Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kansas general question?

newfarmer

Got some buddies who finally have decided they want to try Kansas, we will see if they pony up or not, but just trying to gauge a better part of the state? Its been a few years since I was there and I was in the VERY NE corner of the state and had a terrible experience for a variety of a reasons I wont get in to. Is the middle of the state maybe a bit better? Or the southern side? For sure willing to do my homework, just poking around at some other options to look at first.

Got some buddies who finally have decided they want to try Kansas, we will see if they pony up or not, but just trying to gauge a better part of the state? Its been a few years since I was there and I was in the VERY NE corner of the state and had a terrible experience for a variety of a reasons I wont get in to. Is the middle of the state maybe a bit better? Or the southern side? For sure willing to do my homework, just poking around at some other options to look at first.

I live in Kansas. Hunted here my whole life. Oklahoma is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got family in Oklahoma that say Kansas is better. I think you’re fibbing!

Haha! In all honesty I think Western Kansas is kind of hot right now. It may have something to do with public access? It moved around from Northeast to North-central. Then South-central and now I think West. I have a friend in SE Kansas and he sees a lot of nice deer, but again I think the access is just so limited.

Haha! In all honesty I think Western Kansas is kind of hot right now. It may have something to do with public access? It moved around from Northeast to North-central. Then South-central and now I think West. I have a friend in SE Kansas and he sees a lot of nice deer, but again I think the access is just so limited.

Thanks! I know it always seems to change and when I was there I did see some hammers. It’s just been 5 years. My family in Oklahoma want me to hunt there real bad, for hogs and deer. I don’t remember if it was their county record or possible state record came off the next door to them, so they are in a good area too

Thanks! I know it always seems to change and when I was there I did see some hammers. It’s just been 5 years. My family in Oklahoma want me to hunt there real bad, for hogs and deer. I don’t remember if it was their county record or possible state record came off the next door to them, so they are in a good area too

Yeah I was saying that tongue in cheek, but Oklahoma is turning out some nice bucks. Another thing to consider is the type of hunt you want. If you want it to be kinda like Iowa, you better stay East where there is timber. That Western deal is a whole new world. Completely different experience.

Yeah I was saying that tongue in cheek, but Oklahoma is turning out some nice bucks. Another thing to consider is the type of hunt you want. If you want it to be kinda like Iowa, you better stay East where there is timber. That Western deal is a whole new world. Completely different experience.

I hunt antelope with bow- I’m up to those challenges. I think

I've had a few farms along the Eastern tier of the state. T Max hit it on the head. If you want to tree stand hunt like the midwest, stick to no further West than central part of the state and more East tier. Just like anywhere, access and neighbors are key. Big downfall I have seen is amount of corn piles on small tracts with little to no habitat bordering the good habitat. I had that on a previous farm and it wasn't good. Pickup truck pile of corn will draw deer out of your farm to the crossbow guy waiting. Quality of bucks has diminished in last 10 years due to more corn piles and crossbow guys, IMO. The fact you can't draw a tag every year anymore will point to increased pressure during bow season and it seems crossbows are the main culprit.
Still pretty good hunting overall.

I have some private ground in Units 12 & 14 if your people are interested. Very lightly hunted.

Last edited:
I'm in the SE portion of Kansas, Id say do your homework. Can have a great a area, some good age structure, limited pressure, but drive 5 miles in any direction and it just crashes due to hunting pressure. I travel a pretty good area with my job, around my house isn't crazy with outfitters/leasing and out of state land owners, partially because of limited cover, but I can drive around and might only see someone parked here and there. Get out south and southeast of Wichita to Oklahoma border, man it seems like driving through the country there are multiple vehicles parked on every mile section, tons of pressure!

Its been several years, but we use to travel out to Pratt to pheasant hunt, seen lots of good bucks every year, good amount of public land, and any grass field that had a little pond or draw with some trees(like a few dozen) was absolutely tore up with sign.

And I have to agree the amount of corn piles is crazy, can seriously see my neighbors corn piles on google maps.

I just got a farm in SE kansas. Elk co. Needs EVERYTHING!! Diving in!! I will know soon. Every KS farm I’ve been on…. Far less for improvements….. almost all lacking EVERYTHING. Cause “we just throw out corn piles”. Well…. I’m doing TSI, plots, mineral, removing cattle, natives, etc etc. It’ll be done right. My guess…. Iffy right now. 1-2 years - different story. I need to see what genetics + age + getting buddies on cull bucks + NUTRITION will =. ???? I think it’ll be good.

I just got a farm in SE kansas. Elk co. Needs EVERYTHING!! Diving in!! I will know soon. Every KS farm I’ve been on…. Far less for improvements….. almost all lacking EVERYTHING. Cause “we just throw out corn piles”. Well…. I’m doing TSI, plots, mineral, removing cattle, natives, etc etc. It’ll be done right. My guess…. Iffy right now. 1-2 years - different story. I need to see what genetics + age + getting buddies on cull bucks + NUTRITION will =. ???? I think it’ll be good.
You're new farm is really close to me, I'm In Neosho County, but super familiar with Elk County have a lot of farm customers and do a lot of appraisal work in the area. Elk county get hit hard with outfitters and pressure but produces slammers every year.

Shoot being so close might get even convince you to give my farm a once over! lol

You're new farm is really close to me, I'm In Neosho County, but super familiar with Elk County have a lot of farm customers and do a lot of appraisal work in the area. Elk county get hit hard with outfitters and pressure but produces slammers every year.

Shoot being so close might get even convince you to give my farm a once over! lol
No outfitters near me!!! I checked into that before pulling trigger. To each their own by I won’t be anywhere near an outfitter. Absolutely 180 degrees different goals and what we trying to do.
We’ll get this place dialed in.
I’ll connect with u someday here. Diving in full steam- it’s fun!! Similar to iowa but the trees, rock, soil, etc - some fun new dynamics to learn.
*loving the TSI!!! Persimmons & chinkapin oak EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom