Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

no tag for non-resident land owner

like2hunt

PMA Member
I'm sure this does not disappoint most of you.But the tag will go to someone else who is not a land owner since there is no support for the nrland owner having any preference.If I hunt it the land doesn't get leased and my neighbor had a placed to hunt but since I wont't get to hunt I have a decision to make should I lease it or not?If many of you really believe that owning land is only about deer hunting and can't or won't accept there is much more to it then I feel more disappointment for you than myself for not drawing a tag.This is still America you know land of opportunity.Iowa happened to be where I found mine.You boys seemed to be for the Drury's finding aloop hole by buying plates for their truck etc; I would have thought that would have really upset some people.Guess bottom line will be if I can't hunt my property maybe no one else should either so we both lose rather than have a working relationship .I have never tried to take away the rights of American citizens and don't feel mine should be compromised

I hear your pain almost everyyear. Guys land I hunt on also is from Illinois, I look out for his property when he cant hunt it and set stands for him when he can.

It is better to make friends with your neighbors then just say heck with everyone Im leasing it out.

Why cant your neighbor still hunt it? Did he do something that wont allow or if you cant hunt it nobody can?

I dont know where you heard about the Drury's deal but just because you have plates on your truck doesnt get you licenses in Iowa. They do get "Lucky" everyyear and the governor gives one of them a tag.

If you dont want anyone hunting your property then that is your choice, I dont know where you bought your property but congrats on a great investment and hopefully you can turn it into a great place to live/hunt or whatever you bought it for.

I am also sure that you knew the Iowa hunting laws before you bought your property, so I dont understand why you are upset now, when you knew more then likely you wouldnt be drawn depending on what zone you are in.

So them taking away your rights isnt compromised because you probably knew the rights/law before the purchase.

By the way welcome to the site!

I'm with ya buddy and I think it is a crock of crap!!!!!!! This DNR is out of line with this big business, high$ tag fee for nonresidents and few tags available. Especially you landowners; you pay taxes and you can't hunt!!! An Attrocity!!!!!!I would like to have my buddy from MN come down and hunt with me but who in the hell can afford the steep cost?? I would like to go to MN and hunt with him but MN says,"Screw you IA, we will rape you on fees too since IA does". We are all American citizens and should be able to enjoy the outdoors without being raped in the wallet. Why does it cost a Nonresident $500 to hunt elk in CO on FEDERAL LAND THAT MY TAXES BOUGHT when a CO resident can hunt the same FEDERAL LAND for $36?
A landowner in IA should be allowed to hunt deer on his property; PERIOD.
The state says they own these deer but if you hit one with your car they sure deny owning it then; go figure.
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm with ya buddy and I think it is a crock of crap!!!!!!! This DNR is out of line with this big business, high$ tag fee for nonresidents and few tags available. Especially you landowners; you pay taxes and you can't hunt!!! An Attrocity!!!!!!I would like to have my buddy from MN come down and hunt with me but who in the hell can afford the steep cost?? I would like to go to MN and hunt with him but MN says,"Screw you IA, we will rape you on fees too since IA does". We are all American citizens and should be able to enjoy the outdoors without being raped in the wallet. Why does it cost a Nonresident $500 to hunt elk in CO on FEDERAL LAND THAT MY TAXES BOUGHT when a CO resident can hunt the same FEDERAL LAND for $36?
The state says they own these deer but if you hit one with your car they sure deny owning it then; go figure.
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Should the state impose any limitations on what exactly dictates a "landowner"? Should a non-resident landowner be granted a tag every year if he only owns 1 acre of ground? A landowner is a landowner, correct??? You can't pick and choose your limitations if you're totally against them in the first place, besides I'm sure it's your Constitutional Right anyway somehow.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with every word. I am graduating here soon and have a job in Colorado and I want to hunt Iowa, but with prices like that the hell with it. I will just spend my money on elk hunting in Clorado. You look at South Dakota and pheasent hunting, there big push is out of staters. Out of staters come there spend money on gas, food, houseing or whatever and they make loads of mony this way. Iowa would rather push them away. Out of staters still come but somstimes not following the law. Iowa should lower there price to bring more hunters in, but limmit the number of tags. All nrlandowners should get first choice. Thats my two cents worth

