Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Skid Steer for newbie 25K and under?

deerdown

Thinking about a skid steer/CTL. I was on one of my farms recently and the tenant had his Deere 333 out there digging up some tile and putting rock around a culvert. That thing was a beast. He had his hired man running it and the guy said this was only his 2nd day running one and he was doing all kinds of things with it in quick order. Watching him run it makes me think about getting one. On my home farm I have terraces that have filled and and water is running over the top creating washout issues, I want to add dirt to the top of my fishing pond and then raise the overflow to increase the size of the pond, there's 10a of crap trees I'd like to cut or pull and plant switch, In a couple years, I'm going to pull 4a of trees in a CP-22 program and re-plant, and there's probably a dozen more projects I can think of.

My concern is I've bought some equipment in the past that didn't end up doing the job I bought them for and I hate to have things sit and go unused. I hear people all the time talk about the versatility of a SS or CTL, so I don't think it'd just sit there, but... My other option is to get a JD 5525 and try to do the same things, but not sure that's the best option for the tasks at hand. I've never run a SS/CTL, but been on quite a few tractors.

So 2 questions, would I be making a mistake with a SS/CTL rather than a larger tractor?

If I go the SS/CTL route, what would you suggest in the $25k and less price point? Or, for that price, would you just rent one as needed?

Open to other ideas and thoughts....

I have pondered the same multiple times. IMO a SS has way more upside than a tractor for a deer hunter/habitat improvement guy. I figure the farmer already does all the crops on my farms and I plant food plots with a spreader type seeder anyway. I had some natives drilled in and just hired that part out as well. Both have +/- to them for sure.
In the $25K range I think you are going to have a hard time finding something that has hi flow hydraulics to run certain attachments. The JD 333G is the big dog and will be $50K plus for a decent used one from what I have seen. Keep us posted on what you decide, I haven't pulled the trigger yet on either and am curious to hear others chime in.

I appreciate honesty. So a Case 90xt, or Bobcat S185 or similar wouldn't do what I describe very well? I don't know ....

So, for the sake of argument, I double the purchase price. In my head it just means the purchase has to do even more than what I originally planned for. I'll have to work thru that, but again, for the sake of argument, will a 50k SS/CTL do the work I described well? Or are there other, better options? Like most, I don't live on the farm so it'd be used maybe every 2nd or 3rd week of the year if that. I put about 25hrs a year on my utv, and about 40hrs a year on my tractor if that gives you any indication of equipment use. Thx

I bought my first skid steer about 2 years ago and truthfully dont know how I ever lived without one for so long. Looked around a lot at used and everything i found was either 3000 hours and well used or virtually new price so just decided to get brand new. I'm like you and dont put that many hours on a year so really didnt want one that was worn out already - figured if i bought new and took care of the thing it would hold its value well. I chose a tracked skid loader Case after looking at Gehl, Bobcat and Cat mainly because that's what my local dealership has and is same place i buy tractors and farm equipment - local access to parts is invaluable to me. Decided on a 74.9 HP unit to stay away from DEF and i could handle that weight with the gooseneck equipment trailer i already owned. It has plenty of power for what i use it for - doing small stuff like using pallet forks to move blinds or grade driveways, etc i run it barely over idle speed and if it put the hydraulic brush cutter on the front (which is my favorite attachment) it will shred trees and brush and make short work of clearing jobs. Very happy with my decision and dont think i could do without one now that ive used it for so many things. I've dug a small pond for watering deer, reworked waterways like a small bulldozer, fixed terraces, mowed some nice paths in the timber, loaded and set-up many blinds, leveled rock and much more.

I appreciate honesty. So a Case 90xt, or Bobcat S185 or similar wouldn't do what I describe very well? I don't know ....

So, for the sake of argument, I double the purchase price. In my head it just means the purchase has to do even more than what I originally planned for. I'll have to work thru that, but again, for the sake of argument, will a 50k SS/CTL do the work I described well? Or are there other, better options? Like most, I don't live on the farm so it'd be used maybe every 2nd or 3rd week of the year if that. I put about 25hrs a year on my utv, and about 40hrs a year on my tractor if that gives you any indication of equipment use. Thx
An s185 will do a lot. Look for one with the Kubota engine. They are a great machine. If you don't end up liking it, they are an easy sell. We have one at the farm and it does everything we need it to.

