Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cleaning Your Bird

That is a pretty good article I've tired each way the describe and they all work well. Now I just need to shoot one of the darn things.
smile.gif

If you want to deep fat fry your turkey would you want to leave the skin on or fillet the breast meat out? Thank you!! BowHunt'nFool

I deep fried last years bird with the skin on. Turned out great. I have this years on the smoker right now with the skin off. Never tried it this way before but I didn't feel like plucking this years bird.

Shovelbuck, let me know how that turkey on the smoker turns out. I have two with the skin off that I want to smoke and was wondering if they turned out dry at all for you.

Here's an easy way to pluck a bird for those of you with one of the turkey fryers. Fill your drum up about half full of water and get it boiling hot. After cutting off the tail, wings and head, we scalded the bird and the feathers all but fell out. It is the cleanest plucked turkey I've ever had, and it was also extremely easy.

NWBuck

BowHunt'nFool

In regards to frying a bird with or without the skin on it didn't seem to matter for us, have done it both ways and both times the bird tasted like poo. We shot the birds up with all sorts of crap to make them taste better but they still had that deep fried burnt taste to them. Personally I prefer the smoking method, might take a little longer but it tastes WAY better. To each their own of course, the deep fried taste doesn't do it for me and I'm willing to wait hours on end for the smokey goodness of a bird right out of the smoker...gawd...now I'm all hungry. If you could see me now it'd remind you of Homer Simpson drooling all over as he thinks about a dounut!
smile.gif

Mmmmm, forbidden smoked turkey.....

wink.gif

gonorse, The skinless bird turned out a little on the tough side. still juicy and tender in deep but dry jerkey like outside. Still enjoyable though. I will scald and pluck the next one.

Shovelbuck,

Off-subject...

Would you care to share the "fantasy shed" with us that is on your homepage?

If so, you might move over to the shed conference.

Thanks!

Top Bottom