How many nonresident landowners own 1 acre of land and want to hunt deer in IA? Probably none. If the guys' land is supporting a huntable population of deer than by God he should get to come here and hunt his land. It's his land that the deer are living on, he pays taxes on it. The DNR and Farm Bureau are screaming for us residents to basically shoot as many deer as we want to spend $11 tags on. Hell, most hunters I know are buying 2-6 doe tags a year and this nonresident can't even get a tag? Bullsheet if you ask me. A nonresident is not going to hurt a damn thing coming here and hunting our deer or killing a big buck on his own land, or one of his buddies land, or wherever he chooses to hunt legally.
BTW, Nice meeting you and I love the tent
grin.gif

Even if they would just let the nrland owner that had 20 acre or more hunt, that would be better than nothing. If there are deer on your 20 acres or not you still are going to hunt that 20 acres. So what kind of a problem is it for an instate guy or lady.

I guess this should be a problem for archery hunting but I thought that most out of state shotgunners already had it figured out? You know, get a doe only non resident tag and then party hunt with at least five good friends who's wives hunt, ha.ha..., and then the problem is solved right? Not that I support this but it is the unfortunate tactic that seems to be used. You may coin it the "Governers Wife Tag". I may be wrong about the ease of getting a nonresident doe only tag so if I am I will take my crow medium well. Anyhow this is one way I have seen this side stepped with the gun. I only hope I can have the same problem owning land in another state myself. If it is in Illinois we can swap hunts. Good luck.

As far as I am concerned, this is the best system in the union! If we open it up to NR Landowners then the NR non-land owners will bitch until they get their way. It won't be long and it will be like Wisconsin or Minnesota (No where to hunt and very limited quality deer). Iowa would soon be just another State to hunt and the "Trophy" possibilities would be few and far between.

I used to hunt both Minnesota and Wisconsin. Both of those States have been ruined by non-residents. I would hate to see Iowa turn into a State like that!

Nothing against non-residents, I have been a non-resident hunter in a few different states. One thing to think about is that if all non-resident landowners would be guaranteed a tag every year, then that would entice even more wealthy non-residents to buy Iowa land. This would displace many of us resident hunters who hunt our neighbor's properties or pay some of our neighbors to hunt. It would also make it even less likely that any of us that would like to buy some of our own land will get the chance due to increased competition and skyrocketing land prices ( already there ). Do you own land in Illinois? If you do, then you probably have a great opportunity there to connect on a nice buck. Why do you feel the need to hunt in several states every year when many Iowa residents can only afford to hunt here? If you don't own land in Illinois, then why not? Too much competition? I am not trying to upset anyone, but many of us do not have a ton of money to spend on hunting and are simply trying to make the best out of what opportunities we do have. I understand your frustration especially if you don't have opportunities in Illinois, but we do not want to end up frustrated without a place to hunt either.

I have to apologize..I can't help my overbearing sense of sarcasm. None the less there isn't probably going to be an easy answer to this question. I just had to try to stoke the fire. Seriously one of these days when my rugrats get old enough I may actually have enough money to go out of state some where to go hunting. Needless to say out of state fees and limited draws aren't the most popular thing but something has to be there to control who gets to do what and where. It would be a free for all elsewise.

We need a graemlin on here that has a dead horse and someone beating on it...seriously. I am so sick of this same ol' post over and over again.

This site has been great over the years with deer hunting tips, pics and stories, however, this time of year it is whining, complaining, back stabbing, mine is better, yours is inferior, etc etc etc etc.

Anyone that thinks I am out of line and need to rethink my stance on this post, please review the link provided below

Help for those that need it

[ QUOTE ]
How many nonresident landowners own 1 acre of land and want to hunt deer in IA? Probably none.

[/ QUOTE ] Wrong, I'm one!

