Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzleloader Question: TC or Knight

Rudd

Life Member
I am wanting to try Muzzleloading this year and am interested in any input on which model you feel is better and why. I like the changability with the TC Encore/Omega and the Knight Disk Exteme. My biggest problem... I am a southpaw and do not want to buy a RH gun (knight) I like there thumbhole stock but when talking with Knight they are wanting almost $800 for one directly from them. I have a call into Scheel's and anxiously await a price from them. I guess Knight wants to support dealers and charges more than a dealer to discourage from people buying them direct. The Encore would be a universal gun that does not descriminate against RH/LH. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry to hear about your lefthanded problem
tongue.gif
. I own a Knight and you'd have to shoot me to get it from me. It's the most reliable and accurate muzzleloader that I know of and have ever shot. However, I have looked at the Encores though and do like them for what that's worth. I don't know if 2 or 3 hundred dollars more for the lefthanded Knight would be worth it. I'd seriously concider the Encore.
kaboom_spawn.gif

I hace the TC Encore and really enjoy it. I got a 20 gauge barrel for my wife to turkey hunt with, Plan on getting a 22-250 barrel for varmints. etc. It is a very versatile gun for all around hunting and can be used for a trap gun with the 12 Gauge barrel. Just whatever you a comfy with, just figured I would give my 2 cents worth

Thanks Shredd/Moose for your replies. Still no word from Scheels. I didn't realize they had a 12 gauge barrell for the Encore as well. Does the Encore have a safety other than the hammer itself? Does it (M/L barrell) load lefty friendly? Moose, I shot RHanded for 16 years and decided to go Lefty after missing a gobbler at 25 yards several years back. It has made a big difference in my archery scores and pheasants. The weapon world is not so friendly when it comes to lefties. Thanks again for your replies.
Anyone Else have some Insight??

Go with the Encore. It is amazingly accurate and available in many calibers!!! In my opinion it is the best muzzleloader out their!

I love my knight Extreme with the Thumbhole. I just got dad one for X mas and with the stainless barrel and thumbhole it was around $515.00. It is allot of money but it is probably the last muzzleloader I or he will own.

Deano

I'm a big fan of the Knight rifles, and shoot a disc rifle. I have handled both the Encore and the thumbhole Knight, but have not shot either one. I don't like the feel of the Encore, it feels very heavy and awkward to me, but would probably be good from a fixed rest. The thumbhole stock also felt very slow to get into action, but felt very good once it was on the shoulder. Most people like what they are use to, and I like the regular stocked Knignt disc. Buy what feels best to you.

I know the knight has a lot of fans and it should, but I like the encore better.
The hammer is the only safety as thats all you need and the encore is much easer to clean.

Knight makes a darn fine rifle. I've had the priviledge of holding one. I went to Scheel's and spoke with a salesman who I go through for all of my business. He's friendly and he's a real straight-shooter. Sometimes I stop in to buy a $2 pack of paper targets and then spend the next hour just shooting the breeze with him. I saw a rare thing. They had a T/C Omega with the camo synthetic stock AND a camo finish on the barrel. Try to find that on T/C's website or anywhere else! He told me that there were three calls that day about that gun and each caller stated that they would be in after work to buy it. I took it off the shelf and shouldered it. It felt like a dream. I plunked down $150 and had that sucker in layaway before you could say "flash-to-bang". T/C and Knight both have outstanding reputations. This is going to be my first muzzleloader but I have no doubts that the simplicity of cleaning and thet accuracy will be quite pleasing. It also feels just right. If you're ever in the Sioux City area I'll take you out to where I shoot and have a go at it. I still have another $150 to pay on it.

(Total price was $499 + Tax)

idsman75@peoplepc.com

Do not buy the new Savage smokeless, total junk ................................

idsman75, that is a heck of a deal! Went to Coralville Scheels today and they had "1" Encore. Walnut/Blued for $569. Was told that somewhere out east had staked their claim on a good portion of the encore stock. Scheels was unsure (1 month?) when they would be getting more in. I have plenty of time to get one before season but figured now would be a good time to buy. Cost for camo/stainless was in the $625-$650 range. I could have swore I seen them on Gunbroker or Gunfinder for mid 5's. Still never heard a price on the Knight (previous post)....I should've remembered the guys name I spoke with on the phone. Anyone have an idea where to locate one? Thanks.

