Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bow target recommendations.....

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
I am considering getting a new bow target this winter...... I am interested in the block style targets. I have been looking at the 'Block' and the 'McKenzie Carbon Block' both sold by Cabelas. I need something that is easily portable. I like to shoot a lot in my basement at night and in the winter. Do any of you guys have any experience with any of these targets or others that are durable and portable...... Thanks......

Get the Block, we use it in our shooting range and it works like a champ. Holds up to a lot of abuse. Once you start shooting broadheads into them they start to break down, but that's standard with any broadhead target.

Hey Muddy,

Do you work at the Scheels in Iowa City? If so do you know if they carry the McKenzie Carbon Block target? ..... I would like to look closer at this target. It appears as if you can shoot it from all sides. Also can be tighten down as the layers get worn out. Any experience with the 'Black Hole' Target? The Block definately looks like a good target......

Cornfed-
I have a "Black Hole" ...it seems to work very well for me. I have put a lot of arrows into it and it is holding up very well.
JB

Cornfed,

I bought a Black Hole target this past summer. Mainly because it looked basically the same as the Block but was a little cheaper. I shot the heck out of it with field points and several broadheads as well, and am very pleased with its performance. My bow shoots about 275 fps and it stopped my arrows just fine. It is not as thick as the Block or the McKenzie, so the tips do go through the other side, so be careful how close you place anything behind it. I'm sure enough broadheads will take their toll on it, but it has held up fine so far. I too like the looks of the McKenzie but thought I would try the cheaper option first and work my way up if necessary.

By the way, congrats on a nice deer this fall.

rhino

Thanks rhino........ does the 'Black Hole' target want to fall backward after the shot since it is not cube in shape? ........ I have had great luck in the past with the Eternity bag style targets (field points only)...... would like something durable with the ability to shoot broadheads....... Thanks guys......
wink.gif

We have both the BlackHole and TheBlock. If you're planning on doing A LOT of shooting I'd recommend TheBlock, but if it's just going to be once in awhile TheBlackHole would work for you. We use TheBlock in our range, like I said, and it holds up VERY well. It'd be something you'd have for a very long time. As far as the McKenzie one I don't know if we have it, Im working weekend and will look and post tomorrow night. We get new things in all the time and I can't ever keep track of it all between that and my other job.
wink.gif

Hello,

For a good cheap target, you might want to make your own.

Just stuff an old burlap bag with plastic sheeting (or get burlap material from Walmart and tie or sew the edges together with plastic ties or thread in the form of a sack and use that). And I do mean stuff. Just cram all the sheeting you can get into the thing and then tie off the top with plastic ties.

This target will give you easy two finger arrow removal and arrows only penetrate a couple of inches out of the fastest bows. When one side of the burlap targets wears out, just turn it over. When the plastic begins to fall out too much, it's time for a new bag or burlap cover; but, you can just keep on using the same plastic material.

These targets are easy and quick to make, are very durable, and last a lot of shots.....and they only cost a buck or two to make.

I've been using them for years. (They are great for field points but not broadheads).

Good Shooting....Raven

Can't speak for all of them, but mine doesn't have that problem. I bought the smallest Black Hole for portability. I have shot it while placed on both the long side and the short side of its rectangular shape and haven't had any problems yet with instability before or after the shot. I placed mine on top of a box to get it up a little higher. I can see where TheBlock might have an advantage if you are placing it directly on uneven ground. I like the small target, it makes me concentrate a little more, but I kind of wish I had bought the next size bigger just to have a little more margin for error. Haven't missed it yet, but if I do the concrete wall behind my target will be a bit unforgiving.

Since Muddy works with them, his opinion probably carries more weight than mine, I have no experience with The Block.

God bless the eternity targets. I purchased two in 1993 and finally retired them this summer. The last three years I have had to place them back to back to keep from shooting through. I have no idea how many arrows I stuck in those things. Too bad they wouldn't take broadheads.

Those Eternity targets work great, we have a crossbow one that I recommend. No broadhead capability but it'll last a long time.

Raven brings up another good target also, my dad and I used to use/make targets like that (chances are you may have shot one of 'em in the greater Baldwin area Raven) in our shop and like he said, easy to make, easy to use, and DIRT CHEAP! You just can't shoot broadheads into them.

Last year I picked up a Morrell 50,000 plus target at Cabelas and have been very happy with it. I shoot down the basement alot and it shows little wear. I have never shot broadheads into it though. Do carbons pull out of The Block and Hole targets easily?

How well they pull out depends on the arrow and how much kinetic energy you're shooting. Some arrows you could drop your O-ring while pulling on them and others just come right out. Some bows just shoot harder also and the arrow is tough to pull. The HoytSuperTEC and the Bowtech BlackKnight2 seem to be the culprits in that but they're special cases as they have harder cams and shoot VERY fast. If you're having trouble pulling the arrow get a rubber gripper arrow puller thingy, works like a champ. If you want something you can pull out of easy go with an Eternity bag, they pull nice. But once again you won't be able to shoot broadheads.

Top Bottom