Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CamoMan's late, late season doe

CamoMan

I went down to Ringold county today with my son, CamoKid, and my neighbor. We we having a tough time getting near does for the first few hunts. Then, we partnered with a very kind person from this website who put us onto a lot of deer. My neighbor got his deer first, and about an hour later, a group of 4 stepped in front of us about 70 yards away. CamoKid (Taylor) wasn't able to get the shot because of branches, so I took a head-on shot with my Knight rifle. I had only seen 3 deer come in, and after the shot, 3 were still standing there,deciding whether to leave or not. My son still didn't have a good shot, and the deer eventually took off. I couldn't believe I missed, because I had been resting against a tree, and had a very steady shot. I went over to the spot to look for any sign of a hit, and found it - the deer had dropped in it's tracks, and was very dead. I hadn't seen the 4th deer come in. We figured my doe to be about 140 pounds. I was using Hornady 240 grain XTP bullets with 100 grains of 777. It did an awesome job, and I found the bullet in the off rib cage. Almost entirely intact, and it expanded perfectly. Sorry for the long post, but any hunt I can take with my son is a better hunt, and I get pretty excited. He wasn't one bit disappointed about not getting a deer in the antlerless season, because he got a doe earlier this year during youth season. He is already talking about the buck that will be his next year. Until then, we will be making and eating brats, bologna, sausage, cotto salami and who knows what else ...(and yes, I was wearing a blaze orange vest during the actual hunt)
4772004Doe-med.JPG

looks like a nice big doe. Congrats. Camo kid will remember that for a long time. That buck better look out next year...
waytogo.gif

way togo camoman! Sounds like the kid has already learned alot. He knew not to take a bad shot....that already makes him a good hunter!!!!!!!!!!!!!
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Guys, I appreciate the great comments. I was just talking with Taylor (CamoKid) about the hunting that we have done together so far. The funny thing is that he has shot two deer with his muzzleloader, and has yet to take any small game. He's had some near misses with squirrels and rabbits, and we plan to improve on that this year. This should also be the year he can shoot his first pheasant. We don't have a lot of good pheasant hunting spots in our area, but will be taking a Kansas trip this fall to hunt them.

I've said it a lot of times on this site, but I can't imagine not having my son as a hunting buddy. This fall I may go antelope hunting, and it's breaking my heart that he may not be able to go due to football season. We are also looking at doing a hog hunt in Texas next January or February. I find myself looking for hunts that I can take Taylor on. I know many of you hunt with your kids, or bring them along from time to time. God bless you for that! Taylor and I have some great discussions before, during and especially after these hunts.

I have a wonderful wife, and two other incredible kids, so I have to divide my time carefully. I'm glad they have a variety of interests . . . and I'm especially glad that at least one of them loves hunting. Our next big outing together . . . Iowa Deer Classic, followed soon after by a Cabela's weekend at Owatonna, MN. I suppose it could get better than that . . . but I don't know how !

Top Bottom