Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck Forage Oats

M

MNHunter

I hear the hype about Buck Forage Oats, from people here that have used it is it worth it? Do the deer like it that much better than say clover/chicory or other available food sources?

Late fall - early winter it seems to me that deer eat what is available and if that is all that is available they will mow it off, am I wrong here?

I have planted Buck Forage Oats for the last three years with good growth success.We typically plant in late August early Septmeber and it will usually last thru at least one very hard frost until it dies off.As for attracting deer they seem to browse it up pretty heavy.Even after it has dies off and covered with snow they go after it.As for the cost I would say it is worth giving it a go........Just my 2 cents

Hey Man-
Do it! Buck Forage Oats are the way to go. We planted about 3 acres on a 240 acre farm and every evening we see 20 turkey out there. Also, we have got a 170" buck on trail camera twice in the past month going out to the food plot. As for the browsing, don't be alarmed if your plot only gets a few inches tall. The deer eat it down that much, yet it grows back and gets thicker untill a very hard frost. Even when there is snow on the ground the deer will still eat at it. My advice---just go for it and try it out!
HunterMan

Planted rye and BFO side by side this year. Can tell no difference in the two right now, going to watch once frost and snow show up. Have always planted rye or rye/winter wheat in the past. It is hard to beat the price on rye for the amount of forage. Rye will also last longer into the year than oats or wheat. This is the same field that beans were grazed to 3 inches all summer, very high deer density.
2005_10270016.jpg

I am very interested in planting food plots this summer. is the best way to go planting in the spring and then replanting in aug or sept?
are buck forage oats, a certain kind of oats? or a brand name like biologic?
I live in MN, i am thinking of planting soybeans, then possibly BFO? any thoughts

Norbecker- that sounds like a great plan if it works for you. There are several trains of thought on food plots- you can do annuals twice a year, beans or corn in the spring and then oats/rye/wheat or brassicas in the fall. The other option is to establish a plot like clover. You still need to maintain those with spray & mowing but with care will last several years. I have some areas of both. It is a toss-up to me which take more time, annuals go in quick and easy but is done twice a year or you need to mow & maintain clover. Good Luck

Top Bottom