Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Am I getting Old? Need help

BugleMIn

On Friday I bought a climbing treestand. I used it on a Urban hunt in Des Moines at west end of Water Works. Shot a doe with it, it worked beautifully. Another hunter and I were looking at it, it was behind my truck. Upon leaving I forgot to load it into my truck and drove off.

After de-boning the deer and starting to unload my truck at home I realized where it was. I raced back to the parking lot and it was gone. It was only there 1 hour and 20 minutes, somebody found and took it.

It was the platform portion of a climber with a rubber strap. I talked to the other hunter, he didn't see it.

If another hunter hears about somebody finding it, there is a reward. No questions asked. I would have picked it up too. Except I would try to find out whose it is.

Thanks. (I only had ownership of it for 7 hours. Ouch $200 mistake)

BugleMIn,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Sounds like the kind of thing I find myself doing more and more often. Old timer's disease I guess.

If you haven't already done so I'd suggest posting notices at the local archery shops. Could also see if you can get a list of other people with urban tags for water works and make a few calls. I'd like to think if another bowhunter picked it up they are holding it for safe keeping and looking for the owner. Good luck!

Old Buck, I would like to think that you where right about finding who's stand it is. I don't know that I have that much faith anymore after having fixed stands stolen this spring out of my hunting area and I was not the only one in area to have this happen. It seems like some are losing our hunting brothers respect.

BugleMIn, I am sorry to hear your lose and hope that you are able to find it and congrads on the doe. Sounds like you know how to pick the right tree.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chipguy:
Old Buck, I would like to think that you where right about finding who's stand it is. I don't know that I have that much faith anymore after having fixed stands stolen this spring out of my hunting area and I was not the only one in area to have this happen. It seems like some are losing our hunting brothers respect.

BugleMIn, I am sorry to hear your loss and hope that you are able to find it and congrads on the doe. Sounds like you know how to pick the right tree.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should we be able to impose vigilante justice on someone stealing a hunters Deer Stand?

I think so. No HUNTER I know would steal that or anything eles belonging to ANOTHER hunter. Friggin assholes.

Hey the only thing I ever stole was second base, and I got my hands slapped for that!
grin.gif

I don't think it was necessarily another hunter. The parking lot is a great place for kids to park and sip brew.

It was just laying in the parking lot, not in a tree. If it were in a tree the act would have been deliberate. Somebody actually just found mine laying on the ground, this is a city hunt, it could be anyone, but most likely teenagers.

I emailed Bear River, the manufacturer to see what a replacement platform costs. Also put notice in to the local archery shops.

just a note to let you know that sometimes the "thief" gets his due a couple of yrs ago a guy was in my hunting ares (neighbor w/o Permission) tearing up the old loggin trails w/ his new 4 wheeler saw my ladder stand and thought he needed it more than me (was Locked w/chain ) took it to work with him a few days later and sold it to my brother in law
grin.gif
who brought to me who contacted the sheriff
grin.gif

Thanks for the kind words. Bear River, the treestand mfger, feels sorry for me and is sending me another platform for their cost.$60. That is too good to turn down considering I paid $225 retail for it.

Heck my reward was $50.

Anyways, my lack of luck continued today, I didn't get drawn for a buck tag in Water Works. A buck tag would have made the loss of a treestand alittle easier to swallow.

Top Bottom