Not trying to advertise for anyone or nothing but if you goto the muzzleloader section in the Realtree forums i just seen a guy has a encore for sale in there.I believe it was used one season and still in perfect shape and he said hed take 400$ for it.

I shoot a knight and havent got any complaints, mines a cheaper model the American Knight but out to 100 yrds it does what i want, and ive never tried it on paper or deer any further than that.And it only cost me 130$ new.Either ones a great gun and I doubt youll be unhappy with either choice.
smile.gif

its a ford\chevy thing with who likes what and why. both brands are great muzzleloaders and both will do the job it just depends on how involved you want to get with accuracy.the adjustable 2 1/2 lb trigger on the knight is its biggest advantage over the t/c's 6 plus pound trigger pull.anybody who shoots a rifle will agree with that.cleaning of both is easy. it takes longer to remove the breech plug from the knight[ unless you have one of the new extended plug removal tools] but it takes longer to clean the t/c trigger and action so as far as cleaning goes its a wash. if you only want a blackpowder rifle knight is the way to go. if you want to have a versital gun then the t/c is the gun for you.after the season is over you can send the t/c back to the factory and have a much needed trigger job done .

ruddbow--I've seen em cheaper than $499 but I thought it was a heck of a deal since nobody has advertised the one I found with the camo finish on the barrel. I'm guessing it's a limited run and I'm getting excited since I should be picking it up in mid-February.

I just bought a TC Omega, a little different look than the normal, but for now the only "Down" I have is there is no adjustment for the trigger, (it is a little heavier than I like), but probably just fine for most hunting. Due to the set back action, the ramrod is actually shorter than the barrel, and you have to screw on a jag to reach the bottom of an empty barrel. I screwed on a short 2" jag, which extended beyond the muzzle, but other than getting dirty when you shoot, I got along just fine. It is a breeze to clean, the primer falls out after firing with out an extractor. All in all I think I am going to like it, and with the longest barrel 28" and not with a longer gun, of any of the in-lines I am aware of, it offers something the others cannot. Now is that enough to get any more MV out of it? Probably not enough that you would know it.

I have hunted with a Knight Disc and I have been around other shooters who have had TC and other types. My two biggest things with all the guns out now is how hard they load. Every guy I see needs a short ball starter and they have to pound the bullet down the barrel.
Second thing is this: they are all designed to shoot little puny pistol bullets. Pistol bullets are still pistol bullets meaning they lose most of the downrange energy when you get over 125 yds. Sure they will shoot that far, but I like knockdown power at beyond 150 yds. I shoot 460 grn lead conical bullets. When I hit em they fall, no tracking needed. To solve the first problem with the loading I would suggest purchasing a White Rifle. Throw away your short ball starter. I load my gun with two fingers no matter whether or not it is the first shot or fifteenth. I can have the barrel spotless with four patches or less. Just my .02 cents. I hunt with guys who have them and probably would not trade them for any Knight or TC.

Binoc

MY ENCORE FITS ME BETTER AND SHOOTS BETTER THAN SOME OF MY CENTERFIRE RIFLES. I CAN ACHIEVE GROUPS OF 3-4" @ 200 YARDS WITH MY MUZZELOADER BARREL. IF YOU MISS YOUR TARGET IT WON'T BE BECAUSE OF THE GUN. CLEANING AND MAINTENCE IS SECOND TO NONE. I CAN COMPLETELY TAKE MY GUN APART AND CLEAN IT AND NOT HAVE TO BE A GUNSMITH TO GET IT BACK TOGETHER AGAIN.

I have owned a Knight Wolverine for quite a long time now, and lemme tell ya, it is one heck of a gun. I have never had a miss fire, hangfire, or anything remotely wrong with it at all....and I have left it loaded through a whole weekend of rain and it still fired off right away to put the deer down. I have it topped with an old Redfield 1.5-4X scope and it fits me better than any gun I have ever held....it is awesome. I wouldn't trade it for anything. But like some have said before....it doesn't matter what brand as long as it shoots and puts the deer down well. My Dad has a TC Hawken that can put the sabots in the same pattern with the same Pyrodex charge and same Hornady bullet as my Knight.........just a side note.
smile.gif
I love Knights.....but whatever works for you........stick with it!
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

Top Bottom