Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Herbicides

So my friend and I had a discussion that weeds didn't have to be cut before spraying. I said that from what I've read they should be but really couldn't explain why as his argument was the root system will get it either way. Can anybody comment on why they should be cut before spraying with Select as an example versus just spraying in general?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anybody comment on why they should be cut before spraying with Select as an example versus just spraying in general?
</div></div>

I tested some Selct on mature brome and it still killed it deader n a doornail /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

However...we want the grass to absorb the herbicide and grass that has been cut will quickly regrow and easily absorb the herbicide (the crop oil helps it stick to the leaf and absorb easier)

Mature grass reaches a point where it is no longer actively growing and it begins to go to seed and almost dormant (for lack of a better word) absorption will be slower and a quick clean kill more difficult.

That's an ole farmers view in laymans terms but nannyslayer perhaps can explain it better then I /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Poast Plus question

I have a 22 acre field of young Switchgrass (1 to 2 years old) that has 5 or 6 types of clovers and alfalfas seeded with it as well - also just 1 year old. This "forbe componant" in theory will feed deer and also be a "bug factory" for pheasants. The problem I have is a fine and wirey "short grass matt" of some type of cool season perenial grass...almost like blue grass or such as well as some brome grass. If I apply poast plus (or an alternative herbicide that you suggest) now - prior to the switchgrass starting to grow, will any residual chemical harm the switch? Note that the cool season grasses as noted above as well as the clovers and alfalfas have started to green up. Or does Poast Plus has zero residual... as it is a foliage contact herbicide?

I realize that I could spray with glyph any time in the next 2 or 3 weeks, and this would kill the target cool season grasses, and not have an effect on the switchgrass...but I also feel that it may damage or kill the young forbes, which I want to preserve.

I am located in Southern Wisconsin. Thanks for your input.
Mike

Last edited:
it is a foliage contact herbicide

I don't think you'll have any residual effect as Poast requires the use of crop oil to get the product to stick to the leaf, so it shouldn't be a problem. :)

Thanks for the feedback, while I am new at posting here...I have been an active reader of the habitat threads for about 4 years. You guys are really a wealth of information.

Is there a better " selective grass killer" than Poast plus? - perhaps Select, or Slay, or the generic equivelants?

Mike

Select (clethodim) is far more effective then Poast IMO and Arrow is just one generic version. Use 6-8 ounces per acre with crop oil and it wil kill the fire out of grasses...so make sure your switchgrass isn't greening up!!!;)

Panoramic

Im having a hard time finding some panoramic in my area,does any one know where some can be ordered from. Thanks

Just wondering if this is enough Glyphosate. or do I need more in the mix?

It is touchdown total.

I can get it in bulk and would be $57.00 a gallon.

Herbicide: Touchdown total
Nonselective Foliar Systemic Herbicide for Weed Control
Active Ingredient:
*Glyphosate: N-(phosphonomethyl) glycine . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36.5%
Other Ingredients: 63.5%
Total: 100.0%

Or I can get Honcho which comes in 2.5 gallon jugs and is $42.00 a gallon.
Honcho has 41% Gly.

How long could I keep a jug of this??

Last edited:
Just wondering if this is enough Glyphosate. or do I need more in the mix?

It is touchdown total.

I can get it in bulk and would be $57.00 a gallon.

Herbicide: Touchdown total
Nonselective Foliar Systemic Herbicide for Weed Control
Active Ingredient:
*Glyphosate: N-(phosphonomethyl) glycine . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36.5%
Other Ingredients: 63.5%
Total: 100.0%

Or I can get Honcho which comes in 2.5 gallon jugs and is $42.00 a gallon.
Honcho has 41% Gly.

How long could I keep a jug of this??

You would need to use roughly 5% more of the 36% which is no big deal of course but the Honcho is certainly a better deal. Might check around with some one to split a 2 1/2 gallon jug with.

TSC had 2 1/2 gallon jugs of 41% for $99 the other day or many farmers buy it for much less in 33 gallon barrels and you might get one to sell you a gallon...;)

Just got a Theisen's ad in the mail and they have Cropsmart 41% 2.5 Gal for 32.99. Thats cheaper than it was 3 years ago before they jacked the prices up. At least something is getting cheaper.

Just got a Theisen's ad in the mail and they have Cropsmart 41% 2.5 Gal for 32.99. Thats cheaper than it was 3 years ago before they jacked the prices up. At least something is getting cheaper.

We went together with friends and bought Gly in 30 gallon containers for $10 a gallon...:way:

Stopped by a local Farm and Home store and stocked up on AMS, crop oil, spray dye and Tordon RTU... :)

adjuvants.jpg

Surfactants and Adjuvants are important to help many herbicides act more effectively and in some cases they may be all but worthless without the help of a surfacant.

Usually they aren't expensive and a little goes a long ways so it pays to understand what they are, how they work and where to get them and when to use them.

I use crop oil frequently because it increases the effectivness of many post-emergent herbicides and the dye is very helpful when spraying with a backpack sprayer...so check the links in the first post to learn how to use Surfactants and Adjuvants to make your herbicides more effective... ;)

One thing about herbicides...you also have to apply them! :D

I use my Solo backpack sprayer extensively to spray everything from food plots to tree plantings and it has lasted nearly 15 years. I also use a Stihl sprayer...very well built but difficult to pump up.

Sprayers.jpg

If you have thoughts on sprayers of any kind or size...please share so others know what might work best for them...:)

Will spraying Glyphosate on inoculated seed hurt?

Will spraying Glyphosate on inoculated seed hurt seed germination?

Will spraying Glyphosate on inoculated seed hurt seed germination?

Gly has to be sprayed on the leaves of growing plants to be effective so it should have no effect on seeds.

Herbicides like 2-4D DO have residual effects that can keep seeds from germinating so that's a good question...:way:

Top Bottom