Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alsheimer rut predictions

Wish you were right about a colder fall. I truly do. I am sick of sweating. With a string of 6 days near 100'. Wishful dreaming though.

Regarding the moon: Kinda interesting. For over 40 years the little state of Delaware check every deer taken at check stations throughout the state. ( Delaware is approx 27 times smaller sq./miles vs. Iowa) Weight,sex and age data collected on tens of thousands of deer. An analysis of the data in relation to moon phase revealed more bucks were taken during the full moon than any other moon phase....sometimes what we think is true is turned upside down when the data numbers are crunched....I use to hate to hunt after a full moon. I don't pay too much attention to it at all anymore. I just hunt as much as I can,and, if below average temps are predicted, I will try to stay in the tree all day. Not easy but if you prepare mentally and eat the right food on stand( for me deer jerky, apple, Gatoraid/water) it's not too bad....have seen some darn good bucks from 9:30 am - 3:30pm....Biggest mental problem for me on a COLD MORNING is fighting the constant little guy in my brain telling me a # 7 Hy-Vee breakfast sure would be good about now....he somtime wins !...(right John : ) )

Last edited:
When I'm done with college I will research this. I'm majoring in Biology and Animal Ecology so I should be able to figure it out. ;)

Who new you could hunt totally off the moon phases... Wow! I must just be getting lucky every year between Oct 28th to Nov. 13th, I'm changing my vacation so I can kill a big one finally.

Untmost respect for Charlie A. but Winke is right. Numerous studies by the best deer biologist in the country show that, for the most part ,they breed pretty much the same time each year. You may not see it primarily due to unseasonably warm weather, but, nonetheless , they are doing their thing....Approx. 40 years of back dating fetuses show that neither moon phase or Charlie's theories hold water....

Bingo, fetus's checked on road kill does (in MO) say the same thing...on average, they are bred at the same time every year.

What we see is not always what is going on. Some people think peak breeding is when they are seeing all the big bucks moving. Why would they move when they are breeding does?? That is usually just the opposite as they are locked down with does when peak breeding is taking place.

Rut in November in Iowa is more intense with more buck sightings...Too much pressure in MN---early gun season. Moon or not, pressure will change the rut

I don't know why all this matters? Doesn't everyone spend every minute they can in the stand from late oct till the end of November? If you are worried about taking vacation anytime in that time frame would be great. Nobody can predict this.

Rut in November in Iowa is more intense with more buck sightings...Too much pressure in MN---early gun season. Moon or not, pressure will change the rut

Absolutely true! This is why we have had most our luck the last week of October. If not then, it's usually late season around the plots after the snow falls.

rut

couple questions.
I don't buy into all this moon phase stuff so much. my question Is this.
If Wisconsins rut starts earlier than southern Illinois rut which starts earlier than the Mississippi rut . How does the shortening of daylight activate these does when we are all in the same time zone ? these states should all be hot at the same exact time.
temperatures are different but shortening of daylight hours are the same.
So climate is the big component of when breeding begins
im confused.......

couple questions.
I don't buy into all this moon phase stuff so much. my question Is this.
If Wisconsins rut starts earlier than southern Illinois rut which starts earlier than the Mississippi rut . How does the shortening of daylight activate these does when we are all in the same time zone ? these states should all be hot at the same exact time.
I'll take a stab at this.

Since the earth tilts on it's axis, even though these places are in the same time zone, day length differs.

The rut is the same time every year. Every year we get these 'it's coming early this year!' and it never does.

Buck-man,

I find the science fascinating but as you can tell from the board most members just hunt the same time every year. I can't answer longitude question but it is addressed in the book.

After 35 years of bowhunting I need more than just to go hunt in November, tag a deer and forget about it until next year. I actually started this website, to later sell, to have this kind of interaction and hear about what others saw.

In SW Iowa at least where I live, to truly find mature trophies takes time and knowledge. I am a huge believer the moon phases. I also believe in the process of shortening day light is the trigger. For me, it's been like a puzzle and the pieces are fitting into the puzzle quickly now.

Everyone's area is different and so is there hunting technique I always hope I don't offend anyone and we are all so fortunate that Chris and everyone involved with Iowa Whitetail keeps and has this message board. I am so proud to have been involved with its beginning. No place anywhere else like it but that can be said for Iowa too. Ditto on whomever started this topic as well.

Alzheimer's prediction is about peak of each phase and how it coincides with the moon. If anyone thinks the moon or photoperiod has no effect on what we consider the whitetail breading cycle then they are clueless!! The rut is a marathon and not a sprint so it does fall over the same app 30 days each year. The predictions are for those that have a few days off and when to take those days off.

Regardless of moon phase, bucks move most at dawn and dusk. Similarly, in four separate GPS research projects from around the country each found that moon phase had little or no influence on deer movement. Three of these studies dealt directly with bucks and looked at the impact on daily, diurnal, and nocturnal activity; still, deer were crepuscular in every case regardless of moon phase. One project, contrary to popular belief, even found that deer were more active and moved earlier during the day following a full moon. Bottom line: No peer-reviewed scientific data to-date has revealed a correlation between moon phase and breeding dates and/or deer movements. However, numerous studies have shown a correlation between photoperiod (the length of daylight) and breeding dates. You do the math."

http://www.qdma.com/articles/10-thi...d3ff8587cac0fa518&utm_source=Campaign Monitor

JMO...the does will go into heat no matter what. The bucks will breed them in the cover of darkness. The daytime movement we enjoy here in Iowa will be greatly reduced there, but the breeding will take place. I suppose the pressure could be so great that some does would not get bred and have to wait a cycle.

JMO...the does will go into heat no matter what. The bucks will breed them in the cover of darkness. The daytime movement we enjoy here in Iowa will be greatly reduced there, but the breeding will take place. I suppose the pressure could be so great that some does would not get bred and have to wait a cycle.

I agree with you. Bad thing about this, bucks hold up in tight cover and then bust out after dark, cross roads, get hit by vehicles.
In some cases I believe a few does, very few, do not hook up with bucks, due to rut hunting gun pressure...

Top Bottom