detail Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hunting Land 4-Sale
Sponsors
Lick Creek Enterprises
Feeder Information

Blind Information

Old 11-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
loneranger

Default Best ways to eradicate Coyotes:

My area is packed with Coyotes too. Hear packs of them howling day and night. They are not helping the spring fawn production I am sure. What is best way to hunt/get rid of them? I know they are very cagy, smart, difficult to fool.
loneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
nannyslayer
PMA Member

Find a group of guys with some really good coyote hounds (will only run coyotes, and won't run a jumped deer), get permission from all surrounding landowners and have some fun.
nannyslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
SHEDZILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyslayer View Post
Find a group of guys with some really good coyote hounds (will only run coyotes, and won't run a jumped deer), get permission from all surrounding landowners and have some fun.
Several groups of guys do this in my area, and it is an effective way to kill "yotes"
But when i see the hounds scatter large groups of wintering deer from sanctuary timber, im not sure its worth the dead yotes?
SHEDZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
shadowpeople

Snares. Last year, we caught 17 coyotes in a 1/2 mile x 1/2 mile area. Never would have thought that there were so many coyotes there but we caught them. I had never snared yotes before and never thought it would be as easy as it was, (maybe we just got lucky?) but it was extremely effective.

Big groups of guys work pretty well too but they only hunt for about 2 hours. Snares hunt 24/7. Once you have found a few places where they are running consistently it wont be long until you're pickin up the bodies. I think we got our snares out of a snare shop in State Center or something? Fuch's Traps and Supplies or something like that? I am looking forward to running some snares again this winter!

Good luck on your coyote eradication!
shadowpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
AIRASSAULT
PMA Member

we have a couple big groups around my area that drive and spot open country sections and kill up to 50 yotes per year

"ShadowPeople"-- where abouts do you set your snares up? Holes in fences?
Old 11-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
loneranger

How do ya snare em??? I suppose that can also be found on the Internet.
loneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
JakeWym
Arrow Chucker

I was thinking the hound idea...those guys can really knock the crap out of em. As far as trapping goes, I would try to find someone who is already very good at it. I do not trap, but the trappers that I have talked to say that a coyote can be tough to catch. You kind of have to live and learn, and it mike take a couple years to gain the experience that you need. Some of the good trappers that I know might get 50-60 of them a year. Just a thought.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
G6

Only problem with snares are they are indiscriminate about what goes through them so watch where you set them. I have seen more than one deer with them around their necks ( bucks also). If a deer can fit through the hole in the fence don't set one there. Just a heads up.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
Altiman94

You would have guys knocking your door down for a chance to hunt a coyote rich area. Predator hunting is pretty darn popular these days. I am going to get into it myself this winter, but will be doing calling.
Altiman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Skully
PMA Member

In Iowa any snare or body gripping trap must be set five foot from any fence and 200 yds from occupied buildings. They must also carry a deer stop that keeps the snare from closing tighter than 2 1/2 inches should a deer get a foot caught in it. Snares are very effective and work all season long, day and night. With yotes you want your snare to have a 10-12" loop and be around 10-12 inches off the ground. Check out this site: www.snareshop.com. It is here in Iowa and they are great people to deal with. Also check youtube.com under coyote snaring and you can get some great tips! Don't forget you need a fur harvesters license to set snares in Iowa.

Last edited by Skully; 11-24-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Skully is offline   Reply With Quote