Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CRP rate sheet for one area- time is now!!!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
ENROLL!!!!!!!! This is a repeat of 2015-2017 when folks could sign in high rates before they tanked. & cash rent rates for crops tanked with it. Corn was $7’s & now is in $4’s!!!!! Similar reduction % for beans. Start the process!!! They will tell u your rate when they run your soils. U just need to get em going!
IMG_9706.jpeg

IMG_9705.jpeg
IMG_9704.jpeg
IMG_9703.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9707.jpeg
    IMG_9707.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 31
I think the program is good however last year I took my farm out after 20 years. Was on my third 10 year contract, was signed up, and did my two year maintenance by planting native grass. The fsa didn’t like what I did. Got tired of the demands and pulled it before my first payment.

That said fsa was inflexible and charged me 1300 to break my contract even though I didn’t get paid. I said, I have to pay you not to pay me for 10 years? lol. Yep.

Most of my experience with fsa has been good, they hit me on a bad day. I am glad the government is off my land though.

I signed up 15 acres in Monona County last year & the rate was $295 acre ?

…& in 24 signed up a 5 row windbreak at $300 an acre, and they basically pay for all the cost to plant, trees, weed mats, tubes etc.. planting will be in spring of 2025—15 year contract !

I think the program is good however last year I took my farm out after 20 years. Was on my third 10 year contract, was signed up, and did my two year maintenance by planting native grass. The fsa didn’t like what I did. Got tired of the demands and pulled it before my first payment.

That said fsa was inflexible and charged me 1300 to break my contract even though I didn’t get paid. I said, I have to pay you not to pay me for 10 years? lol. Yep.

Most of my experience with fsa has been good, they hit me on a bad day. I am glad the government is off my land though.
I had the FSA come out to check mine- they drove across my food plot with standing crops, almost ran a camera over, and backed over a young tubed tree. Never got out of the vehicle (camera stamps of them in and out were 5 minutes apart). Haven’t been real keen on keeping them here but to break contract is absurdly high- so I will suffer but told them there would be zero tolerance of them driving out there again.

I totally get the pain in butt with gov!!! Sometimes u get good folks - sometimes some bad apples that suck.

On the other end of it…. Renting to Farmers …. Same boat!!!!! Million examples “my hired guy accidentally sprayed all your water ways”. “Ya, we disced the ground & that 3” rain really washed a lot of top soil”. “Oops, ya, we didn’t put any P&K down (& 99% of people wouldn’t catch it anyways).”

Then go farm it yourself - I got a bigger list!!! ;). It’s all headaches. All in all…. Personal preference. & IMO - CRP is least of the headaches & by far the best for soil + wildlife & good $ at the moment.

I would love to enroll some of my property into CRP or Grasslands program, my issue is you have to own the land for at least 12 months in order to qualify and start the process.. my first year of ownership comes up in Jan, so hopefully prices will stay decent. Unless if someone know some sort of loophole?

I would love to enroll some of my property into CRP or Grasslands program, my issue is you have to own the land for at least 12 months in order to qualify and start the process.. my first year of ownership comes up in Jan, so hopefully prices will stay decent. Unless if someone know some sort of loophole?
Only loophole I know of if you want to enroll your first year is to have previous owner enroll before closing date, then you assume once property is closed upon.

Skip, I didn’t read through all the pages you posted, but gather you anticipate the CRP rent rates to go down soon? Have some family farms (not in my name) that I have been trying to persuade into CRP. If consensus is rates are going down maybe I should push harder….

Skip, I didn’t read through all the pages you posted, but gather you anticipate the CRP rent rates to go down soon? Have some family farms (not in my name) that I have been trying to persuade into CRP. If consensus is rates are going down maybe I should push harder….
The rate sheets are just an “example” & to most- a bunch of random #’s.
The MAIN POINT!!!…. Absolutely believe CRP rates will come down!!!! If they follow cash rent rates- which they always do…. As corn is stuck in $4’s (down from $7’s) & beans are in $10’s (down from $15’s) ….. cash rent rates are gonna come down.
In 2013-ish - grain went way up!! Rents followed. Then - CRP…. Following behind a couple years - rocketed up. Then grain crashed (very similar to todays changes - maybe touch worse)… cash rent rates collapsed & CRP rates got cut in half or even more ….
Give u a case in point…. Farm of buddies in 2014-ish??… coulda signed CRP at $290-$300-ish… didn’t do it… lost their farmer & STRUGGLED to get a new farmer. Finally did at $160/acre cash rent. There was a lot of guys stressed about finding farmers to pay decent cash rent rates for about 5 years in my general area. Huge flat big fields - no issue (still the rate was lower though). Medium size stuff or quality - very hard to get guys to pay decent rent. No one remembers that stuff. & we likely see it’s coming AGAIN!!!!

With these good rains and we summer production is going to be about as good as it gets. Supply & Demand--- Prices likely downward trend going into fall.

Taking out 21 counties in NW IA due to flooding? Some parts of south central Iowa behind on rain? My guess is it averages out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom