Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

no tag for non-resident land owner

I agree with both hardcorehunter and critrgitr, except for one thing...invester isn't resident or nonresident, he's an invester. If an Iowa resident purchased land for hunting, puts in all the blood, sweat and money, does he let anyone hunt it?? Probably not, just who we wants to ...just like a nonresident landowner. Still, I don't see how this connects to nonresident landowners not hunting thier property every year for multiple does for land management or a buck...

A resident investor lives in Iowa and pays all of the taxes that go with living in Iowa as mentioned in previous posts. Big difference. With residency comes hunting privilages for being a resident. Which includes reduced fees and buck tags. If you want to own land in Iowa then move here and contribute on a daily basis. Otherwise quit your crying. Another option is to buy land in the state you reside or a state that doesn't care about their resident hunters.

Iowa QDM..
When am I crying about anything?? IF you read my first post on this , I’m not sure how I feel about this. I would like a view that supports Iowa habit and wildlife for the future and why nonresident land owners are a negative effect on it. If it is a land access issue, and the chance of hunters losing their “spot”, then that’s a side to discuss. But I think losing crp ground to cash crop, timber clearing for farming, urban encroachment would be a much higher concern then where someone pays their sales tax….

I have tried to stay out of this thread but I can't. The deal with out of state land owners or out of state hunters is the fact that they only hunt Bucks. Yeah, I know all you guys shoot does but what really are you coming to Iowa for? Is it so you can drive several hours to Iowa so you can watch birds? If you wanted to watch birds and hunt bucks every year go to Missouri. Northern Missouri has some nice bucks and the land is cheap. So if you have a problem with tag allotments and Non-resident land owners not getting your Buck tag every year, there is a simple solution to your problem, it's called go to Missouri.

5068Dead_Horse.JPG

[/ QUOTE ]

there it is!!

Great…now I’m the guy mixing the pot and beating the dead horse….All I’m trying to do is understand how N/R landowners have a negative effect on Iowa wildlife(both game and non-game) I just read a post in the IBA form about proposals pertaining to reduction of deer numbers. Never mentioned n/r landowners, even through they could help both in reduction and money. I thought that was odd not to even bring it up?
“Non residents only hunt bucks”. Do I have another option?? $150, one doe. Not much I can do on that. Maybe n/r landowners should have a quote to fill before the can get a buck tag? Just an idea to reduce the numbers, and bring revenue into the Iowa DNR..
Anther post in the IBA form spoke of PF and non resident landowners as a negative thing. In speaking to the PF rep for my area, I didn’t get the feeling of being the evil n/r landowner. It was all about helping improve habitat. I guess I needed to understand Iowa PF a little better…
I feel I am getting the answer… LEAVE IOWA…thankfully I only feel that way here, not when I’m in the state….

I hate to come into this because the horse is dead but I dont like people trying to state facts that arent true.

The renting farmer doesnt get the hunting rights unless it is in the contract. He can have the hunting rights to the fields that he farms but if there is timber involved the land owner can lease that out as well.

Every situation is different and just because it is done in your neck of the woods that way isnt always done that way and doesnt mean it is the right way. But we have discussed this already.

Hey all,

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted – life is busy with the 3 boys, work etc etc. This topic is a double edged sword in my opinion …

I want to be the first to say in my experience NR land owners are fantastic people, hunters and overall stewards of the land. I would love to have more landowners around my farm that have their overall approach to land management no matter where they call home.

It is a hard pill to swallow for some to know that you can only hunt your own land for bucks every few years. Yet everyone that buys land in Iowa knows this going into it. They also know that the reason they were able to purchase the land for the price they did was because of this restriction. If “we” – the state of Iowa – were to give preference for buck tags to NR landowners the demand and price for land would increase to levels much like our neighbors to the East.

The downfall for some Iowans, mainly hunters and young farmers, would be a dramatic increase in our land value and diminishing hunting opportunities for the majority do to land access displacement. Again it’s a hard pill to swallow but those that bought land with this restriction built into the value knew this prior to putting their name on the deed.

Good hunting!

