Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

no tag for non-resident land owner

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As far as I am concerned, this is the best system in the union! If we open it up to NR Landowners then the NR non-land owners will bitch until they get their way. It won't be long and it will be like Wisconsin or Minnesota (No where to hunt and very limited quality deer). Iowa would soon be just another State to hunt and the "Trophy" possibilities would be few and far between.

I used to hunt both Minnesota and Wisconsin. Both of those States have been ruined by non-residents. I would hate to see Iowa turn into a State like that!

[/ QUOTE ]

what Wisconsin and Minnesota are you hunting in? Last i checked, the #1 producer of B&C bucks was Wisconsin. Land access? Both WI and MN have huge tracts of public land, many of which are fairly uncrowded. In WI this is especially true if you go to the local DNR office and find out what people have their land in the Managed Forest Law and have to open some up to public hunting.

I have no problem with an NR cap. however, as long as a non-resident is a TAXPAYER , they should enjoy more rights than a regular non-resident.

I can't help but wonder, is this whole "NR Scare" a genuine view of your average Iowan, or is it of the uncompromising minority view of the Iowa Bowhunters Assoc?

[/ QUOTE ]

What difference does it make really? If you really have a problem with the way things are handled, your best bet would be to contact our state legislators.......the same way the IBA does for those of us that support them.
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Last i checked, the #1 producer of B&C bucks was Wisconsin.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/news/story?page=h_fea_deer_IA_Albia_record_LB

In addition to the Sept. 29 Lovstuen buck which has an early green score of 322 4/8 inches, Iowa leads all states in terms of total Boone & Crockett whitetail entries, with 615 deer. Also, Iowa ranks third in all-time Pope & Young bowhunting entries, with 2,034 deer through the end of the 22nd recording period.
Top non-typicals:

282 0/8 inches (Taken in Clay County in 1973 by Larry Raveling, the buck is the current official state record and is ranked 5th all-time in the 11th edition of the B & C records)

258 2/8 inches (Taken in Louisa County by Lyle E. Spitznogle in 1982, ranks 26th all-time)

258 1/8 inches (A 1988 pick-up entry in the B & C records from Cedar County, ranks 29th all-time)

256 7/8 inches (Taken in Jackson County by David B. Manderscheid in 1977, ranks 33rd all-time)

256 1/8 inches (Taken in Monona County by Carroll E. Johnson in 1968, ranks 35th all-time)

Top typicals:

201 4/8 inches (Taken in Hamilton County by Wayne A. Bills in 1974, ranks 8th all-time in the Boone & Crockett records)

198 1/8 inches (Taken in Decatur County by Kenneth Tilford in 1985, ranks 19th all-time in the B & C records)

197 6/8 inches (Taken in Monroe County by bowhunter Lloyd Goad in 1962, currently ranks number two in the Pope & Young archery records)

196 4/8 inches (Taken in Des Moines County by Michael R. Edle in 1989, ranks 27th all-time in the B & C records)

196 3/8 inches (A 1952 pick-up entry from Plymouth County, ranks 29th all-time in the

IOWA also has the world record non-typical.

[ QUOTE ]
I have no problem with an NR cap. however, as long as a non-resident is a TAXPAYER , they should enjoy more rights than a regular non-resident.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree.

Here's one for ya........How many non-resident landowners have their property set in Timber Reserve (no taxes)???
grin.gif

eh, must have gotten B&C and P&Y mixed up on that one, i know WI is tops on one of them and top 5 in the other. Either way, Wisconsin is just as good as far as numbers go is what i was trying to say.

How one can say NR landowners should not have preference over fellow NR's is completely stupid. The landowners are contributing tax dollars to iowa every year. How should they not get a preference over some guy from say, Alabama?

I find the IBA kind of like MADD or the wisconsin snowmobilers assoc. Absolutely refuse to give an inch, no matter if they represent the majority view or not. the agenda of a few imposed on many. this idea they put out of NR's being a bunch of snakes who would just as soon buy all your hunting land away with their enormous wealth is absurd. If you are so concerned about NR's, why arent you in an uproar about the DRURY's getting governor's tags when they dont draw? Where is the IBA jumping all over that issue?

It's a member only kinda thing........Maybe you should join and find out for yourself???
smirk.gif
Just kidding.....I'm sure Wisconsin has a similiar Bowhunters Association you could vent through.

[ QUOTE ]
Here's one for ya........How many non-resident landowners have their property set in Timber Reserve (no taxes)???
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, we don't, not saying others don't. thats how we are though.

How many residents have their land in the various programs that reduce to taxes to amounts that can be found in the couch?

I'm fairly against the government owning land and taking it off the tax roll, but would it make any sense for the iowa gov't to maybe, say, take away some of these massive tax breaks and possibly, put them towards public land to ensure the future of quality hunting for iowans? just some food for thought..

[ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly against the government owning land and taking it off the tax roll, but would it make any sense for the iowa gov't to maybe, say, take away some of these massive tax breaks and possibly, put them towards public land to ensure the future of quality hunting for iowans? just some food for thought..

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow........guess I kinda agree on that point with you.
smirk.gif

i see the point of the IBA in wanting to limit the number of non-residents, because it's been a disaster in IL for the most part. I do however see viable solutions as to getting NR landowners a little more bang for their buck, so to speak. I'll be honest: I dont want these outfitters in as much as the next guy. Leasing up that much land, displacing that many hunters, it's a shame. But there are ways to give NR landowners a little preference without letting outfitters destroy what Iowa has.

[ QUOTE ]
It's a member only kinda thing

[/ QUOTE ]

You are preaching to the folks that don't join the IBA or support this site through a PMA membership. Their idea is just let everyone else do it and they will go along for a free ride.
I will soon be turning into a NR landowner because of a job change, I'm still going to pay more in property tax to Iowa than many residents but I won't be paying a dime in state income tax or doing very much to support local business except on my trips back. NR whether landowners or not can't possibly support a local area like the residents.

[ QUOTE ]
I will soon be turning into a NR landowner because of a job change, I'm still going to pay more in property tax to Iowa than many residents but I won't be paying a dime in state income tax or doing very much to support local business except on my trips back. NR whether landowners or not can't possibly support a local area like the residents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pharmer I just was trying to find the other post some time back on the other taxes that residents pay. Income, sales, local option etc. Residents should get a break because we are the ones that are mostly supporting our local economies.

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiousity, and be honest, how much do you pay to Iowa in taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am sure it is next to nothing. Definitely not even close to the amount of extra local option and property taxes that residents pay every year.

I'm not sure where these Massive Tax Breaks come from or go to. I have 140 acres with a house and garage on it. About half of it is in CRP and the other half is in Forest Reserve. Even with my homstead exemption my property tax bill is over $3000.00 a year, just for the priviledge of owning land. I have very little of the normally expected services that go along with this. I have no children in school, have REC for power and Rural Water both of which I pay dearly for, no sewer or garbage pickup, and fire protection by a voulenteer department. I do have police protection in the form of a county sheriff with 4 deputies for the whole county. I also drive on the same roads that resident and nonresident taxpayer and non taxpayers use but I also pay the same gas tax that they do. I pay Iowa imcome tax as well as 7% sales tax on virtually every thing I buy. My point is that I pay a lot for the privlidge of living where I do and don't complain terribly and that I should be treated differently from NR landowners who do very little or nothing to sustain the community that they feel they should have the right to hunt bucks in every year. I have made the point many times before that a NR landowner can hunt his land EVERY YEAR for every legal species we have except that he must draw a BUCK tag every 2 or 3 years. I am not sure how that can make the NR feel unwanted or deprived, just because he can't shoot a buck every year from his own private preserve or sanctuary.

NR land owners please hunt to your hearts content and take as many does as the State of Iowa will allow you but please stop trying to force a change in the laws and system that has created the deer populations that made you want to own land for you to hunt on here!!!
893soapbox-thumb[1].gif

I hear this all the time from Illinois hunters!
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
All you residents of Iowa should feel privledged that you have a DNR that has a clue, unlike Illinois, I would hate to see the same thing happen to you guys in Iowa that has happened to the residents of Illinois like myself. Stay on your legislators rear ends and let them know there is absolutely no need to up the non-resident permits, fight till the end because if you give an inch, the same thing will happen to you!!

[/ QUOTE ]

For those that support non-resident landowners receiving benefits that other non-r's don't get, please be content and quiet when only the wealthy non-r's own land and hunt in this state.

[ QUOTE ]
For those that support non-resident landowners receiving benefits that other non-r's don't get, please be content and quiet when only the wealthy non-r's own land and hunt in this state.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the reason I do not want to see preference to the NR landowner.

As for the people who bash the IBA, how many really know their stance? How many NR hunters, landowner or not, know that they should be thanking the IBA for getting them the right to hunt in Iowa? Remember the days not too long ago when no NR deer hunters hunted here? Do you remember that it was the IBA who pushed to get you into the state?

Taxes? I pay about $2,200/year on 100 acres. I am sure this varies from county to county and based on the land value. My state income tax is quite a bit more than that and I am not in a high tax bracket. Sales tax? I would hate to know the total but one new vehical purhase recently gave the state over $1,000 of my dough.

[ QUOTE ]
Taxes? I pay about $2,200/year on 100 acres.

[/ QUOTE ]

150class,
Does that include your house?
How much just for the bare land?

Like I have said before, don't mess with success.

I am perfectly content to hunt Iowa every once every 2-3 years as long as the quality stays the same. If or when I buy property in Iowa I will be aware that I am still not guaranteed a tag, I am fine with that.

If Iowa allows every NR land owner a tag, then I will be first in line to buy my 1 acre.

Don't mess with success

[ QUOTE ]
If Iowa allows every NR land owner a tag, then I will be first in line to buy my 1 acre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan,...boy buddy do I have an acre for you!!!
grin.gif

Top Bottom