Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A Honored Guest to Iowa

porter11bravo

I would like to introduce myself before I post anything else. My name is Porter and have been bow hunting in the South East for 30 years, the last 12 or 15 have been more Bowhunting than rifle. I consider myself a patron to the management of deer and am raising my two girls with the same values and skills needed to become the next outdoorsy type generation. Don't get me wrong I am not a hardcore bone hunter..... But after the freezer is full I go after mature or cull buck. We live off deer and process our own meat, except the sausage, I don't have smokehouse. Burger is our favorite, we put back 5 deer if so blessed. My sister lives in Wadena and I just came back from up there..............Beautiful! Those of you who live in Iowa should be proud, NE Iowa is particularly awesome. I walked her property and found the sign amazing, Apples..........in the wild......Awesome, jumped two does that were every bit of 150 165 pound range. I am planning on going back up around thanksgiving to check it out again. Looking for some local intel and some bow hunting guys to talk at. I am shooting for my first pope and young, I shoot a Mathews Z7 with the Original Tekkan. My preferred method of hunting is climb and kill, I don't use permanent stands or hunt plots, scouting is my middle name and scent scent scent! I am a firm believer in covering scent! Tell me how a guy kills a buck in the same boots that he just wore into the local gas station?? Hope to meet some experienced bow hunters!! Thanks for the site

Well first off, welcome to the site. Wadena huh, beautiful up that way this time of the year. I grew up about 30 min from there. Don't get to go up that way quite as much anymore. Good luck this upcoming season.

Welcome to the site! I'm sure you will be well pleased with the people you meet here. Lots of information to go around on nearly any subject. Are you going to be hunting this year or just scouting and learning the land? Good luck!

Thanks to all.......Just learning the area this year.... Going to do some sitting though, get some film action goin!! Going around thanksgiving, I hoping to see white on the ground and be near the rut.....am I catching tail end of it around that time......My states deer rut times can vary by months according to what county your in

Welcome.. anywhere from the 7th to the 15th would probably be considered the peak of the rut around here.. but around Thanksgiving time, you'll still find bucks running around like chickens with their heads cut off looking for that last hot doe.

Good old Wadena.... had a few beers at Barneys in the last few years. :grin:

Great area, lots of deer. Your scouting approach should work well. Lots of rolling hills and river bottoms out that way. Hunt the benches on the ridges between major bedding areas or find funnels through some of the crp areas out there. Not sure what the property you are hunting looks like for sure, but benches and funnels that time of year are key. Good luck. I don't think you'll have any problem finding a P&Y class deer out there :way: Like 10 minutes :grin:

Be ready to see lots of deer when you come back around Turkey Day. Where warm clothes and be ready to have the film rolling. Lots of deer and plenty of great bucks up in that area. I'd be putting in to draw that area if you can hunt that land. Might have a better chance drawing late muzzy or shotgun, but bow season in that area can be pretty intense.

Great,great info thanks a lot.....I am super stoked now and figured the area good but comments have confirmed, nice! I just got my money back aces weeks ago,second year so I think next year I,ll be good. Gonna work the area hard this year to hopefully be fully prepared. Rolling hills there is no shortage, I found myself bustin the draw just because there were so many! Are any of you guys from around Wadena, the area I have obtained is near the Buck Hill Camp Grounds! Love it! I will be bringing some good ole southern made wine up if anyone wants to tell some lies around thanksgiving I,ll be looking to get into the scene being I have been families in on some property. Thanks again for the info, our bow season starts this weekend and I,m hoping for the ole z7 to do what it does best, that is truly a fine piece of equipment. I started with an ol bear whitetail2 and killed many deer with it before upgrading to pse had a couple of those before going Mathews last year,wow

Welcome to Iowa and........Iowa whitetail!! Your in for a awakening my friend! :D Enjoy the trip!!!!!!!:way:

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom