Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Auction Sites

stunmags

I am not ready yet, but hopefully in the next few months I will be purchasing my first tractor. Definitely going to buy something used. So I am in the researching stage and I came across an auction site that I will post below. Has anyone here or know of anyone who has bought from this place or auction places similar? Maybe its just me, but something seems fishy as the prices seem really low. I also don't like the idea of having to send a wire transfer if I win an item before I even take deliver. Also, if anyone here has a better option for me in my tractor search, any and all suggestions, ideas, etc would be greatly appreciated.

I am not ready yet, but hopefully in the next few months I will be purchasing my first tractor. Definitely going to buy something used. So I am in the researching stage and I came across an auction site that I will post below. Has anyone here or know of anyone who has bought from this place or auction places similar? Maybe its just me, but something seems fishy as the prices seem really low. I also don't like the idea of having to send a wire transfer if I win an item before I even take deliver. Also, if anyone here has a better option for me in my tractor search, any and all suggestions, ideas, etc would be greatly appreciated.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about auction sites it that the prices are low until the last 30 minutes of the auction. I was in the market for a planter recently and it wasn’t uncommon for me to be the high bidder at $200 with an hour left and log in later to see the planter actually sold for $3,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one tractor off auction. big iron. But I knew who the sellers were & how they took care of stuff and had some one check it out.
If a guys buys at auction…. Here’s mentality I have…. Say it’s a “$50k retail item”….. I’d wanna buy it for “$35k to $40k” I am planning or ready if it needs “$5k in repairs” right out of the gate. When u lose the gamble is clearly “oops, it needs $20k”. It’s rare but happens.
Few other tiny things retail or auction: 1) are u sure the hours are legit. They change ECU’s on occasion & Hours aren’t right. 2) certain regions bring more $. Iowa in wealthy areas are gonna have more competition & higher prices. Pry find better deals if willing to get from wide area. 3) dealers & resellers buy from auctions so still need to be careful there. 4) buyers fees can be crazy sometimes. Account for it. 5) plan on full service & going over whole thing where ever u get it from.

I always lean to something I can go see/touch/run/inspect/talk to the owner on how it was used/then buy. Most auctions you can do the inspect part of course, but it's a lot of time wasted if you can't buy right then and there, you have to bid and may not end up with it and have to start the process all over again.
I also lean towards retirement or estate machines. I also feel the richer the person, the better maintenance it's likely had. Same with vehicles. I know it's quite the generalization, but I feel people barely putting food on the table will eat before they change the oil/air filter/keep up with the investment be it tractors or trucks.
I like to get a general feel for prices using https://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/categories/used-utility-tractors

I'll just add, it's very common that auction sites start the bidding really low, so don't be turned off by that. It entices more to bid. The most action will always happen in the last hour. Good luck!

Top Bottom