Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cultipackers

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
I'm looking for a cultipacker 4' or 5' to pull behind a 600cc 4-wheeler. I've having a hard time finding any for sale in Iowa, I have seen some for sale online brand new but seem a little spendy. Anyone try making their own homemade cultipacker? For now just looking for something small for hunting plots. Any weight recomendations, over 300lbs, 400lbs? All new to me so any help is much appreciated!

Re: cultipacker

In Jan/Feb I would expect the farm equipment auctions to start. You'll probably have to outbid the scrap guy for one, then modify it for your use (or since he will have a cutting torch, split it with him, literally).

Interest in food plots has made cultipackers hard to come by and they can be pricey sometimes even at auctions.

Watch around old farmsteads also because often there is an old one laying in the weeds somewhere and if you can locate the landowner you can buy it for a song before it ends up at an auction.

If all else fails this "poly packer" is a pretty handy packer that you can fill with water or sand and it's just right to pull behind an ATV or small tractor.

Poly-Packer

Cultipacker021.JPG

Once empty you can throw it in the back of the truck for transport so a couple food plotters could even share one and split the cost. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

That picture gives me an idea. Would a 4 foot long piece of 12" diameter plastic field tile poured full of cement work? It wouldn't have the "V" shaped packing surfaces I guess but would it really matter? Slide a pipe through the center before the cement sets up and hook a section of chain to it to drag it around. Throw some duct tape on it somewhere and whaa-la! Red-Green-down-home-muliti-purpose- culti-packer/possum squasher! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

That's it Paul, that is perfect!

I was thinking something along the same lines as Skully with the 12" pipe, hollow tube in center, cement, and then having the local welder make a triangle bracket (like the one Paul posted) for pulling...I'd thought it may help with turning vs. a chain method.

Thanks guys!

Just pack it with the atv tires if they are small plots. It works good and you don't have to add something else to the list of crap to take with you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would a 4 foot long piece of 12" diameter plastic field tile poured full of cement work? </div></div>
I'm not sure 12" would be large enough to keep it turning in loose dirt or mounds without aggressive teeth. It may become more of a drag than a packer if you know what I mean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Red-Green-down-home-muliti-purpose- culti-packer/possum squasher! </div></div>

Shhhh! Bonker might read this.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I suppose one could make something like that for sure and Lickcreek down at Birmingham has em big enough to stand up in so you could make any size.

Lawn Rollers work too but they are flat and tend to compact the soil to much.

I use an ATV sometimes but it's a lot of riding back n forth if you have much to do.

The -V- shape of the cultipacker makes the perfect packed seedbed (not that it has to be perfect /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif ) but if I had my druthers I'd rather have a cultipacker....... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

The thing I thought might be handy about this is you can fluctuate the weight of the packer depending on the scenario, seed, etc.

Has anyone used this packer, they pretty durable?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoessHillsArcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thing I thought might be handy about this is you can fluctuate the weight of the packer depending on the scenario, seed, etc.

Has anyone used this packer, they pretty durable? </div></div>

I saw where some folks had used it on the QDMA forums but I have not personally seen it in use. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

This might be a stupid question but how do you get it filled out in a timber or wherever. I'd assume most people don't have running water out in the sticks. Fill it with water before then you have to try to unload it. Which I would think it would weigh quit a bit. I guess you could back up to a hill and unload it if you have that option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This might be a stupid question but how do you get it filled out in a timber or wherever. I'd assume most people don't have running water out in the sticks. Fill it with water before then you have to try to unload it. Which I would think it would weigh quit a bit. I guess you could back up to a hill and unload it if you have that option. </div></div>

You'd have to look at it just like a steel one...haul it loaded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Operating Weight Filled with Water,360Pounds

Operating Weight Filled with Sand, 600 Pounds </div></div>

Your talking roughly 50 gallons of water so it is possible but I would just load it on an ATV trailer along with the ATV and head for the food plots with it full of water.

If folks wanted to share it then you could drain the water and take it somewhere.

I have an old steel one and that baby is heavy but with ramps you just pull it right in behind the tractor. I had a friend cut mine down so it would fit my trailer because it was an 8 footer. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

LHA,
I have one you can borrow. I am not sure where you are at, but I am in SW IA. Let me know when/if you need it.

Thanks for the offer, sent ya a PM! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sorry if this is old news but thought I'd share some findings after checking into Paul's lead to the QDMA forums. I can't take any credit for any of this but thought the idea and plans were awesome. Bunch of guys have built their own cultipackers over there...I don't know about you guys but building something like this and putting it to use in food plotting would be great!

Here is the link...
http://www.qdmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=16349

some pics of 2 of the custom packers!
cultipacker2.jpg

cultipacker2a.jpg

cultipacker3.jpg

cultipacker3a.jpg

cultipacker3b.jpg

cultipacker3c.jpg

Originally Posted By: LoessHillsArcher
Thanks for the offer, sent ya a PM!

Sorry if this is old news but thought I'd share some findings after checking into Paul's lead to the QDMA forums. I can't take any credit for any of this but thought the idea and plans were awesome. Bunch of guys have built their own cultipackers over there...I don't know about you guys but building something like this and putting it to use in food plotting would be great!

Here is the link...
Building A Homemade Cultipacker

Looks like the packer wheels have went up a little: CULTIPACKER WHEEL

$14 bucks a piece x 28 (I count at least that many in one pic)is roughly $400 so still kinda spendy. Add bearings, steel and wheels....whew! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Neat little deals though!

Here's a link to a homemade wooden frame cultipacker

$100 Cultipacker

Be nice to run across some like these at an acution sale...

Cultipacker1.jpg

9ftpacker.jpg

DoublePacker.jpg

WheeltransportPacker.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Cultipacker

I found this handy little cultipacker available thru King Kutter

KP-48.jpg

Pretty price at $800+ but handy because it has tires...just flip the tow bar and go to work!

Towable by ATV or tractor and at 4ft would be easy to load on most trailers.

ORSCHELN FARM & HOME and T S C both can order it (among others )

Food plotters have really driven up demand for used packers although one can still find them if you look long and hard enough... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

also check out old junk yards and old farm equipment places. I was able to get one like this for 175 a few years ago.

Attachments

• 9ftpacker.jpg
    9ftpacker.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 821
Mike from WI sent me these pics of a cultipacker he dug out of the weeds and retrofitted...looks great Mike! :way:

cultipacker2009002.jpg

cultipacker2009003.jpg

cultipacker2009004.jpg

Just thought I would share a pic of the cultipacker I picked up for nothing. :) I've been looking for a year or so around all the junk piles around all the farms I hunt. Nothing for cultipackers :( I was really thinking I was going to have to bite the bullet this winter and build one like listed above. I stopped at my uncles ranch a week or so ago, and low and behold out in the weeds here two these two 48in wing pieces laid. :D Unfortuantly when I tried to get both from him, thinking I would paint the frames and add tires and sell 1 as a "ATV Cultipacker for Foodplots", he said I could "USE" it until he needed it.:thrwrck: He hasnt planted a thing for atleast 15years. So I doubt I will have to give this thing up but dang I wish he would just let me have these so I could make some $$ on one of them. But this cost about $20 in some bolts and time. I had to make new Oak bushings for it, but for the small amount of use it will get from me it should last.

picture.php

PS I figure this thing weighs somewhere around 200+ lbs.

Top Bottom