Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Party Hunting

good luck tomorrow to aqllof you I will be party hunting !! I have also bow hunted every year for forty years. be safe

I seriously could care less about party hunting, if thats the way you want to hunt, it is legal so have at it.

I know many groups that do it right, do everything legal, and are a some great guys. A few groups I wouldn't mind hunting with myself.

There are a couple groups out there though, that are the biggest bunch of idiots I have ever seen. When second season comes around, me, the landowner, and a couple of our friends will have to patrol everyday, all day long, because this certain group of guys thinks its fun to run through the fence with pickups and shoot out timbers with rifles. Or, I still love the, "yeah, we just shot a deer and it ran in here, so we're going after it," while there are 25 trucks lined up on the gravel road south of them.

Fellow hunters. I once saw this type of debate going on in Arkansas over hunting deer with dogs. It was an honored old time heritage. People actually hunted on horses and mules which would jump fences. Our group hunted a river in southern Arkansas. The land belonged to the hunting club. The dogs used were 15 inch Beagles because they couldn't run fast enough to catch the deer but they would annoy them enough to get them moving. A few running shots were taken but not many because if you missed you were shamed by having your shirttail cut off. (99 percent of the time we shot walking deer or deer that turned around to watch the dogs. The meat was shared and only bucks could be shot no does. The hunters were some of the most ethical and the best shots I have ever been around but there were a few bad apples even back then. Some idiots (not our group) would use full grown hounds to run deer. Some would trespass. Some ruined hunts by running their dogs through another hunt. The Disney crowd (before peta) started crying it wasn't fair chase and took out ads showing a deer running with his eyes bulging and his tongue hanging out running from dogs. Other hunters joined in and hunting with dogs is now outlawed. The non dog hunters rejoiced. But if you have a sin and throw a stone it becomes a boomerang. QDM became mandatory for the whole state because little Bambi's shouldn't be shot. It wasn't fair chase. Then the last several years deer season in some parts of the state was canceled all together due to high rainfall. That's right. No deer season!! It wasn't fair to shoot poor Bambi because high water forced concentrated numbers of deer onto high land. So many hunters had to leave their counties and hunt elsewhere. So here we go again? There are issues. There will always be unethical people in every situation. Greed seems to be their only motivation. They are like cockroaches. Get rid of one and you see a 100 more. I live in Iowa in one of those crazy places where they do hunt deer from trucks, cut fences, and group hunt by running friends and families through parks and reserved ground while the army of orange waits in the field on the other side. One of the places they do this is where I bowhunt. I think it's wrong but I don't condemn all party hunters because a few of them aren't worth spit. Attack the ethical issues but leave the ethical hunters out of it. I used to party hunt with DNR employees. That's when I got my first deer. They did it right. Now I no longer party hunt due to some bad experiences with it due to gun safety issues with other groups. I do bowhunt and muzzy. However I will not judge another hunter unless I see him break the law. He's on my side until he proves otherwise. So however you hunt deer have a safe hunt and I hope you get the big one. Just remember that someone is always watching and you are leading by example, always. For all the paddles who love to stir things up. If you make a big enough stink to get the nonhunting public involved you can bet they will clean up the mess and you won't like the result. Ask the old boys who lost their right to hunt with dogs.

I honestly could care less if people party hunt or not. I choose not to, but I don't look down on those who do. As long as everyone is safe that's all that matters. There's always going to be groups that give everyone a bad name with the drinking, trespassing, unsafe shots, etc. But, you can say that about a person who only hunts from a tree too cracking beers and sitting in someone else's treestand. Just be safe, ethical, and have fun. :way:

I know this has been a HOT topic and I just wanted to share my thoughts...I believe party hunting is a big party of Iowa tradition and people have to realize that...but i also think people get carried out of hand and am really surprised we don't have more hunting accidents...I was talking with the local DNR officer about everything and he wishes we could get rifle season up here but he knows the way idiots run around up here that all it is doing is asking for problems..this will be my last year shotgunning cause all it does is cause problems....yes most people on a forum like this are the responsible ones but then there is people out there shooting whatever...at least we are out there all year shed hunting, scouting summer and early fall then putting the time in the stand all fall..there are guys i hunt with that think there mister mocho and shoot a nice deer every year and dont do a dang thing all year and then come season and get the nice one...I also have a HUGE problem and it's really starting to upset people ALL around here...guys running all over the countryside looking at deer and saying there just out to get pictures in the spring/summer but not hunt it in the fall and no other people have hunted the same land for many years...whats the point?...go where YOU can hunt and don't tour the whole country and look at all the monsters cause all it does is make you have a bad name...i understand every once in awhile but not every night and there are even guys calling the DNR and saying what sections they are going to spotlight that night..this is a JOKE and complete unnessary...they make trail cameras for a reason and it can find and watch deer for you all night amd day...bad thing is the guys are bow hunters and not like your going to sneek on a deer in the middle of a field with 30 deer in the field...i try to stick up for the guys doing it cause I thought they weren't any harm and have shot some NICE deer and use to respect them for that BUT now it's just getting out of hand...well there is my little arguement and just needed to vent a little...wish everyone the best of luck the rest of the season and BE SAFE and follow the laws..they are there for a reason....THANK YOU

Last edited:
Top Bottom