Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Advice on dam erosion prevention….

Pops

PMA Member
My dam has had major work done on it, with lots of dirt moved.
I have an old harrow I can use on it. I’d like some advice on what to plant on it. I have some cereal rye, wheat, and Crimson clover. My local go to, Iowa-Missouri Hybrids is temporarily closed. Is there somewhere else I could pick up additional seeds in the Keosauqua-Fairfield-Mt Pleasant area?
Is there an erosion mix you recommend at this time?
Will the rye-wheat-Crimson Clover hold it through the winter?
Comments?
Thank you.

All those are good & one critical addition is a mix of cool season grasses. U can order “water way mixes” & usually farm stores have them. Stuff like brome, fescue, etc. Great on holding soil. About the only time I’m ever planting cool seasons is to hold soil. Mix it in with oats, rye, clover, etc & u will be set!!!

I have the exact same thing going right now, just rebuilt a pond dam. I talked with Welter Seed and they recommended their “Soil Saver” seed mix which is a blend of cool season grasses. I just drilled the seed last weekend so praying for a couple of light rains.

I have the exact same thing going right now, just rebuilt a pond dam. I talked with Welter Seed and they recommended their “Soil Saver” seed mix which is a blend of cool season grasses. I just drilled the seed last weekend so praying for a couple of light rains.
Thanks! I used Welter years ago with good results. I think a lot of us could use some rain!

Top Bottom