Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lizards in Iowa?

TimberPig

I found this little guy today, about 3 or 4 inches long. I've lived in IA my whole life and never seen one before, guess I didnt even know we had lizards. Anybody know anything about them or what the name is?

lizardMedium.jpg

Skinks are all over beleive it or not... easy way to find'em is in ditches that are dyr and dusty... Also ditches by pasture under boards and rocks with hole in them

I have seen a few of those and never knew what they were. Leave it to the fish nerd to know what they are /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I've always had them around the walls in the yard, when I first moved in one of my friends said it was a Skink. I just thought that was a made up name by the locals, so what the hell is a skink?

I found one a few years ago while fishing. Ive also seen a few in Missouri. They are as common as mosquitos in Florida. Id like to catch another one to keep as a pet.

Actually the DNR started stocking lizards about the same tim as they stocked bobcats and cougar.

Is it basically like a little salamander? I haven't even heard of a skink. Oh wait, I've heard that before. "2 in the pink and 1 in the skink" before....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bucknduck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Oh wait, I've heard that before. "2 in the pink and 1 in the skink" before.... </div></div>

BRAVO! Holy S that took me by surprise! Nicely played.

I seen one for the first time just 4 or 5 years ago. I grabbed the little SOB as he scooted down the log. He turned back and bit my wrist. Not that it hurt, but did suprise me. I did admire his attitude.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bucknduck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it basically like a little salamander? I haven't even heard of a skink. Oh wait, I've heard that before. "2 in the pink and 1 in the skink" before.... </div></div>

lol that's hilarious!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not just a fish nerd... that there is a 5 linked Skink.

info 1

</div></div>

Well you learn something new everyday. Good info in that link, I knew somebody here would know, thanks.

HerpNet.net, sounds like a website for a medical condition LOL. Does that make you a herp nerd too? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I use to keep them in an aqaurium. I found mine out by the two bridges on blairsferry road by palo. I got rid of them and switched to Green Anole instead. They are more fun.

Top Bottom