Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antler growth

tall@wide

PMA Member
I had very high hopes for big racks this year with the mild winter and rain but I'm not seeing it. Bucks I expected to gain a lot this year did not. What's everyone else seeing at this point?

I believe the mature buck are still lying low in bachelor groups for a few more weeks. Haven't had any pics since May so I know there's some around.

I have seen one that has blown up, otherwise nothing impressive yet..but I wont really start seeing many of the big ones until the first week in August typically

I believe the mature buck are still lying low in bachelor groups for a few more weeks. Haven't had any pics since May so I know there's some around.
I had 3-4 bucks from last year that I thought had great potential. I have them on camera this year and they had minimal growth (gain). I'm still hoping some new bucks move in before the fall.

I had very high hopes for big racks this year with the mild winter and rain but I'm not seeing it. Bucks I expected to gain a lot this year did not. What's everyone else seeing at this point?
Same here. Had high hopes but so far its been minimal gain.

Lots of gains by me.
I did look at pics, years past, from 7/25 to August 15 I think…. usually have deer grow a good bit yet. So- hold tight on your conclusions. Deer by me have made far better jumps VS last year on average.

Im still watching with anticipation as well but one thin Ive definitely noticed is that they seem to be way more developed at this point than last year at this time. Hope that means they'll end up bigger in the end but don't know. They are at least 2 weeks ahead of last year development wise. Anyone else noticing this?

We don't always have cams out during the spring, so year to year comparisons are sketchy for us in that time period. But...my son did have a couple cams up through the spring months this year and we definitely saw way better than normal growth on known bucks in the April-early June timeframe this year.

Now then, did they start off as a house afire and then "normalize", slow down in June/July and will end up normal for the year? I don't know yet, but they were off to a great start in our woods.

I think right now, it’s looking pretty good. I have not seen some of the bucks I’m hoping survived… but it’s early !

Too early for me to really recognize specific bucks, no forking of tines, basal stickers not pronounced, etc. A couple are looking good, but just which ones they are compared to last year is still open.

Good for 1st week of july!
94e1553aa880ce5cebba9f90eb055f14.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I feel like i’ve been seeing strong early growth this year. Now that we are getting into that really fun time of year with antler growth starting to peak and the bachelor groups hitting the beans hard the next 4 to 6 weeks.
I’ve seen two bucks this year that I know and they have both added inches for sure. I have two other bucks i’m waiting to see again that should be alive and well from last winter intel (sheds, cam pics) and hoping they follow suit. Once again the next 4-6 weeks can really get interesting and fun so we all shall see!

Obviously nothing to do with this thread but I got an eye on a really nice buck in the ditch on the diagonal south of Melbourne early yesterday morning. I do not run cams so it’s fun to catch one first hand this time of year.

Top Bottom