Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A couple firsts

BJohnson

This spring was my first season hunting turkeys. As an experienced bowhunter, it felt a little strange starting over hunting an animal I knew so little about. As such, I leaned on a good friend, RJack, - asking lots of questions and hunting a few days together the past two weekends.

Saturday am we started the day at my farm, hunting my west side bottom next to the creek. The 4 hour am hunt was a parade of animals (3 hens, 4 does, and 5 bucks strolled by under 45 yrds) but we couldn't get the 2 gobblers we heard to come across the creek to our setup.

About 10 we decided to relocate to Roger's farm nearby. By 11 we had settled in on a spot overlooking his clover plot. The first hen showed up fairly quick and we had decent hen activity off and on for the next 2 hrs. We heard some gobblers in the distance but never had the sense that any had moved our direction.

We had just discussed our plans for the rest of the day (Roger was going to head home and I was going to go back to my farm and hunt the remainder of the day) when a hen trotted into the plot from the left. Shortly after, more hens and two gobblers silently approached from the same direction. We thought the game was over when the hens turned away from us but Roger gave a few light calls to turn the larger bird back in the direction of our decoys. Shot was a bit farther than we both estimated but the bird never moved once he hit the clover.

I normally deer hunt alone. Sharing this first turkey kill with a good friend was also a first. Thanks Roger, it was a great time buddy!!

24+ lbs, 1+ spurs, 8+ beard, Rem870

f97844c72b4b7715c1d3a83bd30392a3.jpg
ec6bc31182b66f3afc366776960084a0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats on the bird and you’ll wonder or wish you started hunting these dumb birds years ago but it’s never too late to start!
As far as the Jackson boys they are legends and bonafide turkey killers…. great mentors

Congrats Brent. Bowhunting turkeys is fun, but a lot more fun with a buddy. Especially since it takes so much crap, nice to have someone help carry things!

Awesome Brent !!!!! Keeps life, hunting & memories exciting!!! I’ve never seriously hunted them myself either. U r lucky to have a great friend & mentor!! Congrats guys!!!

Top Bottom