Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CW’s Brutal 2023 Turkey Season

CurtisWalker

Coming into 2023 I was stoked for turkey season. I knew my wife wanted to go after her second turkey and I had a few first time hunters lined up to take out.

Youth season I got out with a friend and his son on the Friday evening. Unfortunately after watching turkeys do the same thing every day for a week or so they decided they were going to change their plans that day and never showed and we couldn’t get a gobble anywhere to save our lives.

First season I went out with [mention]Matthewfox_45 [/mention] on opening day. He had been watching a bird come off of public every morning. Unfortunately for us someone beat us to the spot. I had another public spot in mind and we ventured that way mid morning. Right away we got a response. Unfortunately the Tom was henned up and ultimately decided to follow his hens instead of coming our way. Matt was bow hunting without a blind and we had a flock of jakes come in, they closed the distance in a hurry and he was unable to get drawn before they were on top of us.

Second season I headed to Nebraska for their shotgun opener. I had just locked down permission to some private ground a few days before we left. I knew the private piece pretty as I have hunted public next to it and could watch the birds move around on the piece as I twirled my thumbs on public. Now I had access to the piece where the birds roosted and I was stoked. I knew it was still going to be tough though as there’s maybe 200 trees spread across the 1000 acres of private. Friday we left Iowa around noon and it was 80ish degrees and by the time we got to our destination it was a chilly 50, I didn’t think much of the weather when we packed so all I brought was my light pair of pants and jacket along with a sweatshirt. We spent the last hour of daylight confirming what I suspected and roosted the birds in the tree they always roost in.
Saturday morning we woke up to 26 degrees and 40mph winds. We snuck in to about 200 yards from the roost tree. This was the last tree before the roost tree. Set up the decoys and waited. As the birds began to fly down the toms began chasing each other around every where. Unfortunately where we sat it was hard to see anything other than straight ahead of us due to the topography. A short while later here comes 6 hens with a tom following and right towards the decoys the front hens get to about 50 yards and spook and run off taking the tom with them. I’m guessing this had to do with there being no sun and we weren’t able to wide well without shadows. Maybe 10 minutes later a strutter begins working his way in. It’s still pretty dark with the clouds and we are in taller grass. Well he hangs up behind one clump of even taller grass and I had a hard time really guessing the yardage he was at. So here I am asking my buddy how far but he’s deaf in his left ear and of course I’m on his left side so he can’t hear me. So I’m aiming at this tom, trying to figure out how far he is, thinking he’s at 80 yards. Well he gets spooky and takes off running. So we sit awhile longer with no luck and I stand up and realize when he was hung up strutting he was at 35 yards and I should have dusted him. We decided to walk the 2.5 miles back to the car to warm up and dry off as it had started to rain. We ended up running into town and grabbing some subway as well. Saturday night we figured we’d go back to the same tree sat on that morning but we were going to build a blind. We knew we could sneak out due to the topography so we didn’t care that we were so close to the roost tree. We sat all afternoon and Chase finally says “don’t move” turns out we had 3 jakes sneak in on us from the east. They walked behind us at 3 yards and went west. A little while later I tell him I can hear a ton spitting and drumming to the WSW of us. So I’m trying to look and I can’t see anything.
e3cbc20fab4d401ea79473e76e89a5ad.jpg

As you can see we are down in a drainage that has pretty tall sides probably 15 feet then you get to the actual hillside. Now you might think why would you handicap yourself like that, well that’s the only places that had trees and you could get close to the turkeys. So here I am able to hear this tom plain as day and I finally start to see little heads popping up on the side of the drainage next thing you know I can see the Tom strutting right on the edge. 15 yards away. Could I turn and shoot him? Maybe, but I couldn’t see what was past him so I wasn’t about to shoot the shot, I knew we had about 10-15 minutes of shooting light left as well so I wasn’t too worried that they wouldn’t make their way into the drainage like they did the night before. Well as luck would have it shooting light ends and here comes the tom marching into the decoys and strutting his stuff. We could only sit and watch. We got out without busting the roost
Sunday morning I said rather than getting close to the roost we’ll try to cut the turkeys off as they always go the same direction every time I’ve watched them. So we do just that, maybe 20-30 min after fly down here comes the first turkeys 3 hens and 4 jakes the jakes walk right into the decoys then leave. We can hear the toms gobbling by the roost so I was going to get up and get a little closer to see if I could find them. Right as I stand up a turkey gobbles close. I lay flat on my belly and can see the tom coming at 60 yards, we gets to about 45 and wants nothing to do with the decoys and turns to go where the jakes and hens went and my buddy whacks him. His first ever rio. You can see they nice grasslands we were hunting them in.
f593262fa7f533d65e3222c2583ad125.jpg

Turns out it was also a triple beard.
6a8e38fae3a70459ce302bc044878dd1.jpg

We chased some birds around attempted some traps with no luck the rest of the afternoon then decided we’d try the roost trees one final time, this time we sat right under the roost trees in a wash out wide enough to squeeze into and deep enough just our shoulders and heads were out. Unfortunately again the birds didn’t make it back in time. So we spent our last night sleeping in the rental car before driving home in the morning. I thanked the farmer for letting us hunt and he said next year to come out a day earlier and he’d show us more of his farms and better spots.

So I get back to Iowa and start planning things get my second fourth season tag bought, get the wife on to her hunters safety. I knew this year was going to be tougher than last year because I was starting the year down three farms where we killed birds last year. But I reach out and ask landowners and find out I’ll be down the farm I’ve killed 90% of the turkeys on the last few years. I can’t fault the guy either. So now it’s a scramble as I have about a week to figure things out and currently have 0 farms to hunt. I cancel plans to take a couple people explaining to them that it’s just not going to work out this year.
So fourth season comes and my friend, Connie, wants to go on the first Friday of the season and I have taken her the last couple years. I’m best friends with her and her husband and wasn’t going to cancel on her. So her husband and I went out and scouted for a couple birds that he had been seeing. With no luck we went with plan B, a complete shot in the dark. I had been looking at a piece and I knew there was turkeys in the area so we got up in the morning and went there in the dark and started putting the blind up right where I wanted to. As we were putting the blind up a turkey gobbled dang near on top of us, so we quickly hurried and got in the blind before it got any lighter out. Now there’s a trend when I take Connie hunting and that is they are short quick hunts! Her first turkey was at 6:05am and second turkey was at 6:35am. We worried that maybe the Tom that gobbled saw us as we didn’t hear much more out of him. I figured fly down was going to be around 6:00 that morning so I waited til 5:57 to do my first yelp and he gobbled right alway. Game on. I called a little more as hens started yelping around us and next thing you know I look over to see the tom entering the field. A little bit of strutting and he was on his way over. As in Connie fashion she hammered him. You can watch all of her hunts on my YouTube if you are bored.
919121072e59e6c0138c99423ecb17c4.jpg

Only missing feather
da8e44116028534912318b733f82e073.jpg

https://youtu.be/VLtRS_ZAjWI

Next up was my wife Ashlyn. Ashlyn tends to have the opposite luck of Connie and it’s usually a marathon of a season. Unfortunately she doesn’t get a lot of time of work unlike me and the others but she tries. So I asked a buddy if I could take her to his farm to try and get her second turkey ever. Chase said he’d come and sit with us and help carry stuff in. So we go in to a spot I figured there’s be a bunch of birds and boy was I wrong. We got to listen to a bunch of birds gobble at a distance and nothing ever close. So we hang out and around 6:35 we get plagued by jakes. 9 of them in fact. But we keep hunting til 9 then decided we better go get the work done that we said we’d do for the guy allowing us to hunt and so we went and did that.
The Monday after Chase and I went back to where Connie had killed her turkey as we knew there was a few other toms there. Sat up a blind as we knew they were most likely using a field to strut in. Well they definitely strutted in it….on the other side. We tried making a few moves on a couple birds to either be messed up by spooked deer or the turkey just to go quiet and disappear.
Friday I got out for a hunt and went to a spot where I have seen turkeys in the past. And I get to a small plot that’s a horseshoe shape with trees in the middle of the horseshoe. I tell myself as I’m walking in I’m going to the north side but I hear a gobble to the south as I’m entering the plot so I go to the south side. Once I get get the decoys placed and sat down a bird starts gobbling to the north. I knew it. Well that bird flies down answers my calls and enters the plot on the north side (can tell by the gobbles) then he goes quiet. So I’m sitting here thinking he’s making a move towards me and I’m ready and waiting for him and nothing for an hour. So I’m like I guess I’ll go north and see if I can find him so I work my way into the timber to the north a little calling and I finally hear him to my SW. This dang turkey walked out the same gate opening I walked into to get into the plot and was out in a big field strutting. So I get a little closer using the covers of the trees and set up and call and he won’t budge. I look over and see a nice antler though
dc63c670683d2ce883994c493a7f5a20.jpg

