Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best County for B/C

P

passthru47

I was wondering what county you guys think is the best county in Iowa for b/c deer.I know it tells you on the DNR web site but that sometimes isnt accurate because of hunting pressure and so on.By the way I hunt southern Van Buren county.Thanks

I think your in the county!!!! I've live in jonhson county, and I've hunted Van buren for turkey's, I've seen NICE deer, heard stories, and seen bucks at the deer classic that have came from Van Buren, and it seems Van Buren is a dang good county, with lots of deer, and lots of good deer!

Good hunting

S.W IOWA PRODUCES THE MOST B.C DEER---YEP THE FARTHER SOUTH YA GO, THE BIGGER THE DEER ARE. BY THE WAY ALL THE BIG DEER IN N.E. IOWA DIED IN THE HARSH WINTER LAST YEAR....SOOOO, WHEN YOU COME FROM MICHIGAN JUST KEEP ON DRIVIN' TO THE EVER SO POPULAR SOUTH WEST PORTION OF THE STATE..
cool.gif

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

M350 - If BS was snow, you would be a walking blizard.
cool.gif

Passthru47 - If I were you I would believe the IDNR information, they are the only people you know that have nothing to gain by feeding you false information. Personally I really do not know, however since I hunt public ground 80% of the time I share M350's reluctance to post on the internet the areas I have seen the most large deer in.

Good Luck

IaCraig

I own a farm in Van Buren County and as far as big bucks go, we have them there!! You may find a B&C Deer anywhere in Iowa but the SE quarter of the state has produced the most big deer since Iowa started keeping records in 1953......According to Iowa DNR. If your in Van Buren, your in the right place. Good Luck!!

Well, M350 is pretty close to the truth about losing all the big deer in NE Iowa,it wasn't the winter though(it was very mild!) There's been allot of strange happenings out there lately, bright lights in the sky's, very small people(w/ big heads!)lurking around in camo!? I don't want to start any rumors, but its strange not seeing any 3yr old or older bucks anywhere this summer!!!

I SURE AS HELL HOPE YOURE NOT ACCUSING ME OF RUNNING AROUND WITH FUNNY BRIGHT LIGHHTS,OR OF BEING A LITTLE PERSON IN CAMO CLOTHING. YOU CAN SAY THE OLD DEER ARE NON EXISTANT, EXCEPT THREE FARMS THAT I HUNT..I DO NOT CONDONE ANY TYPE OF HUNTING MISBEHAVIOR( KNOWINGLY THAT IS) AND I AM NOT A LITTLE PERSON WITH A BIG HEAD(JUST A LARGE PERSON WITH A UNPROPORTIONAL HEAD---USUALLY I EVEN HAD A SMILE OR TWO IN ME?????
mad.gif

I think I will try NE iowa,sounds like I wiil have it to myself seeing their are no deer there.

M350 is right, all the good deer are in SW Iowa
wink.gif
Up here at the Northern end of the Loess Hills we have to import bucks to even get the does bred! Then they migrate back south when the rut is over...It's not the license cost it's the trucking that's killing us...
But I suppose I'll continue to be one of those fools perched in a tree again this year...

Its a nice map and all but it hasnt been updated since 1998. I bet things have changed...

All the big deer that were in Iowa have been harvested or moved to Arkansas, so if any non residents were planning on coming in to hunt, just keep heading south.That's right, no more big deer here,just little fellas,probably won't be able to see anything over 100 inches,it'll probably be this way for the next ten or fifteen years.

It's hard to dispute that map, but remember that it's showing you big bucks from 1953 to 1998 and there were a lot more big deer in northeast Iowa back in the 1950s and 1960s, but if you look at the statistics from about 1985 to date, you would discover that the two counties in northeast Iowa barely make the top 10. In the past two decades, southern Iowa has been producing more record book bucks than northeast Iowa.

Top Bottom