Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

American Chestnut - Viable?

bowman

Super Moderator
Years ago, I was given some American Chestnuts from what I was told was a special tree. It was the only tree in the area that survived the blight that killed them decades ago. Apparently the Iowa State University came and collected nuts from the tree to try to figure out why it survived. Unsure on the result of that study.

I was given about 10 nuts. Of those, six made it out of the fridge and into the rootmakers, Four survived to be planted into the ground, and only one survived over the years. I have really been excited about this tree. This year was the first year that I saw it producing, but only about five hulls. I was waiting for them to open and last week they finally did. But the nuts appear under developed. I did have a Japanese beetle issue on this tree over the summer that I tried to control. Not sure if that stress is the cause or if it is just because it is its first year producing.

Anyway, my plan was to start new trees from these nuts, but I’m having a hard time imagining them being viable. Any thoughts?
IMG_4819.jpeg

Years ago, I was given some American Chestnuts from what I was told was a special tree. It was the only tree in the area that survived the blight that killed them decades ago. Apparently the Iowa State University came and collected nuts from the tree to try to figure out why it survived. Unsure on the result of that study.

I was given about 10 nuts. Of those, six made it out of the fridge and into the rootmakers, Four survived to be planted into the ground, and only one survived over the years. I have really been excited about this tree. This year was the first year that I saw it producing, but only about five hulls. I was waiting for them to open and last week they finally did. But the nuts appear under developed. I did have a Japanese beetle issue on this tree over the summer that I tried to control. Not sure if that stress is the cause or if it is just because it is its first year producing.

Anyway, my plan was to start new trees from these nuts, but I’m having a hard time imagining them being viable. Any thoughts?
View attachment 128237
They don't look good.
I highly recommend that you plant a few different varieties so if down the road you have issues such as posted it probably won't effect all the varieties.

Me- I’d give it a try. Yeah they don’t look good, but you had 2 reasons they could have been stressed. If it doesn’t work you’re out a little time. If it works- I want some next year!

Can you get scions off that original tree?

Top Bottom