So I go back to the gate opening and set my decoys down because I’m going to chase this turkey, he’s gobbling well again. Surely I won’t have to go to far to kill him. I go from the gate opening to the first finger of tress in the field and call and of course at this point he’s made it to the next finger so I walk down into the bottom draw and up to the next finger and call. Perfect he’s still at the end of this finger so I walk up the middle of it staying concealed and get almost to the point and I call. And he responds…in the next finger… so this whole time I’m getting further and further away from my decoys and closer and closer to my car. Well I decide I better peak over the hill and see where he is before I move and he’s on the far side of the next finger strutting in the field towards the base of the next finger. So back down into the draw I go and I get to about 100 yards from where I last see him and call and boom he’s still there and I rush to sit down. He isn’t budging and gobbling on his own. So I know where he is and I know I’m going to run out of cover around 75 yards from him but I sneak one tree at a time and get to the final tree I can sit under and sit down. Mind you he is still gobbling to hear himself gobble. So I get sat down and I have three medium cedar trees in a line between me and him they are about 20 yards from me and he’s probably 45 yards further than they are. So I call and he cuts me off and I can finally see him through the cedars strutting back and forth. He does not want to leave the field even to go into the grass. So I play the quiet game and that does nothing so I get aggressive on the call and he just gobbles and struts. So this goes on for awhile. Quiet, aggressive, quiet, normal, quiet. This turkey won’t budge. I get aggressive one more time and I watch him take one more step to the east than he had been and knew here he comes. Right on a string to where I thought he’d go and I got him at 30 yards. Yeah I could hanger let him keep coming but with the way my season was going my luck is he’d take off running the other way behind a tree or something. First turkey I’ve killed on that piece in 7 years.
c2e4780d5020af20094e9656b6eb3ea9.jpg

Saturday Ashlyn and I tried another farm that I got permission on the day before and we go and set up where I know is a proven spot and right way were welcomed with gobbles near by. (This year I bought a red dot for my shotgun to help Ashlyn aim easier. We practiced looking down it a little at home and she seemed to like it.) Well before we know it here comes two toms right off the roost into the decoys. All I can hear Ashlyn say is “I can’t see the dot”. Well I know for a fact I turned it on. I tell her to relax and just try to find it by moving her head around. Before she could find it the toms had moved off to the side of the blind not allowing her a shot. I could have filled one of my tags pretty easily but this was her hunt so they lived to see another day shortly after the farmer started planting the field we were in and we watched the turkeys run off so we called it a day. Turns out my wife is right handed but left eye dominant so when she was trying to aim she was closing her right eye. I tried it while aiming and it made it very awkward to try to find the dot. So it all made sense on why she wasn’t able to find the dot. Well we went and we practiced shooting left handed for her and she said it felt a lot better and more natural. So that was an easy fix. Sunday morning we didn’t go because the weather was iffy and my wife is a fair weather hunter so I told her if she took Tuesday off I’d take her back down to where we hunted and she could sleep more. Tuesday it was we got up and got in to where we hunted on Saturday and had turkeys gobbling close again however this time they went away from us on the roost. They eventually worked into the same field as us but a few hundred yards away and we watched them strut in and out of the fog for what seemed like hours. Eventually around 9 one tom broke off and headed our way. I didn’t set the jake decoy up that morning and it ended up being a mistake because the tom ended up hanging out at 50 yards strutting. I know the gun is more than capable of killing a turkey that far but I’m not chancing my animal loving wife wounding one. I mean you might remember she bawled her eyes out before she killed her turkey last year. So he moved off and we didn’t have any luck the rest of the day. That ended up being her last hunt of the year due to other commitments.

This last Friday Chase and I went to a new public piece and hunted in the rain 7.5 miles of walking according to my iPhone and never had a turkey give us a play. The mud, Saturday was crazy windy and I was tired of getting my butt kicked so I took a day to rest. Yesterday we hunted and sat up on a bird only for it to go the other way so I thought we’d try to cut them off. Well we put the decoy up and when we sat down you couldn’t see the decoy but we figured we’d still be able to see a turkey if it came in to the decoy because if we sat up high enough we could see the top of the decoy’s head. Boy were we wrong not even ten minutes pass and we can hear the decoy getting pecked and wings hitting it. I can see the turkeys head every once in a while through the grass but my thought was to just kneel up and shoot him because he’s plenty distracted. Boy was I wrong as soon as I got up enough to shoot that turkey bolted. I tried to shoot him on the run with a Hail Mary with no luck.

This was my worst turkey season in a few years by far and I was ready to be done hunting before I even started fourth season. Lost all my excitement for it pretty quickly. But here’s to next year. I hope everyone had a fun season. I’m happy Ashlyn and I got one turkey to enjoy as it’s our favorite meal.

Last edited:
That’s a lot of great material for a “brutal season”. Well done…. Why we do this.. ain’t easy!!!

Top Bottom