Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Herbicides

When is a good time in spring to start applying oust or any of the other residuals? Wanting to get a head start on the weeds and the last 2 years of oak seedlings.

Very late March to early April when snow and frost are gone...:way:

Buffalo Bur in Clover

I am brand new to the forum and have found the info here very useful. Thanks to all who contribute. My property is located in south-central SD/north-central NE. I have a couple of biologic Clover Plus plots and last year had a huge problem with a yellow stickered weed overtaking them. Mowing seemed to help towards fall, but I am worried that they will return this spring. I have finally identified the problem as Buffalo Bur. The clover plots I have also contain chicory. My question is can anyone recommend a herbicide that will treat the problem and not kill the clover and chicory products.

I am brand new to the forum and have found the info here very useful. Thanks to all who contribute. My property is located in south-central SD/north-central NE. I have a couple of biologic Clover Plus plots and last year had a huge problem with a yellow stickered weed overtaking them. Mowing seemed to help towards fall, but I am worried that they will return this spring. I have finally identified the problem as Buffalo Bur. The clover plots I have also contain chicory. My question is can anyone recommend a herbicide that will treat the problem and not kill the clover and chicory products.

Repeated close mowing is probably your best bet! Dicamba, Triclopyr and 2,4-D will kill it but also the clover and chicory. It's not a weed common in my area so you might ask your local co-op or extension agent for more information.

Raptor is safe on clover and chicory ($550 a gallon!!) but the label doesn't mention Buffalo bur

Repeated close mowing is probably your best bet! Dicamba, Triclopyr and 2,4-D will kill it but also the clover and chicory. It's not a weed common in my area so you might ask your local co-op or extension agent for more information.

Raptor is safe on clover and chicory ($550 a gallon!!) but the label doesn't mention Buffalo bur
I actually have some raptor I got from my father in law and was going to try it this year. Thanks.

I cut down a few locust trees in one of my plots last yr. I spray them with Tordon. Now I noticed it has killed my clover in certain areas. (some 6-8' beyond the stump) It's almost like the Tordon is following the main root out beyond the stump and the Tordon must of leached into the soil to kill my clovers. I guess I didn't think it would do that.

Also I was wondering if there is anything you can spray on your trees after you have pruned them to keep them from resprouting? I have a few maple trees in my yard that had crazy branches coming off the lower side of the tree and I cut them off and now I have a bunch of new sprouts that keep coming back yr. after yr. I am tired of cutting them off. So what can I spray or put on the sprouts that will kill them and not the tree?

I used Crossbow to kill some re-growth in my TSI project. Don't know if it just kills the re-growth on contact or kills the stump and all.

I cut down a few locust trees in one of my plots last yr. I spray them with Tordon. Now I noticed it has killed my clover in certain areas. (some 6-8' beyond the stump) It's almost like the Tordon is following the main root out beyond the stump and the Tordon must of leached into the soil to kill my clovers. I guess I didn't think it would do that.

Not sure on your 2nd question. Your 1st, yes, I'm not surprised... Tordon is NASTY stuff, gotta be really careful not to go crazy with it in situations like yours & not over-spray/saturate stuff. Wet soils, etc. Your clover is gonna be toast for a while. :(

Ok I need some help, I live in Pa and my dad is spraying my plots for me in Illinois, we usually just buy the herbicides from the Whitetail Institute, mostly its just easier for him to do it that way, but Im tired of spending way to much money so finally we Bought some Clethodium and Butyrac 200, I just dont know what rates to put them on. we have a 15 gallon atv sprayer and we will be putting these on our clover plots, do both clethodium and butyrac 200 need crop oil?

how much Clethodium do I use? with how much water? and crop oil?

how much Butyrac 200 do I use? with how much water? and crop oil?
thanks for the help!!

The booklet that comes with the clethodim says for hand sprayers half once per gallon. The bean oil container said 1.3 oz per gallon. Also 10oz clethodim per acre with water not to exceed 20 gallon. My plots are small enough I did not bother calculating how much water I needed to cover an acre ,I just went with the half ounce per gallon to good effect.

Thanks Dbltree. Saw you in St Louis. Learned much. Learned even more here!

Mike

The booklet that comes with the clethodim says for hand sprayers half once per gallon. The bean oil container said 1.3 oz per gallon. Also 10oz clethodim per acre with water not to exceed 20 gallon. My plots are small enough I did not bother calculating how much water I needed to cover an acre ,I just went with the half ounce per gallon to good effect.

Thanks Dbltree. Saw you in St Louis. Learned much. Learned even more here!

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike and welcome to IW! :way:

Is there a herbicide that will work in oats, turnips, and clover? if not what herbicides do you recommend for these 3 plots that wont cost a ton of money? Thanks

Is there a herbicide that will work in oats, turnips, and clover? if not what herbicides do you recommend for these 3 plots that wont cost a ton of money? Thanks

None come to mind? Clethodim will kill grasses in brassicas and clovers but it would kill the oats...

Last edited:
In IL - check out rural king - the have store and website with cheap generic round-up. U should find for $10-12 a gallon. 30-50 gallon drums Or call ur local co-ops and compare pricing. Should b around same price.

For those looking for Herbicides like Panoramic- check out: http://www.epestsolutions.com/Panoramic-2SL-compare-to-plateau.html
That link goes right to 1 gallon of Panoramic for $189 + FREE SHIPPING!!!, which is $10 more than GenericHerbicides.com BUT- Genericherbicides.com charges both s/h and they charge a surcharge for each order, putting it at something like $225 for a gallon VS $189 to your door from epestsolutions.com - I just found this and wanted to pass on because it's a whole lot cheaper. I for sure would price out some other herbicides, etc on there- especially with free shipping, that's huge!

What's the mix ratio for Gly and Diesel for killing woody shrubs? Ive looked every where and cant find a mix ratio. I have a 2.5 and 20 gallon sprayer

Top Bottom