Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

12 ga. sabot ammo

D

devro

Where can I buy on-line competitively-priced 12 ga. sabot ammo? Particularly interested in testing Win Partition Gold and Hornady Heavy Mag H2K (last season wasn't real impressed with Federal's sabot ammo). Ammo sought for Rem 11-87 with Hastings rifled barrel (scope mounted). I live outside IA in southeast U.S. and little to none sabot ammo is available locally. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if the ammo you're looking or is available, but I bought Hornady ammo direct from Hornady @ hornady.com. You might also check with Cabela's @ cabelas.com.

devro, LIVING IN IOWA AND HUNTING DEER SINCE THE AGE OF 8, I HAVE GONE AROUND AND AROUND WITH SLUGS AND SLUG GUNS. FIRST, I CAN ONLY ASSUME YOUR BARREL IS A REMINGTON BARREL--WITH A CANTILEVER SCOPE MOUNT. IF SO IN ALL HONESTLY THE TWO TOP CHOICE AROUND NORTH EAST IOWA FOR THAT BARREL AND AUTO SHOTGUN, ARE NEW 3 INCH REMINGTON COPPER SOLIDS AND LIGHTFIELD HYBREDS..COPPER SOLIDS HAD AN EXPANSION PROBLEM TO START WITH BUT NOW WE ARE GETTING GREAT GROUPS WITH EM. I SHOOT LIGHTFIELDS THROUGH A HASTINGS CANTILEVER BARREL, AND DO NOT HESITATE A 125-150 YARD FOLLOW UP SHOTS. AT 100 YARDS WITH A 3X9 NIKON I CAN KEEP EM IN ABOUT A 3" GROUP.. AND I AM NOT A GREAT SHOT.. LAST 3 YEARS I HAVE TRIED MOST SLUGS, USUALLY SHOOT 75-100 ROUNDS PER FALL. PRICE SHOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE THESE SLUGS ARE ACCURATE.. 1 SHOT====1 KILL.I'M CONFIDENT. EXPANSION IS AWESOME IN BOTH CHOICES. THE SLUGS IM SHOOTING DROP3.9 INCHES AT 125 YARDS. DON'T RULE OUT AN IN LINE MUZZLE LOADER. THOMPSON CENTER BLACK DIAMOND AND 209X50 ENCHOR ARE LEGITIMATE 200 YARD GUNS... KNIGHT .45 SUPER DISC IS ALSO PERFORMING OUTSTANDING SO FAR W/ 150 GRAINS OF CLEANSHOT AND CVA POWERBELT BALISTIC TIP BULLETS. M350 OUT

Slughunters,

I have always tried to keep abreast of the latest developments in slug guns and slugs (because I'm obsessed with deer & der hunting!). Last year, Winchester introduced their "Supreme Partition Gold" sabots, which revolutionized the slug industry because they were the first to load 12-gauge shells with what amounts to 20-gauge bullets. This allowed for much higher velocities because the same amount of powder was pushing a smaller bullet. Published tests found muzzle velocities of 1,800 to 1,900 feet per second (typical slugs fly around 1,000-1,300 fps)! Muzzle energy is 3,300 ft.-lbs. Slugs are 385 grains.

This year, 2 new sabot slugs are on the market that are even faster. They are Federal's "Premium High-Velocity Barnes EXpander" (1,900 fps, 325 grains) and Hornady's "H2K Heavy Mag" (2,000 fps, 3,000 ft.-lbs., 300 grains).

Now, 100 to 150-yard shots are a piece-of-cake! I'm definitely switching to 1 of these 3 slugs this coming season for my Remington 870 with Hastings rifled barrel (for drive hunting) and Savage 210F Master Shot with Leupold scope (for stand hunting).

By the way, The Sportsman's Guide is selling the Winchester Supreme's for $10.50/box of 5 when you order 5+ boxes.

OrionWhitetails

Top Bottom