Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

Anybody that is interested in the corn/bean combo might want to check out this post. Looks like he's got it going on with his...although from the looks of his "un-nipped" beans, he may not have any deer /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Great pics and a good looking plot:

RR corn/soybean plot

Re: Fertilizing Corn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind and what amounts of fertilizer do you use on corn food plots? With the cost of fertilizer I don't want to over do it but I also want the best corn crop that I can get.
</div></div>

It's always best to soil test of course but here are some thoughts.

Corn needs a heavy dose of nitrogen which of course is the most expensive input.

In the past I have always put on 500#'s of triple 19 per acre which gave me nearly a hundred pounds actual of NPK and then side dressed <span style="color: #FF0000">another 100# of 46% in June </span>for a total of nearly <span style='font-family: Arial Black'>150#'s of N per acre.</span>

I sent in a soil test this winter and I only need about 30# of P&amp;K per acre since I have built fertility levels up.

I need 180#'s of N though. Ideally the best method is to knife in anhydrous ammonia but that is difficult for a small food plot.

Urea or 46% is the next best option and it's best to till it in right after spreading it on or most of it will be lost within 24-48 hours.

It's difficult to get much of a corn crop with out a bare minimum of 80-100# of actual nitrogen per acre...and more is better.

400-500#'s of triple 19 tilled in before planting is a good easy analysis to put on for corn.

<span style='font-family: Fixedsys'><span style='font-size: 11pt'>Another option is 300-400#'s of 6-24-24 at planting and then side dressing 100-150#'s of 46% urea just before a good rain (you need a 1/2" of more) in early to mid June.</span></span>

This winter N was $450 a ton and P&amp;K was about $250 to 300 a ton but those prices have no doubt went up.

Are you going to give it another try this year?
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you going to give it another try this year? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif </div></div>

Yes...I'm glutton for punishment and corn is still #1 for food and cover...so stay tuned for round 2! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'll be covering everything in the thread of course but two main problems I have are high deer density and foxtail.

I'll be planting plenty of "candy" plots to try to draw deer away from the corn/bean combo.

I'll be using Dual Magnum 2 herbicide for residual control along with Roundup.

Dual Magnum is safe for both corn and soybeans not to mention a host of other crops.

I would love to try these RR Forage Soybeans but with shipping they are nearly $50 bucks a bag versus $15 bucks for leftover RR soybeans locally.

I like Mali's method of planting basically in the same row also:

cbb.jpg

I'm going to try something a little different this year to keep the deer from going down the row and nipping off everthing early. I'm going to turn the population down on my planter and plant the plot BOTH directions. With crossing rows everwhere the deer won't be able to move so easily or at least will lose the ability to move down each row. What do you think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to try something a little different this year to keep the deer from going down the row and nipping off everthing early. I'm going to turn the population down on my planter and plant the plot BOTH directions. With crossing rows everwhere the deer won't be able to move so easily or at least will lose the ability to move down each row. What do you think? </div></div>

If your planting corn only and using a pre-emergence herbicide then I've heard it does help.

If your using RR corn and you have to spray several times then you run over some corn while spraying...and it doesn't recover like soybeans.

I'm not sure it would even phase my herd of food plot raiders...but I'am at least going to double plant the end rows.

Looking back at the pics I really don't think they would have cared if the whole thing would have been broadcast even /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Dang critters anyhow /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Do you mix your corn and beans in the planter box? I've got a JD 7000 planter. If you mix them do you use bean or corn units?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you mix your corn and beans in the planter box? I've got a JD 7000 planter. If you mix them do you use bean or corn units? </div></div>

That's what I have also but I've always planted the beans...then switch planter drives and planted the corn.

I'm not sure if soybeans would go thru the corn drive or not, be nice if they would but I haven't tried it.

One could just jump the population way up and mix the seed if that would work.

Right now I'm just going to offset my rows slightly and plant the beans first and then go back over it planting the corn.

Last year I sprayed RUP three times and I ran over to many soybeans with them being broadcast.