$25k…. I actually think u buy an old one without def that’s built well. The main part… If u lucky enough to find one that’s been taken care of & doesn’t need $10k in repairs right out of gate. $25k could turn into $35-40k pretty quick. But, a $50k unit could also turn into $60-65k pretty easy too. All about how well they got taken care of & if they need big repairs out the gate.

I’m not a good one to respond on skid steers but I’ll hit a few side points. Few random thoughts if helps….

Premise of my experience…. I’ve ran tractors for almost 25 years now. All MFWD tractors. I’m comfy with them & love everything about them. About 7-8 years ago I started running skid steers. I’m out of my element in them. Visibility, speed, balance, etc etc. It’s not that skid steers are “bad” in my mind…. It’s Just - I’m so used to tractors that I dont like them as well. I do run front end wheel loaders & I’m so much more comfy in those cause they closer to tractor. So - that’s my personal bias that likely doesn’t apply to most of u but worth mentioning.

With that said- I do have a 120hp Asv skid steer. Run t770, t870 & t595 often. Ran Takeuchi’s as well. I’m not a bobcat fan. That’s just me. Newer ones since Doosan bought bobcat- downhill IMO. Just feel like they cheaped out & nickel & dime owners to death.

K- skid steer POSITIVES that I really like: way better for anything: bucket work, pallet fork, post hole digger, pulling trees, etc vs tractor. . So, I’ll keep that short. Versatile & million attachments. Small & compact so get into little spots. I guess we all know the skid steer +’s & I’ll leave this shorter. I can quickly & comfortably run ISO, hand/foot or ISO with hand/foot. There’s also “H pattern” - only one im not fan of. But if all new to u- I’m sure a guy figure any of them out.

Here’s the DOWNSIDES I personally feel are there. Many of these things are because I’m biased for tractors & just used to tractors. So- many of these things a lot of folks can discount if they aren’t wired for tractors or these things don’t apply to them:
-On a farm, like woods & plots, etc…. They get stuck in mud way way way way easier vs a tractor. Like, running them a LOT…. I maybe get a tractor stuck 1 time every 2 years. When I am running skid steer or help is running them …. Probably are pulling skid steers out 5 times a year. & it’s 2 guys to pull them out & usually need a tractor or bigger machine to pull them out. My tractor can get through 50 gazillion more scenarios that skid steer gets stuck in.
-IMO- maintaining costs are far higher with skid steer vs tractor. Stuff that breaks on skid steer harder to fix vs tractor. Like a popped tire vs a track that comes off for example.
-slow!!!! My tractors all go 20 to 34mph. Skid steers we run are 5mph & my Asv runs 10mph but that’s even slow. Skid steers need trailered over to a new spot & need supplies brought with it. Tractor can be driven & usually pack some supplies in them.
-skid steer visibility is not comparable to tractor. Because I’m a “tractor guy” seeing out sides & what I’m driving over & next to is harder for me.
-POWER…. Hydro final drives are just whimpy IMO. When I need a “beast” - hydro just doesn’t have the balls my tractors do. It’s most prevalent in bobcats. How many times they bog down is insane. Where that rarely happens in tractor.
-plots….. seems like it would take forever in skid steer. With tiny attachments. With tractor - even small one- running a 4 row planter or a 8’ mower is still “pretty fast”. I guess I can’t speak to plots but seems like they would take forever. Anything that needs “PULLED” - tractor will dominate.
-tractor cheaper to buy, maintain & I do think u find a good one for $25k.
-cabbed tractor is way more roomy & comfy vs skid steer IMO.

If u could rent one for a day…. Bet that would actually answer your ?’s. I am very biased here just due to my comfort level. So- just .02 cents of thoughts - worth just that ;).

0C86658C-5293-4D0A-AFF9-DB2FC0478521.jpeg

These responses are what I was looking for. Skip - how much of the work described could I do with a 90hp tractor w/loader?I have this SS/CTL idea in my head after seeing what the tenant did with it. It drums up all kinds of work I could get done with it, but if a 90hp tractor would also get these things done, even if slower, I'd rather have the tractor for many of the reasons you mentioned - maintenance, familiarity, versatility, mobility. I always read tractors aren't for digging, so I've honestly never tried it with any size tractor.

