Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ballistics tech question

S

sludge

Alright, I am NOT Mr. Ballastics. I like to shoot. Love to shoot. Bow, Gun, hell don't matter it's all good. My eyes glaze over when I read too much about ballistics. To me it's like reading Stereo instructions. Show me the basics on what I need to know so I can get on with the business at hand.

so, that should clear up the fact that I am a friggin idiot concerning this for the most part. Can ya hit what your aiming at? Can you kill cleanly? That has always been more of my concern.

With that in mind here is the question that I have.

This weekend I purchased a new rifled slug barrel for my 870 Wingmaster Magnum and from shooting it so far, LOVE it. I put Federal Premium Hydra Shok Hp, Sabot slugs through it. 3 inch, 1 oz. Awesome power. Never shot 3 inch slugs prior.

I only had an area to site it in that was 100 yards. We can put 5 slugs at 100 zeroed in that is the size of a playing card. Considering my LACK of bench shooting ability, it was extremly happy with that.

What type range will that provide, safely & accurately?

Having sited in at 100 yards with 3 inches, would there be any change with 2 3/4s? (Everyone else that I hunt with shoots 2 3/4s, should I ever be in a situation that I would have to shoot one of there shells.)

Would or should it still be fairly "on" at 125. Or would it drop right after 100.

I won't be able to get out and try any variations before this Saturday due to the fact that I have way too damn much work to get done before I head out for the hunt.

And one last question, where does the white go when the snow melt?

Thanks in advance for assitting me with my general lack of knowledge, intelligence, reasoning power, spelling abitlity and patience.

SLUDGE,
I shoot a Mossburg 9200 Auto, I have had your exact sit. happen to me. I found when sighting in with both 2 3/4 and 3 in. slugs ther was a diff. . Since I started stand hunting shotgun season I only need one slug, but stand hunting may not be for you. I would try to stick to the slugs you used to sight in.
Good Luck,
BOWDUDE

The 3"-vs-2 3/4" point of impact changes because of a simple law of physics...velocity. The 3" has more powder and propels the slug faster...therefore when the energy begins to disapate it will drop at a different point. The faster the round the flatter the tragectory in relation to the distance shot.

I also shoot an 870 with a rifled barrel, but I use the Copper Sabots. I figure that if they make the gun and barrel, they probably make shells to go with the other two. But anyway, when I look at the simple ballistics chart on the side of the slug box, it says that the 2 3/4 inch shells actually have less drop at 100 yards than the 3 inchers do. The intial sight in would certainly have to be different, but the drop would be LESS. The down range ft. lbs. and velocity are also less. I would guess that at 125 if you held just under spine high you would be in good shape. Good luck.

In my experience you would be wise to use what most others are using. A member of our group once ran out of shells for his browning gold, he was shooting 3 inchers. He had to spend the rest of Sunday driving around and looking for some while we were slayin more deer. The cost alone would convince me to shoot 2 3/4. I have deer hunted for many years with my browning A-5 its 28 inch smooth bore field barrel and imp. cyl. choke do great. We mostly drive deer so our shots are usually 100 yards or less but i have shot deer out to about 150 with no problem. If you choose to shoot the 3 inchers just buy plenty of shells early so you dont run out. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sludge,

The drop begins BEFORE 100 yards. Be aware that if you are sighted "on" at 100 yards you'll be about 4-5 inches high at 50 yards. At least that's my experience at the range with 2 3/4 " sabots through a fully rifled barrel. The ballistics chart on the box (Federal's) also supports this. The drop beyond 100 yards is much more dramatic, and I think you'll find that 100 yards is near the end of the accurate killing range of the average slug gun setup. Good Hunting!

Top Bottom