Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Choke Cherry Time !!!

Shovelbuck

It's really hard to beat wild choke cherry syrup or jelly and the fruit is abundant this year. I took a former co-worker out last night and we picked a bunch. I'm headed back out in a bit to get some for myself.:way:

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

Anybody else here harvest these?

Trade you for some grapes

Ken, one spot I picked today yielded about half a gallon in ten minutes picking by myself. I just grabbed the easy, low ones. There's still a bunch more higher up. If you want some, give me a call and we can go up there. I can hold the branches down.:way::D

Never picked those, but, I've picked gallons and gallons of raspberrys over the years.. Love raspberry jam!

One of my dad's friends makes his own special alcoholic concoction out of fresh fruit like that. He takes a gallon jug and fills it like half full of fruit of various varieties and then adds a bunch of sugar and fills it the rest of the way with vodka and lets it sit for a month or so.. He calls it 'Bounce', cuz you'll be bouncing off the walls. It's some damn good stuff!

WOW!!!! Ours won't be ready until mid-late Aug.

I am lucky enough to have a bountiful harvest each yr on our 20 acres. I did notice a bunch of green ones on the ground after a recent hailstorm but there'll still be a bunch. I make jelly and syrup.

How about pincherry Jay? Do you have them as well,...they make incredible jelly.

Last edited:
Kaare, I'd never heard of Pin Cherry so I looked them up. Sounds like they don't grow this far south.
Do you have wild plums or elderberries? We have tons of those here.
As a side note, a farmer stopped today and asked if I made wine with them. I never have, I wonder how it would be.

Jay, I'm not sure of the elderberry, no plums for sure. Our most common wild fruits would be chokecherry, pincherry, wild strawberry, wild raspberry, blueberry, cranberry and saskatoon berry. I've tried chokecherry wine before, it was awfully dry, but I suppose it would depend on the brewer.

How much for a jar of jelly, Shovel? :D

I'd send you some if I had made any. I just made syrup. If you'd like some plum jelly, I have some of that I can send you. PM me your address.:way:

I'd been meaning to take a photo of the results for awhile. One jar is almost gone already.:D I love dipping jalapeno poppers in the syrup.:way:

DSCF00032-1.jpg

Top Bottom