I also have a 75 HP tractor with a loader and if i had to choose only one i would pick the tractor. Ability to drive down the road, ability to lift a load up part ways and still get out and not be stuck in the cab, mowing large acres of CRP, being able to put on other farm implements, etc. Tractor will dig dirt with a bucket but skidloader is far better at that. Mowing trails in the timber is far better with skidloader and front mounted mower. They both have their place

I also have a 75 HP tractor with a loader and if i had to choose only one i would pick the tractor. Ability to drive down the road, ability to lift a load up part ways and still get out and not be stuck in the cab, mowing large acres of CRP, being able to put on other farm implements, etc. Tractor will dig dirt with a bucket but skidloader is far better at that. Mowing trails in the timber is far better with skidloader and front mounted mower. They both have their place
These experiences/comments puts things in perspective for me. I have a tractor for food plotting, spraying, moving blinds/material, so it isn't a pick one or the other for me, I just didn't want to abuse my tractor doing things I ought not do with it, especially since it's on the smaller side, hence the bigger tractor thought vs the SS, if that makes sense. Not that I want to beat up a 90hp tractor, but I figured with the larger frame/hp, it might be an option to handle those tasks better without beating it to crap, or if my only reasonable option is a SS/CTL. If I can dig with a bucket and box blade to do the terraces, that's #1 as I have quite a few to take care of. The other things would be nice to do as well of course.

I believe SS implements are also much more expensive than tractor implements, which is something to think about I guess.

I appreciate everyone's response, I think I know which way would be best for me (tractor).

Thinking about a skid steer/CTL. I was on one of my farms recently and the tenant had his Deere 333 out there digging up some tile and putting rock around a culvert. That thing was a beast. He had his hired man running it and the guy said this was only his 2nd day running one and he was doing all kinds of things with it in quick order. Watching him run it makes me think about getting one. On my home farm I have terraces that have filled and and water is running over the top creating washout issues, I want to add dirt to the top of my fishing pond and then raise the overflow to increase the size of the pond, there's 10a of crap trees I'd like to cut or pull and plant switch, In a couple years, I'm going to pull 4a of trees in a CP-22 program and re-plant, and there's probably a dozen more projects I can think of.

My concern is I've bought some equipment in the past that didn't end up doing the job I bought them for and I hate to have things sit and go unused. I hear people all the time talk about the versatility of a SS or CTL, so I don't think it'd just sit there, but... My other option is to get a JD 5525 and try to do the same things, but not sure that's the best option for the tasks at hand. I've never run a SS/CTL, but been on quite a few tractors.

So 2 questions, would I be making a mistake with a SS/CTL rather than a larger tractor?

If I go the SS/CTL route, what would you suggest in the $25k and less price point? Or, for that price, would you just rent one as needed?

Open to other ideas and thoughts....
For the jobs you listed, you could easily find a machine under$25,000 to handle. Skid Loaders are designed to push dirt. You could buy an old rusty beat up machine and it'll still push dirt all day long. I've owned skid loaders I bought as cheap as $8,000 all the way up to 6 digits. They would all push dirt from dawn to dusk if you wanted. Grapple work, bucket work, auger work, pallet forks are all jobs well suited to a cheaper machine. Older skid loaders hold their value, you won't be out anything to give it a try.

If you want to put a brush cutter upfront, then you'll want plenty of horse power and probably high flow. (A mulcher isn't an option unless you have a forestry package) It'll also need to be big enough to handle the weight on uneven terrain. A tree spade will also need a pretty good sized machine.

For a farm…. Hunting, plots, etc- if the Choice is one or the other…. Tractor with MFWD & loader hands down. IMO. Only way I’d get skid steer was if it was in addition to tractor. Stuff like dirt work- I’d just hire that out to be honest.

For a farm…. Hunting, plots, etc- if the Choice is one or the other…. Tractor with MFWD & loader hands down. IMO. Only way I’d get skid steer was if it was in addition to tractor. Stuff like dirt work- I’d just hire that out to be honest.
That's another good option for me, hiring it out vs buying a bigger tractor or SS. It's what I've been doing but I like to do things myself, and on my timeline, hence my thinking. I can slip a $25k purchase by the bookkeeper/sheriff (wife) without much noise, any more dollars than that and I usually get interrogated pretty good.. Not that that's a bad thing, I've had some dozies for ideas before...it's easier to ask here first and get my thoughts in order than to start with the sheriff ;)

Top Bottom