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted – life is busy with the 3 boys, work etc etc. This topic is a double edged sword in my opinion …

I want to be the first to say in my experience NR land owners are fantastic people, hunters and overall stewards of the land. I would love to have more landowners around my farm that have their overall approach to land management no matter where they call home.

It is a hard pill to swallow for some to know that you can only hunt your own land for bucks every few years. Yet everyone that buys land in Iowa knows this going into it. They also know that the reason they were able to purchase the land for the price they did was because of this restriction. If “we” – the state of Iowa – were to give preference for buck tags to NR landowners the demand and price for land would increase to levels much like our neighbors to the East.

The downfall for some Iowans, mainly hunters and young farmers, would be a dramatic increase in our land value and diminishing hunting opportunities for the majority do to land access displacement. Again it’s a hard pill to swallow but those that bought land with this restriction built into the value knew this prior to putting their name on the deed.

Good hunting!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put!!
What else can I say...
I have been wanting to post on this issue but couldnt figure out how to make the words come out right. These are my feelings exactly.

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the investors buy the land and rent it out to farmers. The renting farmer has the say on who hunts. At least this is what my farmer clients tell me. This out of state ownership of IA farms hurts the local farmer wanting to buy land but not a resident hunter. These investors aren't hunting, they buy it, rent it to the highest bidding farmer, and make $$. The farmer has the say on who hunts generally. These investors in my area are just that, out to make money on land as land is a good investment. Nothing more. I live in Central IA and that is the case here anyway. Other parts of the state may be different. I have a buddy that owns a bunch of land near Grand River IA. He says that the only people that are unwanted down there is the Drurys. They sent him and some neighbors letters wanting to buy their land. My friend and the neighbors say no way and they are not popular fellas down there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardcore life must be very different in central Iowa. Come down to Davis, Van Buren, or Jefferson county sometime and I can take you to land that is exactly what many are talking about. Land that is owned by NR owners or by people that don't live on it. Before anyone get offended I am not saying that all owners that don't live on the land are bad. Most of the lands I would take you to are acres that we used to hunt back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, that is now off limits to us for any kind of hunting just because of the deer hunting craze. Some of this is leased land now, but most has been purchased by NR hunters form Michgan, Louisanna, Minnesota, and Illinois. Some of these farms have houses and some have garages and some just have campers pulled up under a utility pole with a security light on it. One thing common to all is the NO HUNTING signs. Some of these owners work on the habitate and plant food plots and things like that, but most do not and just leave the land as they purchased it. Much of this land is in CRP or Forest Reserve programs so these investors aren't using the land to raise a money crop other than deer. When one of these owners can be found to ask permission to hunt their land, even with the promise of only shooting does, the answer has always been "no I really bought this for me to hunt and I don't want some one else disturbing the deer or running them off my land". You are incorrect also about the renter having the right to grant hunting permission. Two farms that I personally am friends with the renter, which I used to bird hunt only on, have had the hunting rights leased by NR deer hunters. These hunters are from Chicago and are here 1 week of the rut season for a couple of the guys with bow tags to hunt and a couple are here for a few days for the shotgun season and that is all for almost 600 acres. Another renter lost the rental contract on a farm because he let someone bird hunt and the NR leasers found out about it and complained to the NR owner. These "investors aren't complaining about the crop losses suffered because of the increase of nonhunted deer and other game animals because they are making money from the lease, but the renter sure is and he can't do a thing about it.

Another point you have tried to make is how can giving these NR landowners a tag evey year really hurt the resident hunters. Well here goes. If the current restrictions were relaxed I do beleive that there would be a virtual land rush that would drive up the land prices. The law of supply and demand that you have quoted in the past would flourish. These buyers would not be buying the very high dollar flat land high production acres that are already priced at $4000 or more per acre, they would be buying the timber and brush and rough ground acres that would increase their chance to maybe kill a big buck. Not counting the acres that are removed from the average resident hunters access, it would drive the price of land up till very few residents could afford to buy it or afford to keep it. As an example in 1993 I bought part of my Mothers farm after we had tried to sell it for a year and could not get an offer of more than $250. per acre. Then the Crazies started in and now the farm that borders me, last year brought $2500.00 per acre and hasn't had a acre of corn on it for 20 years or more. Your argument would be great now my farm is worth a lot more, but only in two ways. #1 if I want to sell it, which I don't, and #2 when I have to pay property taxes. My land taxes have increased from less than $1000. to over $2500.00 and I have exactly nothing to show for it. The land is the same and the services I receive are exactly the same as in 1993. Now my brother-in law , who is a deer hunter, would love to have a hundred acres to hunt on but he can't afford a Quater of a Millon dollars for the ground and all the expences that go along with it. That is just a couple ways that this whole issue hurts the resident hunters.
cussing.gif

