Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

BG2 sensitivity

caleb

I have a BG2 that is controlling a sony handycam with nightshot in a homebrew video unit. It works pretty good in the basement and I had it working pretty well last night outside. But today I can't get it to trigger at all outside. It is about 90 degrees. Should it be working in these temps or is the ambient temp too close to an animals body temp? Last night it was only triggering if I got within about fifteen feet. I have the fresnel lens as dead center of the sensor as I could get it. I also had the sensitivity turned as high as it would go without being completely counter clockwise. Is there any way to check the focus on it? I would be greatful for any pointers.

how long have you had this? When the bg'2 first came out there was a faulty part on the boards that was causing this.

Also, what kind of battery are you using?

I have had the board since february, and finally got everything else and have put it together. I am using four energizer AA's to power the board, and a Werker 5ah 12v to power the illuminator, and it works well in the basement, like I said. But odds are a booner ain't gonna walk by my washer and dryer so getting it to work outside would be a bonus. I know Hags isn't selling boards anymore but is there any recourse for repairs? I just really want it to work right. Thanks for the reply.

Brian will still fix them, but if you have had it since feb, you should have a good one. Are you using alkalines or NIMH's?

Also, what are the standoff lenghts? Make sure you dont have the sensitiviy set all the way up, you need to back it off just a little bit.

They are alkaline batteries, are NiMH better? I would even buy lithiums if those work best. The standoffs are the stock length from Hag's. I have them mounted in a pelican case with the Fresnel on the inside, smooth side in. I have it hanging back outside and it is working like last night so it is working somewhat, I just need to straighten out the glitch. I appreciate the help.

Smooth side in, thats the problem. The ridges on the lens need to be on the inside.

With this controler you will need 4 alkalines, or 5 nimh's.

[ QUOTE ]
They are alkaline batteries, are NiMH better? I would even buy lithiums if those work best. The standoffs are the stock length from Hag's. I have them mounted in a pelican case with the Fresnel on the inside, smooth side in. I have it hanging back outside and it is working like last night so it is working somewhat, I just need to straighten out the glitch. I appreciate the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huntcrazy, On every homebrew that I have built the fresnal lens has had to have the smooth side pointing AWAY from the sensor. From what I understand, the grooves in the lens act as a funnel and direct motion and heat to the center of the PIR. I'm no trailcam GURU but thought you may want to give it a try and see if it helps.

Well, THAT might make a difference huh, I am kinda of tard. I don't know why I thought it was the other way. At least when I put my pants on the zipper is in the front at least half the time. Let me make a fix and see how it works. Luckily I have an extra lens if I cannot salvage this one. I think I have made about every mistake possible on this one, the next one will be a cinch!

I replaced the lens, had to go to the reserve. The original one got kinda warped after peeling it out of the case. I would say it has improved at least 50%. Still not real sensitive mid day when the temps are up but I am not to worried as I am most excited about using it as a scrape cam in the fall. I don't know if they have trouble telling 95 degrees from 90 degrees and high humidity (dense air). Overall I am pretty happy with it since it is my first homebrew. I will get some pictures of it up soon, I plan on hanging it tommorrow. Thanks again for all the help!

Top Bottom