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing against non-residents, I have been a non-resident hunter in a few different states. One thing to think about is that if all non-resident landowners would be guaranteed a tag every year, then that would entice even more wealthy non-residents to buy Iowa land. This would displace many of us resident hunters who hunt our neighbor's properties or pay some of our neighbors to hunt. It would also make it even less likely that any of us that would like to buy some of our own land will get the chance due to increased competition and skyrocketing land prices ( already there ). Do you own land in Illinois? If you do, then you probably have a great opportunity there to connect on a nice buck. Why do you feel the need to hunt in several states every year when many Iowa residents can only afford to hunt here? If you don't own land in Illinois, then why not? Too much competition? I am not trying to upset anyone, but many of us do not have a ton of money to spend on hunting and are simply trying to make the best out of what opportunities we do have. I understand your frustration especially if you don't have opportunities in Illinois, but we do not want to end up frustrated without a place to hunt either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent post.

Game management isn't in the constitution which makes it a STATE's right. The supreme court says it's constitutional to charge non residents more for tags and or limit their numbers so every state I know of does just that.

It only makes sense that a state charge as much as the market will pay for a limited number of tags and that's just what Iowa does.

It wasn't until some time in the early 80's that NR's could hunt deer here at all and when the DNR started NR deer hunting it was with the intention of doing so in a limited enough way that deer hunting by RESIDENTS was not impacted.

-----------

FYI, there are 3500 NR antlerless tags, they are sold first come first serve and usually just barely sell out.

Also, the "State" doesn't own the deer, the people of the State do, we entrust their management to the "State" because we clearly proved that "the people" couldn't manage game populations on our own. (how many deer were there in Iowa in say 1900?) So next time you want "the State" to pay someone for their car go on over and pay them for it because it's as much your deer as anyone elses. Or maybe "the State" can raise taxes to pay for it, in which case the 90 some percent who don't hunt will decide eradicating the deer is a cheaper alternative and then you'll have no deer to hunt at all.
We ARE the State.

[ QUOTE ]
A nonresident is not going to hurt a damn thing coming here and hunting our deer or killing a big buck on his own land, or one of his buddies land, or wherever he chooses to hunt legally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha!

That may have been true when it was all knocking on a door and a handshake for permission to hunt. Today as you well know it's a "what's it worth to ya" society and competition raises the price.

automatic NR landowner tags or even NR landowner preference would give recreational land prises yet another shot upwards and more NR's in general is going to speed the take over of pay to play and raise lease fees where it's already pay to play.

You may like the Texas deer hunting model, most Iowa hunters don't.

shoot, I bet most of us here have shot enough inches of antler for the price of a license that it'd cost a year's salary or more to do the same in texas.

[ QUOTE ]
How many nonresident landowners own 1 acre of land and want to hunt deer in IA? Probably none.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, but how many NR hunters would own at least one acre of land after the state allowed all non-resident landowners to recieve an any sex tag? The only thing keeping Iowa's deer hunting at the top is the fact that the state does regulate it.(i.e. Number of tags allotted, and no automatic non-resident landowner tags) BTW.....glad you like the tent!
waytogo.gif

Make the rules for nonresidents to get a tag the same as a resident to get a free landowners tag. So many acres, must be raising a crop, etc.; whatever the hoops a resident landowner has to go through to get the free tags.
The main reason we have great deer hunting is that IA doesn't allow guns during the rut.

[ QUOTE ]

The main reason we have great deer hunting is that IA doesn't allow guns during the rut.

[/ QUOTE ]

Late season antlerless rifle quotas should put a dent in the big buck population that our "No gun in rut" policies are trying to protect. Give the state an inch and they'll take a mile eventually.......Open the door just a little, and eventually the only thing left will be the hinges. Every year we go through the same thing, and every year I put my two cents in even though it pains me to become associated with the bickering and whining that comes along with these posts. Everyone on this site is old enough and should be mature enough to understand that we all have different opinions on what we think is right and wrong........the main thing is that we respect each others opinions and agree to disagree at times. Intelligent conversations are created by intelligent and well mannered people, while the flip side of it is managed by people who shouldn't probably be speaking at all. This isn't pointed at anyone in particular, but I thought I'd throw this out there before this post ends up where the last few have gone. Please remind yourselves of this as you're replying, as I'll do the same.
CRITR

Top Bottom