Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A few Questions for Blind Sow

J

jason

Hello,

I'm a junior in high school, and I wanting to make a career in the outdoors. Im interested in working for the DNR, but not sure what area. I have a some questions for you to help on a few things Im not clear about.
I understand your a conservation officer, what exactly do you do?
What is the difference between a game warden, and a conservation officer?
I LOVE to hunt and fish, and I really really don't want to miss any time in the out doors. I was just wondering how much you work. Like how many hours a day, and how often on weekends?
What are other areas of working for the DNR are there? How do they differ from each other?
And my last question, I understand I need a college education, but what are other things I can do to prepare for work in any areas of work for the DNR?
I would appreciate it alot if you could answer some of my questions!

Thanks,
Jason V

Jason,

There is no difference between being called a conservation officer or a game warden, it mostly depends where (what state) you live in.

What do conservation officers do? We check hunters and anglers for proper licenses, make sure they obey bag and possession limits, shooting hours, etc.

We also enforce Iowa's navigation (boating) laws, snowmobile and ATVs, check for proper licensing and paperwork for game breeders and taxidermists.

Public relations is a big part of our job, ensuring the public keeps informed on what the DNR is doing. This information can be delivered in a variety of ways - radio shows, newspaper articles/columns, talks to different organizations and television spots. (So having a good speaking/writing background helps.)

Besides conservation officers, the DNR has wildlife biologists and fishery biologists and nongame biologists. There is also the parks division - either a park ranger or park manager (who does not have law enforcement powers).

COs love to hunt and fish but in reality the job does cut into some of the prime hunting times.

We do not work set hours. Especially in the fall when we may work some hours during the day and then again later that same night. Six months out of the year (the off season) we get two weekends off and during the hunting seasons we get one scheduled weekend off per week. The rest of our days off are scheduled during the week.

As far as school goes a major in fish and wildlife management or biology would work well. As mentioned above speaking and writing skills are a plus.

Contact your local DNR district office at Brighton, they should have a brochure that deals with the various jobs within the DNR. Their phone number (at Lake Darling State Park) is 319-694-2430.

Hopefully this answers some of your questions.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Top Bottom