You should also check your misinformation. Ten years ago a NR couldn't hunt anysex deer in Iowa for $100.
blush.gif

Outdoor family,

I think OneCam said it just about perfect, in my opinion NR hunters are good people, good hunters and respectful of the laws and others land. However, I must add that many many of these landowners refuse to let anyone hunt their property, understandable also because we only let family and a few select people hunt our ground. However, we do the management ourselves as far as keeping the buck to doe ratio in check and harvesting only mature deer. If the NRs are not allowing anyone to hunt their land and in 4 years they harvest 6 does and 2 bucks(assuming they buy the $150 doe tag every year) it creates a huge population problem. The problem increases as the hunting pressure does not exist and more and more deer flock to these areas for refuge.

I am not blamming the NR for not keeping the deer herd in check because I wouldn't be buying the $150 doe tag either, but I do blame them for not allowing one or two guys access to their ground in order to help control the deer population, this truly is my only complaint about NR landowners.

Again, not trying to point fingers but of the NR landowners that I have talked with they do not allow access to their ground and I think many of us get this time after time when trying to approach them about deer hunting.

I would have no problem with the NR landowners being able to harvest 5 or 10 does a year, but I don't see that happening. As far as the any-sex tag, Iowa has a system that has worked for years, we have a nice healthy deer herd and some of the best bucks in the country. To date the only problem we have seen is an increase in does in select areas, which we are beginning to get a handle on. Our system definitely isn't broken and therefore doesn't have a need to be fixed. IL does have some areas that are a perfect example of what we don't want to happen in IA. When IL made it so that every NR landowner could draw a tag it created a frenzy to buy hunting land in the big deer counties. It cost alot of people areas to hunt and also raised the price of recreational land to ungodly numbers (at least for the average man). The next step was that outfitters saw that this could be big business for them, they buy the land at these outrageous prices because they know hunters from less fortunate deer quality states will pay $3500 for a shot at a 130" deer or bigger. Next step, 7500 tags are allotted for NR hunters hunting with an outfitter (7500 outfitter guranteed tags). Now, anyone who wants to hunt can, but they can't find land because the Outfitters bought it all up in the big counties, so they are forced to hunt with the outfitters, further allowing the outfitter to buy more land, and it continues on and on. If you look at the land in Pike County, I believe 70% of it is owned/leased by outfitters, the entire county basically gone to resident hunters unless they hung on to their property or hunt with an outfitter. This is the real scare for IA, you give an inch and in certain areas they take an entire county!!!!

HCH, as far as tag prices go IA was not the first state to crank up tag prices and we are still fairly competitive and cheaper than alot of states when it comes to purchasing a tag to hunt big game. A quick search will give you an IL tag of $365, KS $322, MS $150, SD $195, IN $150.

Now I know that none of these are cheap but I also feel that if you seek out IA, IL, OH, IN, WI to hunt deer you are seeking out a place like Arizona or Nevada to hunt elk, Canada to hunt Black Bears, and so on. We are the best of the best when it comes to deer hunting so when someone choses IA to hunt they should expect to pay the fees of hunting a world class area. All of these states make a tremendous amount of money off of non-resident hunting as AZ, NV, IA, IL, WI, have hunting that is not available everywhere in the world.

Like everyone else has stated this is a topic that gets old as we always here about it this time of the year and it seems to get alot of people angry at each other. I don't think this is the intentions of anyone, to make a fellow hunter angry but we must realize that if we want to pursue something outside of our residing state or country we are going to have to pay a substantial amount for it, that is the way that the hunting community has turned as a whole (Try an elephant hunt for 22,000 bucks). Please keep this in mind as it will always be this way and something we will have to deal with as hunters, don't attack your fellow hunter as we have enough people attacking us.

