Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best UTV 4x4's- diesel vs gas, used or new?

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Ok fellas- need some help/advice.... In about ONE MONTH I'm going to get another UTV or XUV. Right now I have a Diesel Gator BUT my brother is going to buy that one from me.
OK- what's the advantages/disadvantages of diesel & fuel? Diesel engines last a lot longer? I know gas is faster BUT much harder on gas mileage from my experience. I also see the diesels being far more expensive to buy BUT what y'all think of going with one vs other?

Who has the MOST SOLID BRANDS??? OK- so I see these cheap china-brands for $3500-4000 but I would destroy them in a few months. I work the heck outta mine. Must have 4 wheel drive and be tough as nails. I've been looking at these:
John Deere Gator
Kubota
Cub Cadet
Bobcat

I've seen a few other brands that are cheaper or less quality. Which models are the toughest? I also want to consider having plenty of room- I use mine in spring to put up stands, haul stuff around all summer and run around farm doing chores, etc. They see a good deal of mud and really rough areas too. I need a working machine!

OK- last, buy new or save a couple thousand bucks and get used? New, I get warranty and know what's been done to it BUT i may be able to find a good used one with really low hours. If someone sees an exceptional deal on used one, low hours (say under 200), really good deal, let me know. I could do it now BUT planning on buying in a month- if I found a stellar deal, I'd do it now.

What's your thoughts/advice on what i should buy? Thanks a ton!

Last edited:
I would look at a Kawasaki 2011 Mule 4010 Trans 4X4 Diesel. I have heard good reviews (tough as nails). You can haul 4 people during hunting season or when hauling the family around the farm then transform it to a 2 person to get additional cargo area when it's time to work. They have been around for years and I think they have worked out most of the problems. If I was getting one to work on the farm that is what I would get. Just so you know Bobcat is made by Polaris so your just paying extra for the name.

If you check back on this post- do you know the ball-park costs on one of those? I will be looking into those- thank you!

If others have ideas, if you could throw out some prices, that's one thing I forgot. I'm surely not dropping 12k-14k on a UTV, I have found some low hour used ones for 7500 and less. OK, I couldn't find my search list from earlier BUT found some for 7000-7500 in diesel with low hours. Here's a gator for $8500 that has diesel and 121 hours, not quite as good as the ones I found earlier BUT an option: http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6122281&

And here's a kubota for $8500 with 68 hours on it. I'm sure both places would take less and I have seen better deals than both these. This one is a bit older too - http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6026347&

Thanks for above and good catch on the bobcat outsourcing!!!

Last edited:
Landowners where I hunt have both a JD Gator and a newer Polaris Ranger. Very similar in size and function. They have plenty of power, 4wd, and we have hauled treestands and dead deer with them often. The Ranger has room for 3 people, but has a lot of room for "stuff". Just used it over the weekend and at one point had 3 blinds, a half dozen decoys, buckets, chairs and 3 people in it. Pretty sweet rig...I think around 10 grand new. Good luck...

NWBuck

Polaris Ranger would be my pick of all the ones listed above. They are a tough machine.

Beware of the Kubota's hydro transmission. My brother has an 1100 and it's an awesome machine....BUT with the hydro you top out at 25 mph and can barely climb a hill in high.....put it down in low and you could pull a house with it. Just depends on what you're doing with it. His is a workhorse around the farm. The Kubota diesel is bullet proof (nearly 2000 hrs w/o any issues) and the enclosed cab with heat is nice for winter but it's not ideal for someone wanting to use it on the road to get from point a to point b.

The benefit to the diesel engine is that if you take care of it, It should last forever. I would go with the Bobcat or polaris. So good things that I know about the Bobcat branded one is this. It comes standard with 2 inch reciever in the rear. 3 different drive modes. 1 wheel drive for on flat grass type driving/ two wheel drive with a locking rear diff/and 4 wheel drive mode. Drive modes can be shifted on the fly since it is a rocker switch. One other nice feature is that the rear shocks are two position adjustable 1 for smoother ride and 2 for stiffer ride but better for carring a load. The other nice feature about the Bobcat brand is the heavy duty transmission that is speced for the diesel engine. The engine is a 3 cylinder yanmar so you will have lots of power for pulling a small disk or pulling small pieces of brush or timber. Ground speed is 25 mph. it has a sealed CVT drive system and 4 wheel disc brakes. Easy to operate with low, high and reverse. It is made by Polaris at the Iowa factory. The Bobcat branded one however comes with a factory 1 yr warranty and Polaris is 6 months. If you get a deluxe model it comes with factory brush gaurd in the front, electric dump. They also have camo models avaiable. Plus they have a ton of accessories. radio/cabs/winches etc. I have a older Bobcat Club Car buildt diesel and it has never let me down. I have had no problems with it and I'm going on my third year. Started every day in the winter that I needed it even when it was below zero. Good luck on your decisioin.

Don't know anything definite about most but we have a Ranger and use the living crap out of it. A UTV is a must but you already know that. I haven't been around gators since they were new and not very fun to bounce around on but I was looking at a job today and the owner had a new one and it looked very well built. A land owner who's land I hunt once in awhile has a mule that he loves but it seems he always has it up on a jack or stripped down for one thing or another. I have used it on his place and I would rather have our Ranger. I know the Kubotas and Bobcats have more versatile accessory hook ups if thats something you are interested in I think they are more intended for construction and property management situations. The diesels if repairs are needed will probably be more expensive as well but if torque is a must they cant be beat. I did receive an advertisement yesterday that Bad Boy Buggies has entered the diesel UTV market.

So, as I look, can get a new one down in the 10k mark. that's pretty good! Super solid? No problems? you beat the shi# outta yours & no trouble? had it a wile?

TOP SPEED?
PLENTY ROOM for people & gear?

Let me know if you can, I'm gonna do some test drives here! fun stuff! Thank you!

We have had ours for 3 or 4 years now and have put it through some pretty tough stuff, you have to try pretty hard to get it stuck, and weve even pulled a 3/4 ton truck out of a mudhole with it. You can easily get 4 people around with a deer in the back. We've had rangers, and mules and this is by far a better machine than any of them. Top speed is around 47, but with an aftermarket exhaust you can do better.

Top Bottom