Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Speaking at classic & ISC dinner- suggestions on Keeping iowa great?

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
getting some points organized. I have a pretty comprehensive discussion that I feel will bring folks together to keep iowa great.
What points u all think need made? Suggestions?
All about the state, resource, other hunters, defending iowa. Winning against special interests. Fighting the greed that wants to exploit iowa. Giving back. Building the movement. KEEPING IOWA GREAT. U get it. Thoughts?

• Deleted by chipterp
  • Reason: Because
Show…
Maybe a mention on keeping / restoration of the habitat we have? Try to convince the farmers that ripping every tree out or cleaning every ditch will not make or break there operation! Worst thing for wildlife is a farmer with a bulldozer and a track hoe!!!!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I mean I’m sure you have a heck of a list- and not enough time to talk right?!
Crossbows- rifles out.
No more late doe season
Get rid of celebrity tags to quit promoting an already fragile resource
Cwd- no need to kill all the extra!!
Keep a tight knit number on NR tags to keep the resource “desirable”
Habitat restoration vs destruction
I’m sure I could go on and on as well…

I want hunters to unite & agree on “75-80% of issues”. It won’t be all. We have work to do and there’s a lot of common sense things that we can get more on board with. I’m not up there pushing “skips way”. The whole movement is about YOU, next gen, other hunters, leaving things better. Fixing things.
This is just having the info, facts, Dialogue & combining it with a deep understanding of the Midwest & history.
There’s the stuff I said above. But- we are all in this together & it’s the people & movement that will decide where we go with things. One more step to uniting folks & growing movement.

I'd say just the same points you always have. I'd focus on protecting our resource and what keeps iowa great. Point out some of the proposed reg changes that we face everywhere and why they are a negative. Continue to limit NR, no xbows, no more rifles, no more, no special advantages for outfitters, added seasons, etc. Promote IBA and ISC. I think a lot of just general hunters just scoff at these things and dont realize how fragile things actually are, i see it all the time on some of the iowa related facebook pages with some peoples ideas. They juts need someone to speak to them to get them to actually think about the effects some of these things would have. From what I have seen you are good speaker skip, i think you will run out of time to speak lol

It needs to be surgical. A couple major issues at a time. I’d choose the 3 main points that improves and/or maintains the resource. Get those. Next year move to 2 or 3 more. I think it has to be incremental, too much loses people. So, this year no xbows, remove late doe season and maintain NR regs, idk. Talking out loud.

It needs to be surgical. A couple major issues at a time. I’d choose the 3 main points that improves and/or maintains the resource. Get those. Next year move to 2 or 3 more. I think it has to be incremental, too much loses people. So, this year no xbows, remove late doe season and maintain NR regs, idk. Talking out loud.
100% agree. Our legislative goals as a movement are 1 thing a year. Maybe 2. & knock out all the BS legislation brought by the special interests.

BTW - is anyone on here good with power point??? I made the slides & info is on them. But I’m not a guru on a power point slide set. Design & how to lay the words out on them. I know the info - I just don’t know how to do a great power point slide set ;)

Skip, what day and time are you speaking? I think it's important to stress what makes Iowa so great. It's our regulations that are in place, and by making negative changes to these regulations will make Iowa not so great. Anything that makes hunting easier also works against Iowa by decreasing age structure. Let's face it, everyone wants to hunt Iowa instead of their own state because we have great age structure and mature bucks to hunt..Let's keep it that way.

i would say focus 75% on the need for building a strong defense to prevent change. The 25% could be to advocate for one change that may do the most good for the entire state. If I was to pick one thing it would be remove the late doe season.

It's like Eminem's last rap battle in the movie 8 mile..... crush all their narratives before the opposition can bring them up...

Example.... "Let's introduce more weapons so people have more opportunities" You do a good job of just making this total hogwash.

Agree with all above. Keep points very short and direct. Human attention span is very short.

You are generally right on point as far as the topics go. We're never all going to agree 100% however letting them know your/ our purpose is to protect the quality and experiences of hunting for our future generations to come not just satisfy our upper echelon today.

With all of the added weapons/ seasons / ehd & cwd there there has been a very clear degradation to the quality in our deer population.

I personally hunt multiple farms in multiple counties and have noticed a very significant digression of mature deer in all. I do truly belive the biggest change in variables is the fact that we are about 10 years in to the legalization straight wall cartridge. We went from 100 yrd shotguns to 300 yard rifles.

We went from the big one got away to I got the big 1 and 2 others.

To me it is very clear.
We are already making it too easy.

And on a different note let's ban cell cams. They clearly break the already written law. (More so than any other means)

(And to the last remark. Yes I do have cell cams and 100% support making them illegal. After using them, 2023 being my first year, yes they absolutely alter a hunters thought process.)

All great points. Maybe an idea to promote, Eliminate the antlerless quotas and replace them with strictly depredation tags. Better educate the landowners that would qualify. There are still a lot of farmers that have no idea how they work. The quota system just creates areas with very few while leaving pockets that could be considered over populated.

Last edited:
BTW - is anyone on here good with power point??? I made the slides & info is on them. But I’m not a guru on a power point slide set. Design & how to lay the words out on them. I know the info - I just don’t know how to do a great power point slide set ;)
PM me if you want me to give it a go. I make several PowerPoint presentations a year. I don't get overly fancy and your audience probably isn't looking for that anyway. To the point, animation where the lines "fly" or "spin' in, and maybe some canned pictures. Putting in tables or graphs is easy too if you have any you want any in it.

These suggestions will not be very popular.

ELIMINATE CELLULAR CAMERAS
Possibly Eliminate All Cameras

Eliminate rifles.
Eliminate crossbows.
Eliminate compound bows.
Open sight muzzle loaders only.
Open sight shotguns only.

Eliminate all shed antler buck seasons.
Eliminate all doe only seasons.
Eliminate all special seasons beyond January 10th.

If you own land and accept government (tax) money, then you must either open your land to some sort of public access, or not hunt / fish it at all.

Codify it all, so it can't be changed, ever.

Last edited:
I need someone to buy me some time to get rolling again on things in MO. I started the Non-Profit and running for board member position for Conservation Federation of Missouri. I can only do so much while working, staying married and raising kiddos.... Im goign to send out an email today pleading for help.

Agree with all above. Keep points very short and direct. Human attention span is very short.

You are generally right on point as far as the topics go. We're never all going to agree 100% however letting them know your/ our purpose is to protect the quality and experiences of hunting for our future generations to come not just satisfy our upper echelon today.

With all of the added weapons/ seasons / ehd & cwd there there has been a very clear degradation to the quality in our deer population.

I personally hunt multiple farms in multiple counties and have noticed a very significant digression of mature deer in all. I do truly belive the biggest change in variables is the fact that we are about 10 years in to the legalization straight wall cartridge. We went from 100 yrd shotguns to 300 yard rifles.

We went from the big one got away to I got the big 1 and 2 others.

To me it is very clear.
We are already making it too easy.

And on a different note let's ban cell cams. They clearly break the already written law. (More so than any other means)

(And to the last remark. Yes I do have cell cams and 100% support making them illegal. After using them, 2023 being my first year, yes they absolutely alter a hunters thought process.)
I agree with your thoughts, in particular, the ones I bolded above.

The only thing I would have differing feelings on is the use of cell cams. I deliberately DO NOT use them to monitor game/deer, but DO use them for security purposes. Short, short story...I would really hate to give that up. How about no cell cams unless they are within 100 feet of a building OR a county road? Then I could still use them for security and no one that would try to use them for monitoring game would have much purpose that close to a road and/or building.

Top Bottom