Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2nd Split

BowHunter84

Are many people going out 2nd split bow hunting?
As of today i have 2 deer tags and 1 turkey tag to fill yet! I think im going to have to go 2nd split

Is secound split harder than first because the deer are spooked from shotguns?

BowHunter84 I found last year that 2nd bow season was much harder than the first. I was not able to see as many deer as first. I did not get one in 2nd season last year but am determined to succeed this year. Good Luck!

For me the 2nd half of the bow season seems to be when I've put the most deer in the freezer. Perhaps this has to do with the simple fact that it's down to the wire so I get out more often, but I think it's probably more attributed to the fact that the deer seem to be herded up more and tend to be concentrated on field edges feeding.

My strategy is pretty simple, figure out where the deer typically enter the field and where they are concentrating their feeding, find a bush or some other item to break up your form to stand by, and wait. Depending on the temperature I usually try to get out to my spot for the last 1.5-2 hours of shooting time, it gets pretty hard to stand still any longer than that if we have a typical Iowa January.

I still have 1 doe tag to fill w/bow and 1 late muzzleloader any sex i love this late season you mostly have the woods to yourself and most farmers will let you hunt as they have already filled their tags
grin.gif
There is some really good hunting in this late season too!!! most of my "big" bucks come from this season the only problem I have is getting them out w/o breaking off the rack as the last year I got out (2 yrs ago) I pulled off both antlers
shocked.gif
when I tried to pull the deer out. So just a word of caution "Be Carefull" I now have one of those plastic sleds from Walmart ($8.95 ) and a couple of bungee cords to get him out.
as far as your turkey tag I would forget that as season closed 11/30/02

Good Luck and stick in their
beerchug.gif

Turkey season is not over for me yet, i still have second split, i decided to go with the Turkey bow tag, which is the same seasons as deer tags are. Are turkey hard to find when it is really cold out? Where is the best place to find turkey during the second split?

Top Bottom