Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bad shot luck was with me, ( doe down)

boacephus

Well, I finally killed my first archery deer in my local county during a morning hunt. I hung my climber on a tree about a week or so ago, in what looked like a decent funnel(easy place to cross the creek). At 7:45 I seen some legs. It turned out to be a doe, fawn, followed by 2 basket rack 6 pointers. Oh crap their not coming across where they were suppose to. Instead they crossed the creek, then circled around to go back across the creek but right in front of me. I was drawn back and ready to go. She stopped perfect, fawn almost stopped right in my way. I let her fly, oh noooo bad bad hit, to far back. Two bucks ran off one direction she dove across the creek and stopped 50 yds from me, little wooozy, tail down. She took a few step and the fawn caught up to her, and sniffed the ground where she was standing, then sniffed her side. They then walked off out of my sight with all the leaves on the trees. I gave it another 30 minutes, so 15 minutes watching after the shoot, 45 min all together. I climbed down with intentions of retrieving arrow and look where she was standing. Got my arrow covered with guts, oh geesh here we go already. Walked to where she had been standing, no blood. Walked to where I last seen her, no blood. Scan the area in front to figure which direction a wounded deer would travel, there she was 30 yds away! She had 12" of intestin hanging out the exit side. When I field dressed her she had just as much blood in her cavity as a double lunged deer. I guess I got extremely lucky and my G5 caught one of the few arteries heading through there. I know 45 minutes was still short for a gut shot. I had planned on leaving and coming back later once I figured which way I believed she would travel.

Sorry for the long story for a simple doe, but I'm happy that I was able to use some knowledge learned on this sight, to not jump right down and look for her when I knew it wasn't the optimum shot placement.

On another note I must be maturing somewhat. I ground hunted that evening and passed on a decent doe that fed 10 beside me for 15 minutes. It was to early in the eve to spook the mature buck I was hoping was going to come by, lol. No smallish bucks for me in the first month this year!!

Top Bottom