The commercial sprayers are huge and cover a wide span but my little sprayer doesn't cover very much. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Sprayer.jpg

Re: Corn and beans/input costs

While nobody is a bigger fan of corn then I am, it's important to understand the high input costs of corn, corn vs beans and the RR corn/bean scenario.

Nitrogen costs have skyrocketed since it is made almost soley from natural gas.

This is a link to some general comaprisons although I'm not sure that it is current as the price's I've been quoted are even higher.

2007/2007 input costs for corn

Why are nitrogen prices so high?

Quite often one can get free seed corn from Pheasants Forever so the main costs are for nitrogen and herbicide.

At 45 cents per pound for urea 150# of actual nitrogen would run a about $70 per acre.

If residual herbicide is used and assuming spraying is hired done it normally has cost me around $30 to 35 per acre.

Without adding input costs for P &amp; K...corn alone is a bare minimum of a $100 an acre,

Add the additional fertilizer, perhaps seed and fuel...one can easily spend $150 an acre without much effort.

This link is for 2006 costs but gives a good comparison of per acre costs of both corn and soybeans. You can subtract those that would not apply to a "hobby" crop.

Costs of crop production in Iowa

Fertilizer Recommendations For Soybeans

One can easily see that corn on corn is more then double the cost of soybeans.

You can lower your costs if you can apply anhydrous ammonia rather then urea and apply less nitrogen if you plant corn following alfalfa, clover or a good crop of peas.

These are things to consider as far as plot rotations for the future.

It's realtively easy to control weeds in RR soybeans as they will canopy eventually.

RR corn still needs some type of residual weed control in most cases and if planted alone, atrazine is the most commonly used.

Getting someone to purchase it or apply it is another story, which is why I'm going with the RUP/Dual Magnum 2 combo.

I can purchase these and apply them myself...I am still stuck however buying expensive nitrogen.

A bag of seed corn is 80,000 kernels planted at a rate of 26,000 to 32,000 seeds per acre...or approx. 2.5 acres per bag.

Soybean seed is normally in 50# bags but can vary from 2000-4000 seeds per pound.

Planting rates vary widely from 125,000 to 200,000+ seeds per acre.

Check your local dealer for last years seed at considerable discount and join PF...at $130 a bag for RR seed corn...the PF dues are the best bargain you'll ever get!

For those of you in the ag supply industry...help me out here with current fertilizer, seed and herbicide costs in your area.

Re: Corn and beans/ RR forage soybeans

If it ever stops raining I hope to get my corn and beans in.

I decided to try a bag of RR forage soybeans from Eagle Seed to compare them to what I'm used too.

They are supposed to stay green (if I understand correctly) up until frost and should get taller and produce more mass forage.

It will be interesting to compare them in side by side plantings with regular RR soybeans.

With the high cost of nitrogen....beans are looking better all the time.

I have great soil fertility so I'm going to put on a 180# of actual nitrogen in the form of urea, disk it in and row plant the beans first, then the corn.

If I wasn't planting corn I could skip the nitrogen altogether.

I'll put on Dual Magnum 2 for residual and then hit whatever comes up later with Roundup.

Hopefully we'll get some of this rain during the summer this time /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

In case anyone was wondering what prices were on fertilizer this year, here is what I just paid at the local Farm Service Coop:
Urea 46-0-0 = 23.5 cents/lb or $468/ton
MAP 11-52-0 = 22.5 cents/lb or $450/ton
Potash 0-0-60 = 15.6 cents/lb or $312/ton

Prices are per/lb of product, not per/lb of actual N. For example, urea is $468/ton, but a ton of nitrogen in urea form will cost you $1018 because a ton urea has only 920lbs of actual nitrogen in it. Most of you probably understand that, but anyone new to this stuff needs to understand the difference or your expected fertilizer costs can double real quick.
Another coop was slightly cheaper but farther for me to drive.
My seed was all free thanks to PF and neighbors, and round-up is cheap, so my 1 acre plot (1/3 bean 2/3 corn) should cost me around $75, $65 of that is fertilizer. I had planned to mix the corn and beans together but I decided to split the plot and plant seperately since I had so much leftover corn in the plot this spring. If the beans dont make it to fall I'll replace them with rye/wheat in late summer.