For those of you arguing about the IBA and the guys on here, we are just trying to prevent a tragedy from happening, we have seen parts of IL, most of Missouri, KS and other states deer hunting go down hill and down hill fast by allowing more and more non-residents and we are learning from their mistakes. Another good example of this is Elk hunting. AZ has become the best elk hunting in the world for 1 reason, limit on tags even for residents who draw an average of every 5 years. Look at the areas of CO where anyone can go and hunt, and you will soon find these are areas that no one wants to hunt anymore because of the lack of mature animals. Anyhow, I could preach on and on about this but I think everyone who has posted already knows these things. For those who will be joining us from out of state, congrats on the draw and I wish you the best of luck.

Kratz

[ QUOTE ]
Not counting the acres that are removed from the average resident hunters access, it would drive the price of land up till very few residents could afford to buy it or afford to keep it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I relish the idea of having to compete with out of State salaries when I'm finally in a position to buy a piece of ground.
crazy.gif
wtf.gif

We killed the horse for a pretty good reason, I'll kick it once in a while for spite. Thanks.

Well put onecam, bowmaker, and jkratz.

Outdoor Family, I replied to your post as it was the last. I did reply to the investor aspect in your post, however my crying comment was to all nonresident landowners who bought land knowing the rules prior to signing the deed as onecam put it. It wasn't meant to be directed at you personally but would apply to you as a NR landowner.

If you are a NR and fortunate enough to be able to own land in Iowa that's fine but don't expect us (residents) to change the rules which will ruin hunting opportunities for future generations of Iowans.

This (I) mentality in the hunting community is what really makes my blood boil. I want a buck tag. I want to own land in multiple states so I can kill 5 bucks every year because I can afford too. Plus, I want the same opportunities as the residents in the states I own the land. I want unlimited NR tags so I can run a 30,000 acre outfitting business.

Well lets step back and think about what is best for the kids or better yet their kids not just you at this point and time.

Like previously posted, one look at west central Illinois or Wisconsin and how their resident hunting opportunities have changed says it all.

When my dad and I didn't draw an elk tag in the unit he had been hunting in since the early 1970's I didn't call the Colorado DOW and complain. The state of Colorado changed from OTC archery tags to drawing after both he and I started hunting there. Is that far? How about the tag increase that went from $250 to $500 for the NR elk tag. Oh, and did I mention that we hunted on National Forest Land not State land or private land. So why do I have to pay $500 for a tag when a resident hunts elk for $25 on the land that my federal taxes pay for and maintain? Why doesn't a tag to hunt on Federal ground cost the same for the resident of Colorado as a NR. Why doesn't the USFW service hold the drawing for hunting on US land instead of the individual State agencies? I believe that it is to protect the hunting opportunities/quality for the residents of that state and those NR lucky enough to draw. The reduced tag fee is a perk of being a RESIDENT of Colorado. If I want to get an elk tag for $25 all I have to do is move to Colorado.

However, when states like Illinois sell out their residents for the almighty dollar I get really mad. A kid born to the average joe in west central Illinois will never have the opportunities his dad did and that is sad. Hunting has always been something that the amount of money one had didn't stop them from having the opportunity to participate. Sadly, this is changing. All we can do is slow its progression. If anyone, resident or NR doesn't understand this than you just wont ever get it. Can someone please post that dead horse again so I can hit it one last time!

Thank everyone for the responses I've been busting concrete for the past 8 hour and very tried, but will read in depth your responses, with input and questions to follow.
Good night...

I live in Wisconsin directly in the hot zone for CWD. I am just trying to get away from our DNR and what they are attempting to do with our deer herd. I fell in love with Iowa several years ago when I hunted with J&S Trophies hunt. A freind of mine bought a farm in Iowa so I leased it from him to bow hunt. 2005 I spent 18 days bow hunting in Iowa. Hotels,meals,gas ect. I purchased a farm there in January have already invested money to improve the habitat. Planted apple trees and yes I failed to draw for the second straight year. My dad also has failed to draw for two years. This is where the problem lies. My dad is 66 years old and this is my present to him. I do not know how many more hunts he has in him. Come on Iowa show a little love.

Top Bottom