Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

bow hunting

B

brandon

i was wondering where the best place to sit would be at this time of the year. Thanks

Either on the couch, or on a bucket with a fishing rod in my hand.

Usually this late the cold is a big help in locating the deer. Wherever there is food, there will be deer. Get between their bedding area and the food, you got it made. Getting one close is tricky, since 3 months of being hunted has made them spookier than a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

This year? Well, the 50° weather hasn't exactly got them leaving their cozy-warm beds at 2:00 to go eat. The ground froze just hard enough that finding tracks will be difficult without any fresh snow, which we're not getting either!

Eat. Sleep. Eat. Sleep. The whitetail mentality.

In my area they are bunched up and traveling right before dark. A few come through earlier like 4:00 but the herd of 10 came through last night at 4:50 or so. The last deer in the line was a 140+ buck that I biffed a shot at. My ski mask came up over my eye when I dropped my head to see my peep. tried to compensate and flew an arrow over his back. (This is typical. If you only knew of all the screwed up things that have happened to me when hunting. I could write a book.)

Not sure when 30 minutes past sunset is but I was in my tree until 5:20 last night, pretty dark, the deer didn't go far after I shot and I didn't want to scare them anymore.

I think my sitting is over. After 4 months of hunting for either ducks or deer my understanding wife has about 2 months of honey-do's. Jokingly I asked when I could go coyote hunting, and she said "take vacation from work because your weekends are all booked up".

But seriously, sit on a high hill somewhere for a night or 2 and watch where they are feeding. But be careful where you place your stand because they often bed close to the food this time of year. BugleMIn was right on target when he said they are pretty alert right now. There is an old doe I've been trying to outsmart for 2 weeks, and she is not ignoring anything that her nose picks up.

Good Luck

Top Bottom