Hey dbltree, I didn't read all of the post, but have you ever thought about split planting your RR plot? If you have a six row, why not put 3 boxes of SB and 3 boxes of corn. I have actually seen a plot done this why, and it really didn't look bad, corn was a little set back, had shorter ears, but as a plot, I thought it looked good. The same guy is going to do it again this year, so I will try to get you some pics of the plot. I really think that you will be impressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey dbltree, I didn't read all of the post, but have you ever thought about split planting your RR plot? If you have a six row, why not put 3 boxes of SB and 3 boxes of corn. I have actually seen a plot done this why, and it really didn't look bad, corn was a little set back, had shorter ears, but as a plot, I thought it looked good. The same guy is going to do it again this year, so I will try to get you some pics of the plot. I really think that you will be impressed. </div></div>

Yes I have seen that done...and the deer walked right down the rows and mowed every single bean plant to the ground before they got 3" tall /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

It is an option for those with low deer densities though. Another is to plant a "wall" of corn around the outside as a screen and beans in the center.

In my case I'm going for maximum tonnage production and planting both at heavy populations will help with that.

One might also plant sorghum around the outside which would make the costs much more reasonable.

As TP noted...fertilizer is very pricey making corn perhaps the single most expensive foodplot one could plant...only the best for the Doubletree deer though... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I got my RR corn/soybean field planted yesterday /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I put on about 400# of 46-0-0 urea per acre (184#'s of actual nitrogen per acre)

Spreadingurea.jpg

The rye made some nice green manure to till in:

04-30Rye.jpg

It's very important to disc in the urea right away or put it on ahead of a heavy rain like we had last week...tilling it in leaves no room for error:

Discing.jpg

Planted it with the JD 7000...beans first and then the corn:

JD7000Planting.jpg

I planted 60# per acre of soys which figured out to a little less then 200,000 seeds per acre.

Add inoculant as well:

Inoculatethesoys.jpg

I planted the Forage Soybeans in the middle of the field using two seed hoppers so I'll have two rows of regular and two rows of forage beans:

Foragesoys.jpg

I then switched seed cups and planted RR corn at 32,000 per acre. I just followed slightly off my tire tracks to plant the corn rows about 4" off the bean rows.

38" rows leaves plenty of room.

Soil worked up well...now I just need to get it sprayed. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Cornandsoysplanted40-30.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You better put an armed guard out there after last years result! </div></div>

I'm hoping for perfect weather, rapid growth and plenty of lush green forage from my oats, triticale, clover and peas to keep them from destroying it.

The other day my son and I walked along the edge of the timber...discussing where he should till some new plots.

A few deer jumped up, so we stopped to watch. We were dumfounded to see wave after wave of deer run out the end...my best guess is somewhere around 50 deer /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

That might not be much for several hundred acres...but on 80 acres I'm not sure I have even a glimmer of hope.

Hoping for the best....
expecting the worst....

I was able to get my corn/bean combo sprayed with Dual Magnum 2 before the rain.

Calls for 1.3 to 2.5 pints per acre so I used 2 pints per acre. Dual Magnum is a pre-emergent herbicde and works best if either lightly incorporated by tillage 2" deep or a good rain shortly after planting.

Got lucky on that one...rained all night and half the day! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

It's not a "cure all" but hopefully will help me with foxtail control and I'll nuke it a couple times with RUP as needed.

Our $30 sprayer &lt; /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

00gallonsprayer.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It's not a "cure all" but hopefully will help me with foxtail control and I'll nuke it a couple times with RUP as needed.

</div></div>

It does great for foxtail, I think you will like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

It does great for foxtail, I think you will like it. </div></div>

Whew! I was afraid you were going to tell me I wasted a hundred bucks a gallon! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Hope it still works after the "monsoons" we've been having... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

As long as it was on the ground 2-4 hours before the rain, you'll be fine (2 hours dry soil, 4 hours moist soil).

Top Bottom