Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Grain Wagon hunting blind.

Let me know if you do anything. I have a wagon just like that one sitting in the bone pile. Missed you at the classic this year, we need to keep in better touch!

Grain wagon

Grain wagons make a great blind, I am still looking for a cheap one. I have seen a few on Craigslist...what would be the price range for one similar to Ironwood's? Anyone purchased one lately?

My uncle built one but it was an old wood sided one. I can post pics if you want.

I think would have to drill a lot of holes in the top of the metal sides and bolt your 2x4 down to it to start a good frame work. The angles on the open end will make it harder to close in but it could be done.

If your going to run a heater in it I would go with double pain windows or you will have a ton of fogging issues.

My uncle built one but it was an old wood sided one. I can post pics if you want.

I think would have to drill a lot of holes in the top of the metal sides and bolt your 2x4 down to it to start a good frame work. The angles on the open end will make it harder to close in but it could be done.

If your going to run a heater in it I would go with double pain windows or you will have a ton of fogging issues.

Interesting comment on the windows. Have you tried this before? I would be interested to hear if this has worked for anyone.
My assumption has been that a non vented heater, like an ice shack heater, will create enough of its own moisture to fog any window.

He has double pain windows in the back of the blind (that dont open:mad:) that dont fog and single pain in the front that fog up as soon as you turn the heater on.

If it was me I would frame up the sides and floor truss it then build your blind on top of that and spend some money on your windows get double pains for sure single pains fog when you put heat in it

A byproduct of using propane is H2O, about a gallon for every 10,000 Btu's and that moisture in the air will condense anywhere it comes in contact with that is at the dew point or lower until it freezes. Insulated windows would help quite a bit. This may have to be one of my summer his projects as well this year. :way:

I have a mr heater in mine I put three menards cheap sliders in it and one good double pane it actually was a sample that a salesman would use had a handle on it. A friend pulled it of a dumpster. My blind is house wrapped polyed and insulated from floor to ceiling with no outside ventilation it can be 0 degrees out and be 70 in there in about 30 minutes but all the windows from menards fog the double pane hasn't fooged once. I am thinking about replacing the cheap ones this summer I wouldn't go cheap on the windows they are the most important part it is a pain in the butt wiping them off constantly

pete said:
Let me know if you do anything. I have a wagon just like that one sitting in the bone pile. Missed you at the classic this year, we need to keep in better touch!

Lets brain storm those wagon blind

I have a 6' by 10' long running gear sripped down to the frame I plan to build as soon as the weather breaks. I have 6 double hung windows, enrty door, 2x8's and 2x4s I just need the sheathing, roof and floor. I hope to frame it just like a house with a lean to roof with no overhangs in case it would blow over. One thing nice about double hungs you can shoot your bow standing out of the top and use the bottom when hunting with a gun.

Last edited:
Neighbor uses them as is (no top, window, etc), just sits on a bucket in them parked out in the field. Then again, they are shotgun hunting.

I guess you wimmin need heat and protection from the elements.:thrwrck::D

Top Bottom