Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cooler weather

J

jason

I'm worried about this cooler weather. If it hang around for april, what will the turkey's be doing??

...cooler weather, including snow, bothers me less than wind and downpours when dealing with spring turkeys...the toms take their cues from the photoperiod (amount of daylight) as when breeding begins to interest them...the hens seem a little more reliant on the temperature...so it can actually help us early season hunters to have a late spring as the toms are looking for love and the real hens are giving them the cold shoulder (transcends the species doesn't it?)...the tricky part can be right off the roost when the hens may still be flocked up...the tom at first may not want to abandon a flock of hens for one...however, once he realizes he is being ignored he may come running to the noisy hen...so stay with him...

I agree I hunted in six inches of snow several years ago in Southern Iowa and it didn't seem to bother the Toms any they were still duing there thing. Make it a little harder to sit though.

I agree with hershy, snow isn't gunna bother them too much, a few years ago we got dumped on in April with snow and the guys I worked with got their birds the very next day. The birds are starting to get into the mood and aren't gunna let a little snow get in the way! If you only get one time of the year to breed you make the best of it!

Cool weather turkeys, I know where i am hunting!

uploadedturkey2.jpg

[This message has been edited by iowawhitetail (edited 03-25-2002).]

Top Bottom